Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New Micro Mini FLX 2108TB Owner

Hello everyone,

After months of research and the purchase of a tow vehicle (2023 RAM 1500 Limited), I've finally put a deposit on a used 2022 FLX and picking up next weekend. It's been a blast researching everything, and I'll be making a bit of a trip out of it. We're a military family from the south.

My main concern right now is a WDH. I'll be well under payload capacity as the GVWR of the FLX is 5500 and my RAM payload is about 1300 with a tow capacity of 8100. However, there are just so many options. They want to sell me an Equalizer for &750 with installation. I'll be on my own a few states from home during pickup, so I might just go with that. But If a Reese will do and I can save a few hundred bucks I wouldn't mind. I also like the prospect of easy use from Anderson, and the gauge of the Weigh Safe.

My plan is to bring the WDH or buy there and learn about setup, and also potentially bring a generator so I can have them help me put it in the front passthrough.

Overall I'm pretty excited to learn and shop for all the accessories and necessities.

Thanks.
BingoFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

WDH

Welcome BingoFuel!
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Ram 1500 and I am towing my 2022 2108TB. I use a Blue OX WDH but there are so many sufficient ones available on line for about $300. I am pretty sure that they are all pretty simple to install - mine was. You just need a large socket set.
I don’t have the flex but my wife and I I really enjoy our new trailer. We installed a lithium battery, dimmable dome lights, and lots of hooks and shelves. Our trailer seems very well made.
We are camping right now in Moab Utah where there is another 2108 nearby.
Happy camping! This forum has helped me and many others so don’t be shy.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thindirtline View Post
Welcome BingoFuel!
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Ram 1500 and I am towing my 2022 2108TB. I use a Blue OX WDH but there are so many sufficient ones available on line for about $300. I am pretty sure that they are all pretty simple to install - mine was. You just need a large socket set.
I don’t have the flex but my wife and I I really enjoy our new trailer. We installed a lithium battery, dimmable dome lights, and lots of hooks and shelves. Our trailer seems very well made.
We are camping right now in Moab Utah where there is another 2108 nearby.
Happy camping! This forum has helped me and many others so don’t be shy.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with an Anderson. Anyway, look forward to connecting and learning.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hiya Bingofuel.
Presuming you were an aviator at some point.
There are many suitable hitches for a 2108. The darn trailer doesn’t weigh much, and reduced frontal area and low height makes it an easy tow from the get go. For pure convenience, I don’t think you can beat an Anderson. You can save by installing it yourself, but, unless you really trust yourself, it’s worth paying a competent shop to install it. $750 doesn’t seem to me to be unreasonable. If you go with a bar type hitch, make sure you match the bar rating to your GVWR. Too much bar will give you a bad and jumpy ride.

I’d like you to be confident in your Ram TV. Our payload is about the same as yours, and we’ve been towing our 2108 safely and comfortably for more than 20,000 miles. The key is to get the weight distributed properly in the trailer and TV. You’re gonna have to put all your very light weight stuff in the truck bed, and put the heavier gear in the pass thru. Weigh your Ram with the number of people and the light gear you’ll travel with. Note the drive axle weight. You will need about 600lbs of available (unused) payload and unused rear (drive axle) weight. The 2108 needs 600# on the tongue to give you a good and safe tow. Having the dealer, or a good shop set up your hitch is money well spent. However, you may have to adjust ball height after you load and hitch up your trailer. You want to set ball height such that coupler is slightly down, never higher than level when WDH is engaged. 1/2” to 1.5” of rear tv squat is about right.

We have found that you must carry at least 1/2 tank of fresh water to get trailer weight distribution right. And the waste tanks must be empty when towing.

Keep the shiny side up, and put your gear down before landing.
Old 05-12-2023, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hey Jim,

Not quite there yet, but close. Currently in orange-and-white fast movers. Semper Fi.

Appreciate the reply. Curious about the weights though. Do the scales automatically tell you the weights on the individual axles? And are you saying that the 600lbs I need to have available (as me and the family + gear will be around 600) needs to be available on the rear axle for the 600lbs tongue weight? I think I’m trackin’, just want to make sure.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When you weigh just the truck alone, scales will give you the weight of steer axle (front axle) and drive axle (rear axle). The max weights on the stickers on the inside of driver side door give you your maximum weights for front axle (front GAWR) rear axle (rear GAWR), CCC (payload), and GVWR. You should not exceed any of these specs. Kinda like NATOPS.

With respect to the trailer, it’s just our experience that it tows best with a tongue weight of 600#. After you have weighed your truck, then you hook up (with no WDH engaged) and pull onto the scale, there is a third scale that will give you the weight of the two axles of the trailer. You will also notice that the weight of drive axle has increased. The difference between your first drive axle weigh-in and the second one, is equivalent to the tongue weight of the trailer. If you have family and kids in the truck, your tv weights will be higher than mine. You’ll be forced to travel with little or no weight in the bed of the truck to compensate for your heavy loading of the tow vehicle. You’ll find this out as soon as you get on the scale with full load in the TV, plus family, plus gear. In our TV, we travel only with two people, a cat, some stuff in the back seat, and about 300# of gear in the bed. At 1300# payload in your Ram, you’ll have to lighten ship in the TV.

Semper Fi
And Semper Paratus for you Orange and Whites
Old 05-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the confusion, I’m a Marine too, just still flying training aircraft (but hopefully not for much longer).

Thanks for the input, that was exactly what I was looking for. I’ll be making the maiden voyage solo to practice towing and work out the kinks. Look forward to sharing with the forum.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I’ll have to get down to Pensacola to check out your Immelmann.
Oak Grove is a pretty nice campground.
Stay Safe Devil Dog.