Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New owner of 2016 View 24G

Hello: I am located in Central Ohio. My wife and I recently purchased a 2016 Winnebago View 24 G. We have been out a few weekends to shake down the unit and are planning a 3 week trip to Utah in September. Any tips and advice on boondocking enroute or not to be missed camp sites are always appreciated. Previously a back country camper and tent camper with my wife, so this is a new chapter. Looking foward to some great adventures.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum! I’m not familiar with that route, but I use the all-stays app on my iPad and find it has reliable info. Have fun!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2016 24g that I bought new so may be able to offer some insights. A few little things I've changed - the kitchen faucet - installed one with a pullout sprayer - I think Winnebago made this change for 2017 or '18. Simple to do and makes dishwashing easier. Added a memory foam topper to the rear bed - more comfortable and it folds up with the factory two piece mattress. I added 200 watts of solar and a Trimetric battery monitor. Just last week we camped for 5 nights and the batteries stayed above 60% while we only ran the generator once for about 30 minutes to use the microwave. We are not at all conservative with battery use but the 200 watts keeps up fine. I've also replaced the house batteries with a pair of 6 volt 220 amp hour golf cart batteries. Like I said, little things that make it more useful to us. The only drawback to the "G" floorplan, in my opinion, is that the rear slideout makes it a bit awkward to use a bike rack in the receiver hitch - a problem I sort of solved with a swingaway bike rack. Otherwise I love the floorplan as it makes the RV the rough equivalent of a 30 footer. I think the later "G"s have less counter space than the 2016 models too. Note that when towing my Jeep the rear slideout is not obstructed at all, it just goes out above the towbar.
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice

I really appreciate all the great advice. I have already experienced the awkardness with a hitch mount bike rack on the 24G model. I am looking at replacing my bike rack with one of the swing down ones that should give me the clearance I need. Very interested in installing the solar array that you spoke about. Any details that you are willing to share regarding that are meaningful. I have a few other modifications in mind, but will probably have a few more questions after this first extended trip.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We should probably move this conversation to another forum -
jayelldouble is offline   Reply With Quote