Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to RV’ing

Hello to all. We bought a 2022 micro Minnie 2108DS to be picked up late September. I have spent a number of hours reading posts on the forum. I will have to say I am a little troubled by the sheer amount of stories about electrical failures and shoddy workmanship failures in the newer production models. Also a lot of electrical mods being done for various reasons. I hope that’s not the norm for these TT. Regardless, I’m an optimist and we are excited to take our first trip. We are pulling our truck with a 2021 Tacoma. I would like to hear about any others with rigs such as ours and any recommendations. Thanks everyone and safe travels.
Cruser711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

In my experience TTs seem to be simpler or maybe it is that manufacturer's haven't gotten around to making them more complicated. As a result there is less to install wrong or go wrong.

MHs are much more complicated with built in generators, ATS and AGS systems, electronic control modules, etc. Lots more to install wrong and go wrong.

But I believe there is a strong correlation between owning and maintaining a boat and an RV and I owned cruising boats for the past 25 years. I learned that if I couldn't DIY on my boat, I didn't want the boat. Same with an RV or at least as long as my current 74 year old mind and body are able.

David
Old 09-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Reading repair forums is going to get lots more postings on repairs, so factor that in and it is certainly true that trailers are much less complex the motorhomes.

Keep in mind that motorhome electrical has three basic electrical systems starting with the normal auto system and then adding the coach and shore power systems and making several points where each of those systems effects the others.

The trailer normally only has two system and far fewer times when one effects the other, so much less chance for problems. The headlights, turn signals, and dash air never break down on trailers!

I think some of the mods done to RV are as much a factor of the age of the owner as the age/condition of the RV. Way too much time to set and think about going somewhere and figuring out too many ways to change what's setting out in the driveway???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I wish I could say something profound, but comments above are spot on. Keep in mind RV life is also about expecting things to happen and be prepared to take care of the little things. Most of us carry tools, zip ties, connectors, a few spare parts, etc. so we can keep moving down the road without having to wait on a repair person to respond or a trip to dealer if you happen to be near one.
As Morich stated, you will see many more posts about issues because few post up about the great trip they had with no issues.
Educate yourself as best you can, post here for help with issues you may run across. But dont be afraid to get out and enjoy your new TT. Welcome to the group and happy camping!
Old 09-10-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
Site Team

A key protection that you can take is to begin using your TT immediately upon leaving the dealers lot for two or more days.

Many times RVs at the dealership arrived with some number of issues. In some cases the dealer is aware of the issues but does nothing toward fixing the problems. Other times the dealer just doesn’t pay any attention to the condition of the RVs on his lot.

If you take the TT camping immediately there is a good chance you will find these problems and can get the RV back to the dealer for an immediate fix.

I can’t tell how many times we hear from people that are quick to pickup their RV but wait weeks or even months to use it for the first time. Then suddenly they find a list of issues to be fixed but by this time the dealer has moved on to other customers and has a lack of interest in these problems.

There are many reasons that using the RV immediately is inconvenient or difficult or maybe impossible, but in my opinion this is a vitally important step and can make or break your entire RV ownership for years to come.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Camp out in your trailer in your driveway if you have room, or close by if you can't, so you can sort things out. Go through your owners manual and the various systems manuals (air conditioner, refrigerator, etc.) step-by-step while in your trailer, making notes in the margin as you go.

Also, practice hitching and unhitching until you have it down pat. Always do a walk-around after hitching up, making sure that all is OK, checking your trailer lights as well.

If your tow vehicle doesn't have a backup camera, you'll find a set of these will be very helpful in hitching up:

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnet...kit-69778.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I was in your spot last April. I took delivery of my 2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH expecting to address at least some of the issues that are posted about. Fortunately, I have had no trouble with mine. I have four trips and 1400 miles of towing under my belt now and I could not be happier with our TT.

I how you enjoy yours as much as we do ours!!

And if you do have a problem, I feel confident that you can either find the answer on here or at least find your way to the answer.

This forum is also very solid for learning how to do things correctly to avoid having problems. This place is great to educate yourself on both the big picture and tiny detail of your new hobby. Thanks to you all. This is a small part of the internet that I still enjoy.
FlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote