Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New owner - 2020 1700bh

Brand new to this whole thing, bought a 2020 1700bh and I think I got in over my head. I’m towing with a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I’m debating on getting sway bars not sure how much of a difference it makes.
David a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the world of RVing. I can not help you on the sway bar thing, someone who knows about it will help I am sure.

The over your head thing, it takes a few times going out and enjoying the experience. Just ask questions both here and at the campsites. We all have been where you are one time or another. Best of luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Hi David,
Towed a bumper pull for quite a few years before getting the motorhome. If you're having problems with sway, by all means get some kind of anti-sway control set up. It helps a lot. Also, make sure you don't have too much weight in the rear of the trailer. Need to have about 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch.
Not sure of the tow ratings of a highlander. You have probably made sure that its capable of towing your TT.

Good luck out there. I'm sure after a few times out you'll get the hang of things and will really enjoy it. Don't be afraid to ask questions of others at the campgrounds. Most are happy to help out.
Carl
spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome David,
Assuming the Highlander is an appropriate tow vehicle, your choice of hitch can make a bigg difference in towing and sway control.

Did you get a weight distribution hitch withe your TT?

Everything will get more comfortable as you learn more about towing, your trailer and camping in general.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David a View Post
Brand new to this whole thing, bought a 2020 1700bh and I think I got in over my head. I’m towing with a 2013 Toyota Highlander. I’m debating on getting sway bars not sure how much of a difference it makes.
Need a lot more information. Are you at a minimum using a weight distributing hitch? Is your trailer swaying uncontrollably? If so, what is your tongue weight? It probably should be at least 400 or even 450, if not higher.

Also, doing a quick Google search the towing capacity of your vehicle could be anywhere between 1500 and 5,000 pounds, while the weight of your trailer loaded could be up to 3,800 pounds. Towing capacity though is only one of the many numbers you need to look at. I would suggest using this site to determine the capabilities of your tow vehicle.

TowCalculator.com

But you will notice that the trailer is behind you. Those who claim they don't even notice it are FOS. So you might be getting alarmed for no reason. That said, having a bigger tow vehicle has serious advantages.

Finally, if you don't have a weight distributing hitch I would recommend looking into the Andersen hitches. They have WDH functions and sway control in one neat little package, without the disadvantages of those that use the friction bar.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
.Finally, if you don't have a weight distributing hitch I would recommend looking into the Andersen hitches. They have WDH functions and sway control in one neat little package, without the disadvantages of those that use the friction bar.
When we had a TT we used a Husky Centerline WD hitch with anti-sway. It was great.

But when we were brand new to pulling a travel trailer we had too small of a tow vehicle and bought the cheap hitch the dealer sold us. I’m sure he tried to sell us something better, but I cheaped out.

It took a while before I wised up. That’s when I learned that trying to go cheap and RVing didn’t really go together.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

New Owner 2020 1700bh

Hey David
I also bought a 1700 bh two years ago and was a complete newbie so I can completely relate. I pull mine with a Ford Explorer. We put a good towing package on my car with sway bars and I cannot imagine pulling the rv without that, so I would definitely recommend. We have only taken it out a few times but we have gotten pretty comfortable with it now, and we’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. We’re looking forward to taking it out after this social distancing situation.
I watch my rpms when driving, so I don’t put too much stress on my car. I take it easy, it’s definitely safer to keep your speed at 65 or below, and leave plenty of room for wide turns. We always tag team for reversing and hooking up, my husband is better at directing, I’m better at reversing slowly and accurately and maneuvering the trailer in place, and it works every time. We practiced in an empty parking lot initially. Safe travels and enjoy your new trailer, they are a lot of fun!
GillianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
When we had a TT we used a Husky Centerline WD hitch with anti-sway. It was great.

But when we were brand new to pulling a travel trailer we had too small of a tow vehicle and bought the cheap hitch the dealer sold us. I’m sure he tried to sell us something better, but I cheaped out.

It took a while before I wised up. That’s when I learned that trying to go cheap and RVing didn’t really go together.
I'm not familiar with that hitch, but it isn't the type of sway control I was saying to avoid. That seems to use the torsion bars as friction bars somehow. I was referring to the ones that have a third bar dedicated to sway. Those can have issues when backing up.

FWIW, the Andersen system is hardly cheap--about $500 on Amazon. One think I like about it is you can avoid grease entirely because the ball turns with the trailer.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianB View Post
I take it easy, it’s definitely safer to keep your speed at 65 or below
One thing I would point out to the OP is that his trailer likely has "Goodride" tires on it, which have a 65 mph rated speed limit. One of the first things I did was replace those with Goodyear tires which have a much higher speed rating. Not that I want to go faster than 65, but I don't want to be pushing any speed limits. Mine though is a tandem axle trailer, where that might be even more important.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I'm not familiar with that hitch, but it isn't the type of sway control I was saying to avoid. That seems to use the torsion bars as friction bars somehow.
Yes, it was not one of those "friction" anti-sway systems.

The Husky not only had effective weight distribution, but it's anti-sway also worked to force the trailer back to center when driving. Then it would automatically let the trailer perform sharp turns when backing without you having to do anything to the hitch.

It sells for about $350 from eTrailer.com.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

1700bh

My wife And I bought a 1700bh. Haven’t taken delivery yet. Towing with 2016 Toyota 4 runner gross towing 5,000 tongue weight 500. 1700bh is dry 3010 lbs which is why we bought . Double axel are 7k lbs. we are getting a break assist controller put on. Also we are using a Reese weight distribution 450 tongue weight trailer weight 4800 with built in sway. I think we will feel it pulling but just take our time And let her eat at 3k rpm in 5th gear . Will watch for engine overheat May need inter cooler told should be fine by several shops. First time towing a trailer. Also thinking of mounting a GoPro in back to check drivers behind and double for filming kids while camping .
614erich is offline   Reply With Quote