Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

New member switching from boating to RVing

Hello:

I am 73 YO and have owned boats most of my life and cruised full time for a few years in the Atlantic states from Florida to Maine and the Bahamas. My wife and I currently own a 16' Living Lite camping trailer that we usually use mid week during the summers in the Northeast where we live in Connecticut.

I just sold my last boat so we are now looking to transit to a larger RV. I have looked at Class B Mercedes Sprinter based RVs like the Era and the Class C based Sprinters like the View. But what I really like is the Class A Sprinter based RV where Winnebago replaces all of the Sprinter's coach work with their own including the driver's cab so it is a true Class A- the Via, albeit a short one- 25'.

So we are looking and probably will pull the trigger before next Spring. We plan to use whatever we buy in the NE in the summer, the Southeastern states in the late winter and maybe take a long trip to the west in the fall.

I am a retired engineer and a DIYer, and am very comfortable with boat systems that are often like the systems found on RVs. So I will be commenting on these issues from time to time.

The Vias apparently weren't made after 2017/2018 so they don't seem to have the DC compressor fridges that are the rage for newer RVs and are ubiquitous on boats. I am pretty competent in batteries, chargers, inverters and to a lesser degree in B2B chargers and lithium batteries (which I hope to avoid).

Glad to be aboard.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Welcome aboard David. Pun intended. I bet there are a bunch of us who have switched from boats to RV's. I think RV's are cheaper than boats in some ways. I still have a decent Grady White. Tried to sell it but right now is a terrible time to sell a boat. Just something else to maintain.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think you will enjoy the transition. We sold our Catalina when we escaped from California. Now we journey in our -- you get the idea.

Just like a boat except it has wheels and no distiller.

Careful bringing up fridges on this forum. Bunch of vocal, opinionated folks who have preferences reside here. (Not that there is anything wrong with that)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We transitioned from a Catalina 30 to a 22' TT, then a 25' TT and, eventually to a 35' MH. You won't have any problems with the systems but you'll likely be appalled with the quality of the wiring, plumbing, etc. compared to that of a good quality boat. On the other hand, RVs won't sink.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
We transitioned from a Catalina 30 to a 22' TT, then a 25' TT and, eventually to a 35' MH. You won't have any problems with the systems but you'll likely be appalled with the quality of the wiring, plumbing, etc. compared to that of a good quality boat. On the other hand, RVs won't sink.
Interesting, my last boat was a 23' TT, an Atlas Boat Works Pompano 23 downeast style, outboard powered.

I haven't crawled around in RVs that much, just my very well built 2013 Livin Lite 16' trailer (not so well built after Thor bought them a year later), but I am impressed with some of the technology available on sub $100K RVs. Remote lighting controls, central panel to manage all systems, AC power management system to name a few. I say I am impressed well yes but I don't want them. Give me straightforward switches and readouts that I can diagnose when they go wrong, any time. Kind of like my 1960 VW Bug vs our new Mini convertible. Nothing I can fix myself on that car.

So I will probably settle on a pre 2018 model with traditional controls and systems management switches and no DC compressor fridge.

BTW I am not opposed to compressor fridges. I just don't know if I will be able to keep up with their DC power requirements while dry camping in a shady spot, which is where we camp 95% of the time.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I agree with you about the refrigerator, we dry camp a lot as well and don't like running our generator for hours. The trend is definitely toward residential and DC compressor refrigerators but they're not for me.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Remember, whatever floats your boat, won't float your RV.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, switch