Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New RV'r '06 Winnie View *need plumbing help

Warm greetings and salutations Winnie Owners Forum! *

I hope this finds all of you, especially those taking the time to read this, doing exceptionally well - maybe even out and about on a new adventure with your trusty Winnie!!

As I mentioned - we (my wife and I) are new "RVr's" and in need of some help. *While I am most definitely a greenhorn when it comes to RVing - I am quite adept at all things handyman/diy. *That said I am feeling like a greenhorn even in that department after spending a long, too long, time attempting to replace the "tank fill valve" on my '06 Winnie View. *I have the part. *No problems in the know-how of poly butyl plumbing connections.... ACCESS! *That is the issue. *After taking way too long removing previously stripped screws (not by me!) from the service panel... It seems you are meant to make all the plumbing connections/disconnections BLIND whilst reaching behind the service panel!?!?!?!? *This can't be true... Can it!? *

Any assistance in pointing me to a helpful thread (preferably with pictures would be much appreciated! *My wife, daughter, and I have a trip planned in 2 days and this conundrum is really putting a damper on our excitement...

Sincerely, warmly, and with high hopes,
Christopher Brown ~ aka forest2mtns*
forest2mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you have a bear by the tail! That can be a tricky spot to get to things, for sure!

I did a look to make sure we are talking the same parts?

This look like the drawing for you?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...523h_plumb.pdf
Click this snip for a better view or go direct!
Click image for larger version

Name:	wash1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	185491

Looking at the wet bay I see an option but it doesn't seem to involve the valve I think you mean but just clutters the thinking a bit. tTurning around to the backside, it shows the top drawing without the exterior wash faucet at top and with the faucet at the bottom.
That kind of gives some idea what's back there---since you can't see it!!

Name:	wash.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	185492

I'm only been back there a couple times, once when I had to take almost everything off the metal plate to get in and once only taking a few things out and finding enough slack in the lines to work in behind. Neither was fun!

So have you gotten around to pulling it out as far as the lines will et it go or still looking at what it's going to take?
I found most of the stuff could be taken off the front to let the metal plate pull off over the valves and such but the one that had slack was the better way.

But just as a different thought, what is happening to make you want to go there?
ARE you certain it has to be like you know the valve is broken, etc?
If the fresh tank overflowing is a problem, it may be that there is a leaking check valve and that can be a lot easier to fix???

Not wanting to say you are wrong but on the other hand it might save some work.! The guy with the hands on has a better shot at seeing the trouble but I'd hate to miss going the easy way if it fit.

We get lots of complaints about the fresh water overflowing while hooked to pressure water and it can be a check valve that has junk in it so it lets water running backwards through the pump into the tank!

What's it doing to you?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

A thousand thanks Richard!
Can't tell you how much I appreciate you being out there!!

You know I've been a carpenter/builder/plumber/handyman for quite a while...
And, I don't know if it's just me aging and growing in girth, the incredibly uncomfortable angle and way too tiny spaces for service access on an RV, or all of the above...
But I feel like the tail of this bear is like that crazed bear that chases ambulances from this crazy movie my wife wants us to see... Whew!!

You've got the correct diagrams. (Mine is "VIEW E 64R") And you've circled the correct part on the front view. On the back view, it's the tee all the way to the left (circled in black) - instead of the elbow (circled in blue), on the right; which is the hot water supply for the outdoor shower. (The Fresh Water Inlet is circled in red)
See my photo below.

Name:	Image 3-29-23 at 4.59 PM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	185493

Here's a photo of my actual "wet bay" service area, with a green arrow pointing to the problem child, aka "fill/diverter valve"

Name:	IMG_3899 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	185495

And thank you for thinking about alternatives. I always tell any so-called "master" builder/carpenter/plumber I meet... "I can never call myself a master - because I never cease to find a conundrum that I've never met - and "they" keep changing and making new things!" So as to say I always appreciate questioning. In this case - I am certain it is, at least, the Fresh Water Valve tee.

Name:	IMG_3901.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	185496

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	185498

Name:	IMG_3916.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	185497

It literally popped off and is shooting water out of the valve tee. Plus since I have been working on the area and sticking, squeezing my paws behind the service panel I have noticed the threaded collar on the top end of the tee is cracked. (ALERT! ALERT! GREENHORN mistake not properly winterizing! )

I have finally successfully removed all the attachment screws of the panel, and it is dangling by the plumbing. There is some slack. And, it is probably possible (but as you said NOT FUN) to work blind and replace the tee valve.

I guess that will be where I go after supper.

As an aside: I mainly wanted to fully remove the panel so that I could really get back there to inspect all the plumbing and for future maintenance. But since I am WAY pressed for time (we're supposed to be hitting the road on Friday) I'll settle for the tee getting replaced and hoping that does it for now.

Any further thoughts, ideas, humor, or prayers - are much appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3899.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	185494  
forest2mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We don't have to guess about that one being bad!
Add to that the short height of that bay and it does get mean to get in there!

Anybody who has really been very far and calls themself a "master" is really cruising for a letdown. Most folks who have done much know they are going to make mistakes!

We just have to try to figure it out as we go along, so good luck on the repair and the trip!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fill valve, plumbing, view