Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New to Forum, and Winnabago Vista

Hello All,
I am new to Winnie Owners Forum, and new to forums. Not sure I am doing this correct. I just bought a 2015 Vista 26HE with 9,000 miles. Looking at doing a few things to it, and finding assistance without opening my wallet very wide a bit difficult.
If I could draw a little help from a few of you would be a great help.
1) Looking to replace my King Antenna with a Dish Tailgater Pro. Should I remove the original King or just add the Tailgater Pro and leave the King there?
2) It doesn't come with Screws to attach the Base. Is there any special type of screw on the Winnabago Roof.
3) I saw on a U tube video, that winnabago uses Silicone, not the Dicor Lap sealant to seal their holes and seams. Is that correct?
Thank you for any help and comments.
ricknroxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

ricknroxy, welcome to the Winnie Owners' Forum. It is a great place for information and assistance. Here's a couple of thoughts:
1) for the King antenna, many times there are trees that block the satellites from the dish antenna so you might not want to permanently mount the new tailgater pro to the roof. That way you can move it to a spot with a clear view to the satellites. There are pros and cons to both approaches. If you do a permanent roof mount, I would remove the original King dish to re-use the wiring.
2) no special screws required but I would use stainless steel so they don't rust. The roof material is less than 1/4" thick so I'm not sure the screws really do much good. Most roof fixtures have butyl rubber tape/caulk between the roof and their mounting flanges. The sealant adds extra holding power. Some people use 3M Very High Bond (VHB) double stick tape as well but I have no experience with that on the roof.
3) as far as caulk to seal the roof, you probably will find thousands of opinions online about what is the best. I've been happy with Dicor sealant around fixtures and seams on the roof but not for the roof edge seams. I also don't use it to seal on the sides of the RV since it seems to get black streaky very easily. Winnebago does provide a sealant call-out sheet for their RVs in the Owner Resources section of their website. Here is a link:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

A couple of other tips.
a) Consider creating a new thread if you have questions on multiple subjects. That way you can track each item individually without the thread getting all jumbled up.
b) Add a signature line with the information about your RV to make it easy for those trying to help you to know what you have.
c) And most importantly, go out camping and enjoy your new RV!
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

The problem with Dicor is that will not adhere to EXISTING sealant around items on your roof that were sealed at the factory with silicone based sealants. If you are installing something new that has not previously been sealed with a silicone based caulk then Dicor is fine. However then you have to keep track of the Dicor items and the silicone items. It might be easier to keep everything silicone based.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Welcome to the forum!

The problem with Dicor is that will not adhere to EXISTING sealant around items on your roof that were sealed at the factory with silicone based sealants. If you are installing something new that has not previously been sealed with a silicone based caulk then Dicor is fine. However then you have to keep track of the Dicor items and the silicone items. It might be easier to keep everything silicone based.
The silicone based sealants recommended by Winnebago aren't your garden variety silicone sealants commonly sold in hardware stores. Note in the comments to this video, the recommended sealant is Nuco 311:

BobC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum