Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New to Class A RV's

I am looking at getting a new Adventurer 29B or 30T. I also found out there will be a new National Parks version on a 29V (Vista Series). Apparently both of the Adventurers will be discontinued in 2023. I have also looked at the Newmar 3014.

We want to stay under 32' so that we can pretty much camp anywhere. I currently have a 2007 Lance 1181 camper on a 2007 Chev 3500 (SRW) with a diesel motor. We have just semiretired and are hoping to do considerable traveling aroud the US.

I am hoping to get some input from you guys on the various units, pros and cons.

Thanks
pww1fishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Interesting news about the Adventurers being discontinued. I had not heard this yet.

The Newmar Bay Star 3014 is a great coach and probably upmarket from the Adventurer/Vista models.

About the shorter length - I hear this comment from those shopping for a first Class A and to be honest it certainly was on my mind when I bought my 37' Class A in 2017. I had a hard and fast rule while we were shopping "nothing over 34'." Oh, well. Best laid plans.

So far we've traveled 45,000 miles over 5 years and there have been 3 or maybe 4 times that the 37 feet caused us to miss a location. But certainly not more than that.

But the times we're thrilled with the extra length of our RV - well, that's 100% of the time.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

X2 what Creative said!

Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I should've bought the smaller one"!
Old 06-22-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay with differing ideas?
We last traded because we wanted a smaller one!

But then that is one of those things we will never know until we have actually tried it for ourself. We thought we had used longer at 37 and it fit at the time so we went with that size again, only to find we no longer wanted to go on months long trips which worked well when we were staying in one place much longer. Volunteering for parks, Workamper, etc. made us want more room and move less often.

But once we got tired of "seeing the country" we wanted to just go quick and easy and do the sites where we could not get into easily with the bigger bus, so we thought it over carefully, asked ourself who was actually likely to go with us and moved to smaller!

We do not like boondocking or the parking lot deal, so much of the time we were wanting to get in next to a nice lake, away from the playground or launching ramp and if we went small we could go far more places which do not cater to the clubhouse groups.

We like trees and shade and that often does not work well with large RV, so think over what you like to do and that gives you a place to start.
Just don't assume the kids/grandkids will have the time to go with you when they age out!
But also keep in mind there is no law that says an RV has to stay forever. We treat them just like a roommate. If they fit they stay but we are open to change!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #5
Site Team

Totally agree that you need to look at how you will be traveling to decide on the size of your next motorhome. As far as the Adventurer, Winnebago is improving the features on the line to better differentiate from the Vista. The first one with the new configuration is the 2023 35F. My guess is they are taking the other models out of the Adventurer line and will gradually add new lengths and floor plans over time.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Here’s hoping the new Adventurers will be more akin to the new Journey… like the pre-2018 models.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm sitting in my 2021 Adventurer 29B as I type this, on our way back home to (near) Seattle from Lassen National Park. We were pleased to easily get into the Manzanita Lake campground, although we did see one or two longer coaches in the rare spots longer than 30'.

In addition to length, the biggest differences to consider between the shorter (27 and 29) and longer (everything else) configs in the Adventurer line are the cargo carrying capacity and the ride quality. This is because the shorter versions are on the 18,000 lb chassis with 19" tires and and the longer are on the 26,000 lb chassis with 22.5" tires.

In the case of the 29B, all of the extra goodies Winnebago puts on the Adventurer line make the cargo carrying capacity very low compared to its peers.

We optimized for the shorter length, and we are glad we did: we can get into national park and forest service campgrounds more often than not, and that's what we like to do. Plus, we liked the outdoor kitchen available in the 29B. However, we gave up our ability to carry lots of stuff with us, and I often wonder if the ride quality on the bigger chassis would be better on the occasionally lousy US highway system roads.

I agree with the other posters here: there is no perfect solution; there are always pros and cons. Consider how you will use your rig the most, then find the right floor plan and let fly.

I'm sure you'll make the best choice for you - good luck!
ZimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Morich, of course you are correct. I didn't mean to rule out any other ideas!
Old 06-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202235f View Post
Morich, of course you are correct. I didn't mean to rule out any other ideas!
No offence meant, none taken!
Just knowing that it is so easy tocreate the wrong impression, that I just meant that my idea was going against what you had each thought. So when I throw in an idea that is totally off what has been posted, I often like to admit upfront that it is a different thought.

My RV experience is often different than many as what we each have done will be certain to be different.
Just part of what makes life great, (or difficult!) is those differences, so I like to admit them upfront!
Old 06-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Morich, what RV do you have now?
Old 06-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pww1fishon View Post
Morich, what do you have now?
Well, that has gotten into a complicated situation.

We have a mid-fifties son and daughter in law, who were both out in the public as the covid pandemia started and they both got covid in Jan-March of 2020 when there was no testing, no knowledge of what was going on and since they were both mostly healthy/ running type folks, their symptoms never reached the state where they had to stop working, she went to school and taught and he did building inspections all over the county, even when they felt bad. After 6-8 months of not getting better and various doctors telling them they just have a "bug" they changed doctors several times and got various answers until we finally had to admit that there was this really serious disease and they started calling it "long covid"!

So the current situation is somewhat better but they have both retired as unable to go for a full day but possibly getting better. Some days able to stay up all day/sometimes not. Still lots of testing and disagreements on treatment. Treatment options have varied from major heart surgery to replace several leaking valves to what they now call "chronic fatigue syndrome". The biggest improvementhas been their brainfog has generally gotten much better so that we don't feel we needto be so close for emergencies.

So they are now able to live without assistance and my wife and I have gotten into a wait and see mode and hope for the best. I think we are most likely done with RV for the near term but maybe someday?

But more to the point?
Our last RV was a 2015 Vista 31KE and seemed about right for the two of us but it was also getting to be a bit less fun as we no longer go to the beach nor really get in the water as much as we once did. The local water is not what we like to get in for a swim, so the trek to better tasting water is a long trip!

I should probably take up serious drinking!
Old 06-23-2022, 06:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I am sorry to hear of the tough road you and your family are on, here's praying that the family can return to a normal life!

Tags
class a