Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to RVing

We are the proud owners of a 2019 Micro Minnie 2106FBS. This has been a dream of ours for 20 years, have been shopping for almost a year and will be “getting on the road” for the first time in mid April. We’ve been reading the internet, watching YouTube videos and are realizing we know very little and there is a LOT to know. Within this next month we’ll be purchasing some of the big ticket items, brake controller for our F150, surge protectors, then will start collecting the other essentials like hoses, black water sewer hose, etc. We bought from a private individual so don’t have a dealer to fall back on or someone to teach us how to back up our trailer, etc. Just writing this puts my belly in knots! All advice welcome.
GrannyWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

When I got my 5th Wheel (3rigs ago) the second thing I did was find an empty parking lot. Get some orange cones and practice turns, front and back. Try backing into tight spots bad angles all of that sort of stuff. The empty parking lot makes all very easy. The hardest thing about backing is the actions of the person on the outside trying to help. You will need to get your hand signals down so each knows what the other wants you to do. I ended up getting a walkie talkie to help. Again all goes to practice!

I would make your first outing at a park near your home. This way if you need something its close by. Do not be afraid to ask questions as all of us have been there one time or another. I will admit its fun to be at a park and watch a new person set up for the first time. Go and enjoy
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Right on!, we have an almost identical trailer, the 2108FBS, you'll love the layout and full shower.
The 21xx chassis is a very stable towing platform and nice size that doesn't require a lot of campsite planning size wise. for backing it up if you need to practice just find a Porsche dealership somewhere and give it a go around there on a Sunday, keep your sidekick in your mirrors where you can see him/her so you can stop when needed.

Before you run out and start buying things, very good idea as suggested above - do couple of nights close by home get the hang of it, even a park that is 10 miles from home, just to trial it out then research what you lack/need/want
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

One detail that will complicate our first trip is that our Micro Minnie is in a storage lot 2 hrs north of us in Sarasota, FL. We are in Florida for the winter and will pick up our camper on the way home to Upstate NY. We’ll be doing our first hook up in the storage lot. Our friend who has an A-liner will be with us and she has some experience with hook ups though she is fairly new to RVing also. We’ll be caravaning together as far as North Carolina. I’d planned a trip to am empty parking lot as soon as possible to practice backing up. The first night we will not travel far, probably to the Tampa area. I’d read somewhere that LazyDaz does a lesson, for a fee, for people who haven’t purchased from them. Anyone have any experience with LazyDaz?
GrannyWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, we purchased an RV at Lazydays Tampa for export to Canada back in 2011, custom ordered from Tiffin. our experience was 100% good, nothing but positive. this was a huge dealership at the time so you'll mixed reviews just based on the amount of traffic coming through. they do have an on-site campground as well, so set up camp there. there are other large dealers in FL I'm sure who can do the same, sky's the limit.

Watch YouTube a guy named travelling Robert, look at his first outings with the Winnebago.

If you're travelling back to NY, you may be heading into freezing temperatures, so get the unit winterized if you don't know how to do it yourself, this to prevent lines/valves from splitting open
which will happen for sure if you'll have it sit in sub zero with water in it.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's my tip. Before you start moving always do a final walk around. It's easy to forget stupid things, like steps, jacks, power lines, water lines, closing the roof vents, etc. Don't be in too big of a hurry.

For me it's the tongue jack because I have to raise it to install the weight distributing hitch. So you're all hooked up and ready to go, you already lowered the jack once to mount the trailer on the ball--you can't forget to do it a second time. Fortunately I've not made that mistake yet, but that's why looking under and walking around the trailer is necessary.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote