Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New"to me" Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Haven't dropped down on my knees or crawled up under our "new to us" MH but wondering where and how easy it is to locate the inside tires (tag axle) valve stems? No humorous remarks please.

One would think with extenders, they would be piercing through the hubs of the front rims. Right?? Where else would they be??
Hwy Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Believe it or not, I find this is one that depends on the size of your hands and smaller is better, so I let my wife do it! If your hand fits through the openings or you can get it between the tires, things are easy. Mine don't!
Where they are depends on what size was put on before and that makes it a guess at times but I found mine when putting on extensions for mounting tire monitors. Not easy but workable.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Take a flashlight and look through the outside rims' vent holes on the duals - usually FTL will line them up. Extenders can be installed by any good truck shop. The tag axle valve stems should be readily visible.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have found that the investment in Dually Valve Stems was well worth the money.
Depending where you are there may be a distributor in your area, or you can call Dually direct and they will ship to you.

The inside valve stems are there. As Richard said, small hands may find them easier. Also use a strong flashlight and look through each hole and you may see it.

You will need a truckers air chuck and gauge. It will be a long stem with a double head with one head being about 45 degrees offset. The idea is to put the 45 degree end through the hole and pull backward on the valve stem to fill it. With the Dually valve stems they will all be on the outside and accessible.

I have a 2015 Tour 42qd, a sister to yours.

p.s., typically the valve stems on dually's will be 180 degrees offset, give or take a couple rim holes.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca