Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to RVing. Planning to buy a MIcro Minnie

After doing some research, I really like the 2108DS Micro Minnie. My husband and I like the idea of having the sofa and dinette, and want a rather small size trailer that still has all we want for comfort. I realize that the different models are a personal preference, but I don’t want to be sorry after a purchase. The Murphy bed is full size, which should be fine for my husband and I. It is hard, though. The other 2108s have bigger beds, and I think more storage in bed area. Any thought on the different models? We have 2 grandchildren, going on 3,...so far, but they don’t live nearby and we will most often be traveling alone. There is so much to know about RVing, so I will be happy for advice of must have’s, (Rearview camera? Internet/WiFi booster stuff?) Extras that are not necessary.what to do and not do. I also will need to order the Micro Minnie....maybe in December...to have it for Spring. (Also, it would be nice to know the size of the bedroom area storage, and other storage areas and perhaps get some storage containers.) Maybe some of the less expensive needed extras can be Christmas gifts.
Winniewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniewon View Post
After doing some research, I really like the 2108DS Micro Minnie. My husband and I like the idea of having the sofa and dinette, and want a rather small size trailer that still has all we want for comfort. I realize that the different models are a personal preference, but I don’t want to be sorry after a purchase. The Murphy bed is full size, which should be fine for my husband and I. It is hard, though. The other 2108s have bigger beds, and I think more storage in bed area. Any thought on the different models? We have 2 grandchildren, going on 3,...so far, but they don’t live nearby and we will most often be traveling alone. There is so much to know about RVing, so I will be happy for advice of must have’s, (Rearview camera? Internet/WiFi booster stuff?) Extras that are not necessary.what to do and not do. I also will need to order the Micro Minnie....maybe in December...to have it for Spring. (Also, it would be nice to know the size of the bedroom area storage, and other storage areas and perhaps get some storage containers.) Maybe some of the less expensive needed extras can be Christmas gifts.
I guess my recommendation is in how much of a priority , is having comfortable and not needing to convert, sleeping arrangements for your two Grand Kids...as well as perhaps your son/daughter/husband/wife. If so..I'd recommend a model that has the back bunk beds, for the kids, Usually two (some models with three!), with the Dinette or couch that their parents can bunk out on, when they are also with you....and...the flat surfaces of the bunks, can be usable storage for such items as pantry, clothing, or linens...stuff like that...even....a great place to go and grab that wind breaker, or more warm, later month's coat, for Fall camping. You can even make a valance to cover both front of the bunks from ceiling to floor to block off, what you have stored on those bunks, for when the two of you are alone.

I don't know the ages of your grand children...but having the opportunity to have them with you on a vacation, will certainly enrich your lives...as well as give your son or daughter a break from parenting responsibilities. So..as I see it...the best of both anticipating usage-worlds...true beds for the grand kids, you get to keep your Dinette or Couch, in a non-sleep usage mode, and with the added storage (flat space) of the bunks...you are all set to go, in any form of usage enjoyment and anticipation. IF you have your G.C. with you...there will be many times, that they will be put to bed..or put themselves to bed (full-camping event-tired!) , and the adults can STILL use features of the coach to sit down, have conversation, watch a movie...whatever...and not because you need sleeping arrangements on either the Dinette, or Couch (and the mid-floor plan positions,they hold), those living areas of the unit are in-purpose--> verboten. Whatever you decide...cheers, and have fun!

1700BH/1800BH/2100BH

Sun Seeker.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have the 2106DS, which has the second couch, apparently now an option on the 2108DS. I preferred that because the slide is narrower and lighter, and also we don't really need a four person dinette or the sleeping. I sort of wish they offered a two person dinette slide, because the second couch isn't all that needed for the two of us.

Anyway, we find the storage fine. The front compartment is rather large and we hardly use the front wardrobes. The dinette would give you more places to put stuff on the floor than the couch setup I have. We have a cat, so that would be nice (food bowls and stuff).

My question would be what are you planning to tow with? Many people get fooled by max tow ratings for their vehicles.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I have the 2106DS, which has the second couch, apparently now an option on the 2108DS. I preferred that because the slide is narrower and lighter, and also we don't really need a four person dinette or the sleeping. I sort of wish they offered a two person dinette slide, because the second couch isn't all that needed for the two of us.
Edit goes away quickly here!

I just wanted to add to that one paragraph. The one time the second couch is nice is when the bed is down, for example if the wife wants to lay down on the bed. I guess with the dinette you could make that into a bed and still have a couch, but that's a bit slower to do and you don't have the privacy shade around the dinette to cut off the lights a bit.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Response to Goodspike

My husband is planning to get a Colorado Duramax, also. Thanks for the responses, so far to my questions. I welcome any of your helpful suggestions.
Winniewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniewon View Post
My husband is planning to get a Colorado Duramax, also. Thanks for the responses, so far to my questions. I welcome any of your helpful suggestions.
I really like my Colorado Duramax, but the choice was driven by wanting something that fit in my garage.

