Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to me 2108FBS

Hi I am a Traveling Respiratory Therapist. I started traveling in 2002 except for a brief local stay for 6 years I have been staffing hospitals 13 weeks at a time. When I had an assignment Alaska I wanted a camper so bad but never bought one then the Economy issues in ‘09 when I ended my Assignment had me staying home. I started Traveling again in 2016 and found the industry had changed. The housing was not as nice. Air BnB is the big thing and I am not fond of that type of housing.
And now with COVID I am not embracing the thought of rental housewares and linen.

So I am going to try taking my home with me.

I grew up camping. Mom and Dad took us to a campground in the Southern Tier of NYS in April for the weekends and when snow flew in October we packed up. During the summer we stayed 24/7. We had the run of the Mountain.

We started in a large cabin tent and when I was 7 or 8 we bought a pop up. By the time I graduated HS and went to college we were in a 30+ feet Dutchman.
As an adult I have tent camped but not for 10 years because my bones don’t like the ground.
The last major camping I did was in 2009 when I lived in a tent for 6 weeks with my cat near a Job 2 hours from home. Until I was rained out, I mean flooded out.

So now I am trying with a camper on my own.

I am in process of getting my hitch and cooler placed on my Pilot and will hit the road in August.
RRT.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi RRT Traveler,
It all sounds like a great adventure. The 2019 2108FS looks like the perfect trailer; not too big, but still plenty of room inside. I bet you will end-up seeing so much of the USA this way. I have met traveling nurses who come to help out at the Willapa Harbor Hospital, and I've often wondered what folks think of such a small town after their tour of duty. Will the Honda Pilot be OK to pull the trailer? It looks like you might be 400 pounds overweight, even with the trailer empty. Hopefully, the auxiliary cooler will keep things in-check.
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 05-12-2021, 03:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The Pilot can tow 5000 pounds. So I don’t think I will be over weight.

I love small towns. I love exploring the country side. Small hospitals have their charm and great people.
RRT.Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRT.Traveler View Post
The Pilot can tow 5000 pounds. So I don’t think I will be over weight.

I love small towns. I love exploring the country side. Small hospitals have their charm and great people.
Generally speaking, vehicles with unibody construction, such as the Pilot, cannot be used with a weight distributing hitch. You should check with Honda on hitch options before making a decision on trailer. Also the Pilot has a short wheelbase compared with the length and cross-section of the 2108. This means you would be safer towing with a hitch with sway control. There are members on the forum who tow with the unibody Honda Ridgeline. Might be a good idea to ask them how they set it up to tow 2108 series.

Have fun in your travels and be safe.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Therapist,
Be sure to read through the “Best vehicle to tow micro Minnie” thread. There are several Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline owners towing MM who have posted there. You can hook up with them by private message.