Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile New Member Rocker 2000 Journey 36L

Hello , 2000 winnebago journey 36 l . Getting ready for first trip to fresno from sun city az to have the basement air repaired by a good friend at rv country. Could have had it repaired at sun city rv but wanted to see our friend and family in fresno. Coach has some small delam on the sidewall but thats ok , has nothing to do with having fun camping and exploring. Looking forward to some rv rallies with winnebago and fmca. This is our 6th rv. Started out with a trailer , then a new 40' 5th whl , 1985 blue bird , 1986 blue bird and a bubble top van. Was always working ( rv sales) so not much time to use them. Retired , so now we have the time. Plan to do a lot of boondocking around the country and some rv parks. Hope to meet some of you at the rallies some day !
rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:38 AM   #2

Living the dream...

Rocker: I must admit, your intro required me to read it to the end.

Congrats.

What type of engine are your pushing in the new Journey rig of yours?

And what sort of basement AC repairs did your friend do?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Reply to imnprsd

Thank you for the reply. 2000 Journey has a 275 Cummins. Not very fast but I'm not in a hurry anyway and expect to get good mileage too . Next trip we will be towing a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We have lots to learn about internet and phone service on the road. We are on the learn as you go program ha ha. Our email address is [email protected] which seems to be the easiest way to communicate so far. Have a great day.
rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:54 PM   #4

The latest on internet connection options - on the road!

Turns out you can get a 5G phone with unlimited internet data for $60/month.

This seems to be a promo while 5G is just getting started.

I just ordered a Samsung A71 5G on Amazon (refurbished) for $329. