Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
LGL
Winnebago Watcher

New to RVing - Which one???

Hi, looks like a great forum and would love your points of view on buying a 2021 View 24D versus a 2021 Minnie Winnie 26T.

I understand they are apples and oranges but after reading several posts here, it seems that although the 24D is supposed to be luxurious there are common problems with fits, finishes, sway, etc. and that maybe you don't get your money's worth. One member commented that you're driving a basic Mercedes van and not a Mercedes sedan.

I just returned from a 9 day 2,900 mile trip in a 25' Four Winds RV. The trip was great, the Ford E450, however, left a LOT to be desired. The floor, especially on the driver's side, was always uncomfortably hot and same with the center console. We were only 2 people and the Ford always seemed to lumber along. I assume the Mercedes in the 24D drives much more smoothly but I wondered how to compare or think about its 188hp/325ft Torque and 11,000 gross weight with the 26T's 350hp/468ft 14,500 gross weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If the View is preferable hands down, is there a big advantage to the 2021 vs. buying a used 2019 with less than 10k miles?
Thank you.
LGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
RVCalypso

We have a Minnie Winnie 25B on the Ford Chassis. I don't think there is a difference in fit and finish between the 24D and the 26T. The Ford chassis is not going to get the gas mileage of the Mercedes, however, you can buy alot of fuel for the price difference. I would tale a good look at the cargo capacity and storage. If you are a camper, will all your outside gear fit? We love our Minnie Winnie! As for new versus used, I have bought my last new unit! We bought our Minnie Winnie used 7,850 miles on it. The other two RV's were purchased new and we took the depreciation hit.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We purchased our 2021 View 24D in early June.

While we've had a few minor issues, nothing big - and completely satisfied with our purchase.

We haven't noticed a major issue with sway, except when going up/down steep driveways. Handling on the road is easy - not much different than driving a large SUV or minivan, other than not being able to see out the rear view mirror.

The 24D floor plan provide the most flexibility we found in a 25' Class C.

The U-shaped dinette provides fairly comfortable dining for 4 - and can squeeze 6. Plus another 2 can sit on the sofa and eat on the second table.

If you have friends/family visiting, there's a lot of seating, with the dinette, sofa and rotating the cab seats - 9 to 10 pretty easily.

With 3 sleeping areas (murphy bed, dinette and overcab), there's sleeping for 6 (1 would likely need to be a kid).

The galley has extra counter space, unusual for a small Class C.

And during the day, with the slide out and the murphy bed up, there's a lot of floor space - you don't feel cramped.

As gurroz mentioned, one issue is storage - there has to be a compromise somewhere. The exterior storage is on the low end for the 25' Class C models. But you gain back some storage space inside with the storage under the U-shaped dinette plus the overcab (if you don't use it as a bed).

While there isn't a separate sleeping/bedroom like some other floor plans, there is a curtain that can go around the murphy bed (while it's down) and a second curtain for the overcab bed (if not used for storage), providing some privacy if more than a couple are travelling.

When we researched the various 25' Class C's, we realized we'd have to make a compromise no matter what choice we made - and made the fewest compromises with the 24D.

We typically get between 12-16 MPG (auto diesel), driving at least 65 MPH (and up to 80 MPH, depending upon the wind and road conditions).

We also use the Android Auto feature with the 10.5" MBUX console, providing upgraded navigation and access to Android media/streaming apps (like SiriusXM).
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi LGL,
The E-450 is only just now coming out with the 350 horsepower V-8. The old V-10 just produces 305 horsepower. I suspect that the Four Winds which you drove was the lower-horsepower V-10. Another difference is that the new V-8 is smaller on the outside, so the dog house likewise is smaller too. You have more room to move around the cab that way.
Another change was the Transmission, which changed from a 5-speed to a 6-speed in 2017. The big advantage with the 6-speed is the uniform spacing between the gears. The 6-speed doesn't do the 5th to 4th to 3rd scream, and is a much more calm driving experience.
What year was the Four Winds which you rented? Have you also considered what I bought, which is a 22M with an E-450 Frame? It depends upon how much touring versus camping you are doing, but in general, the smaller the Motorhome, the more places you can park it, and the easier it is to drive. Of course, the 22M with the E-450 frame has a very generous payload capacity, and if you planned upon towing anything, might be worth considering too.
So, I believe you are comparing an apple to an orange to a grapefruit.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 10-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I evaluated the Winnebago View and Via (a short Class A on a Sprinter chassis) and a Thor Axis twin bed Class A based on a Ford 350 gasser chassis, long and hard before I recently ordered a Thor. Here are some of the issues that affected my decision:

Gas vs Diesel- I concluded it was mostly a wash: better fuel economy for the diesel vs less fuel cost and maintenance for the gasser. On top of that is the potential for a disabling emissions crash for the diesel. Power is more on the gasser and low speed torque is about equal.

Thor vs Winnebago- On a quality scale of 1 to 10, I would put the Thor at a 3-4 and the Winnebago at a 5-6 exceeded by the Tiffin at a 7 for not much more money. The Tiffin Wayfarer is a very nice Class C.

Class C vs a short A- With the same overall length (about 25.5') and a bit more width and a longer wheelbase for the Thor, the Thor will be less maneuverable but not particularly limiting to the point of needing a toad. The longer wheelbase does have a significant advantage for stability. Will have to see how the driving experience goes.

Generally short Class As feel more roomy inside since they are often wider and the cab width does not squeeze down. Swiveling the passenger seat can really make it part of the living room.

I wish Winnebago still made the Via but if they did the price would be much higher than the View and a lot, lot higher than the Thor.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

One advantage of diesel is that a diesel generator will share the fuel tank, providing longer time for running the generator.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
One advantage of diesel is that a diesel generator will share the fuel tank, providing longer time for running the generator.
If you have a diesel generator, yes. It is an option on the View/Navion. Virtually all gas MHs also have gasoline generators which provides longer running time although gas generators burn more fuel for the same KW as diesel, although gas MH tanks are twice as big.

David
Old 10-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #8
LGL
Winnebago Watcher

thank you David for the thoughtful reply. Why do you think the Tiffin is so much better? I'm not familiar with it but will look.
Also, my experience with the Ford E450 was not good. The floor on driver's side (and passenger) became very hot after 30 minutes of driving in mid-Sep at 65mph and it just felt like a very heavy truck.
LGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have seen hot floors on some trucks. Maybe you can put a layer of Fatmat or similar underneath it to insulate that area. But getting to it underneath could be a killer.

I based my quality ratings about 50/50 between personal observations and problems reported by owners on the coaches' respective forums. Tiffin clearly has more happy owners than anyone else. Plus the Wayfarer just looks great.

David