At the time none of the three new 3.0 full size diesel engines were available. Ford, GM and Ram each offer one. Undoubtedly a bit more expensive, but also more capable. And the 3.0 Chevy gets better fuel mileage than the 2.8 Colorado Duramax and comes with a 100,000 mile engine warranty.

My concern though would be each engine is new, and so reliability might be a bit uncertain.

Oh, and on the Colorado, Boost Towing Mirrors are a great addition, even if you don't tow a lot. Not terribly difficult to install, but best a two person job.

https://boostautoparts.com/pages/pro...n_id=399481735

Also, the exhaust brake works really well towing with the 2.8. Only the GM 3.0 offers an exhaust brake, but I'm not sure it works as well.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We are new to RVing too. We just bought a used Minnie Winnie (class C). We went back and forth back and forth about getting a trailer or a class C. Now, I'm really very glad we got the class C. One of the reasons is that to tow a trailer we needed to buy a different vehicle. After researching, it turned out the SUV or truck needed to be much bigger than we really wanted. And the overall cost of the project was sky-rocketing (going from $30-50k up to $70-90k). It just wasn't really working out to be something we all really wanted. It's one thing to spend $50k on a new car/SUV/truck you love. It's something else (craziness maybe) to spend it on something you don't even really like. We kept looking and trying to find good solutions but everything ended up in compromise. Well, we just focused more on the basics - what really matters. And that helped us narrow down what we needed.

Basically, I think you should prioritize a few things and then compromise on the rest. For us, length was a big issue. We wanted something under 25 feet long because a few spots we want to take it only have spaces 25 feet long and being new to RVing we didn't want something giant that would be hard to navigate. Then bed size was a big issue. We have a family of pretty tall people and we needed 3 beds that would comfortable suit tall people. That's a real challenge under 25' !! Lastly, we wanted a dry bath. So other things we liked, outdoor kitchen, separate seating besides dinette, solar-ready, etc were 'nice to haves' not deal breakers. And of course, you're limited by location and inventory. I found some great options but they were too far away to be reasonable. Likewise, I found some private sellers but that had its own problems.

My suggestion is to make a list and divide into 'must haves' and 'nice to haves.' Then go from there. And if you can, see everything in person. It's soooo different in person.
CoffeeLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

For you and the grand kids...this is the one! Heck, for the whole family, you, your children, and their children...

The 2306 gives you all check off boxes...and is only 2 (two) feet longer...but that two extra feet gives you a great galley and bathroom. Tons of storage opportunities under the lower bunk, as well as on top both of them.

Personally, I think this is the do-all trailer for you folks. Still can be put into a 25 foot camping site ( that gives you practically EVERY campsite, even ones technically laid out for tents)..., so (I feel) this unit and length, is not a 'off the list' doobie. I wouldn't think so, anyways. Check it out!

Give me feedback? What do YOU folks think?

Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We recently traded up to the 2306BHS from a Jayco Hummingbird tear drop that is quite a bit smaller than the 2306BHS. We also have 2 grandchildren that are 8 and 10 and travel with us from time to time. That is why we decided to go with the bunk house - the kids love having their own area and we appreciate the extra storage space when they are not with us. We have been able to go from a 1 ton van as the tow vehicle to a 1/2 ton pickup because we can fit our folding bikes in the bunkhouse. We also have the full-sized murphy bed that you are concerned about. The first thing we did was remove the mattress that came with the bed and replaced it with a bed-in-a-box foam mattress that is much more comfortable and still works with the murphy bed. I suggest you look at the 2306BHS before making your purchase. It is still a Micro-Mini, but it has the weight limits of the larger Mini Winnie series because it uses the larger series double axles. We are very pleased with ours after a couple years and several trips - the grand kids approve, too!
KT in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I can comment on the exhaust brake on the 3.0 duramax. It works quite well, we just completed the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah NP) and Blue Ridge Parkway and the exhaust brake came on a few times. Including once when we exited on a side road and it had a 15% grade! My only complaint is getting the braking to stop when we needed to accelerate it would sometimes take some “coaxing”.

Chevrolet Silverado RST Z71 Duramax 3.0l
Blacktoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktoe View Post
I can comment on the exhaust brake on the 3.0 duramax. It works quite well, we just completed the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah NP) and Blue Ridge Parkway and the exhaust brake came on a few times. Including once when we exited on a side road and it had a 15% grade! My only complaint is getting the braking to stop when we needed to accelerate it would sometimes take some “coaxing”.
Thanks. My comment was based on The Fast Lane Truck's Ike Gauntlet test, where it didn't seem to do much. When I first saw that I didn't put it past them that they screwed something up, but seemingly a downshift would have helped.

The exhaust brake works really well on my 2.8 Duramax when towing, but it is weight sensitive and really doesn't do much at all with an empty truck unless you downshift.

I don't know why Ford and Ram don't offer exhaust brakes.