Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New RVer with 1986 Chieftain

Hello friends, my name is Butch, recently divorced and aquired 1986 Chieftain. Totally new to RV. In need of total refresh and possible replacement of most systems.

Just moved to a semi perm location to work on. Vacumed out large quantities of Rodent droppings..no kidding...roof leaks, enormous repairs will be made. Originally purchased for the Engine Transmission and have reconsidered for use. Started the process...have roof paint and silicone...considering the wide seam roll before thr paint to completely seal the seams.

Air suspension is frustrating. Ignorance is starting to diminish. With the internet for info i will proceed with being able to move by raising the rear.

Serious problems so far. Looking at possible compressor and leaking components. I dont have a clue on location, bypass, or anything as i am writing this. To get where I am right now I've had to install a new fuel pump run a fuel line into a gas can and drive it to my location to be able to get it out of storage it was in and purchased the the Brake's were completely empty of fluid anyway

It's in a grateful spot and I just started the process. It takes more than a half hour to air up the back end so I know I have a problem. So I'm trying to locate some type of an air fitting where I can do it manually with an air compressor and maybe do some work done on it.

This is a huge project taking it a little at a time the plan was living in it while I'm repairing it but it's not going to be that easy. Anyway this is where I'm starting there's much more to say but thank you for the new family
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. It definitely sounds like a lot of work ahead of you, but this is a great place for advice. Take care!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do to the age of your RV I would suggest checking out Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs! as well as the vast amount of information here.