Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New to Minnie Winnie, RVing, and site

Hello! My husband and I just bought a 2014 Minnie Winnie 31h. We have two daughters, ages 2 and 4, and just had our first family camping trip in the RV. We are loving camping and RV life so far!

We are brand new to RVing, don't know how to use a few things and have a few questions. I'm also new to this site, and I'm sure I will learn where to post in different topics with time so I appreciate your patience with me!

1. What is the difference between the holding tank heater and the water heater?
2. What kind of caulking is recommended for the seams on the roof? The old caulk is starting to deteriorate some but we don't have any leaks or water damage yet.
3. Our black water tank never shows less than 1/3 full even after emptying. Why? How do we fix it?

Thank you and I look forward to chatting and learning.
RELeesGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum.

1) The holding tank heater will keep the holding tanks above freezing so they do not freeze during cold weather. The water heater is just like in your home, it creates hot water from the cold water in the holding tank, or fresh water supply if connected to a hook up.
2) I have never had to use that, but if you check out your local dealer parts department you should be able to find what you need.
3) There could be a sensor that is covered, but please know the tank indicators are notorious for being somewhat finicky. Do you have a black tank flush? If so connect a hose and run it and then drain the tank in an approved clean out dump and see if that helps. So far that has worked for me. I have also read about inserting a wand through the toilet to clean that way as well, although could be a bit messier. Others will have more suggestions as they come along to welcome you.

Again, welcome to the board.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Hi and congrats on yor new rig.

In answer to your questions, let me offer my bit;

1) Holding Tank Heater vs Hot Water Heater. Holding tank heaters are usually external pads attached to your Greay and Black Water holding tanks, and are only needed to be switched on when you are camping in below freezing weather. THey are designed to keep your waste waters (grey & black) from freezing. Your HW heater is just what you'd expect it to be. It is similar to your hot water tank at home; it's purpose is to supply you with on board hot water. The tank is usually 6 gallons and is usually propane powered but can be both propane and electric.
Be aware that using your tank heaters is a very large current draw and unless you're plugged in will very rapidly deplete your batteries.
2) Caulking; go to the Winnebago web site and work your way through to the Owners Tools section. THere is a wealth of information there, sealant sheets, electrical and water schematics, and a very cool 3D parts program that allows you to see through bulkheads and rotate the view to see location of parts.
Tis link should get you to the sealant sheet for your rig;
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...00_sealant.pdf
3) Black Water Sensor inaccurate; sorry, no too much you can do about it. All these sensors are nortoriously inaccurate. You can try cleaning the inside of your Black Water tank with a wand done through the head (toilet) but I don't hold out a lot of hope for you.
Use something like this Valterra A01-0184VP Master Blaster Tank Wand, or for a more permanent (and cleaner flush) install a Black Water Tank Flushing system
Camco 40126 RV Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser with Hose

After dumping your tanks look down the toilet into the tank and see if the tank is empty and you'll know pretty quick if you simply have a bad sensor. You can buy a scope that works with your phone to really see whats going on
Something like this;
https://www.amazon.ca/BlueFire-Semi-...pe-Smartphones

If you are satisfied your tank is empty you could try replacing the sensor, but again I suggest you simply keep in mind your lower third sensor doesn't work.

Again, welcome, enjoy your rig and use the Winnebago Owners page

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-tools

There's always something to do on these things - part of the fun and joy of owning one.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much! It makes sense now about the holding tank heaters. We haven't tried using a hose/sprayer on the black tank yet but that's our next task. I'll check out the Winnebago owners page.
RELeesGhost is offline   Reply With Quote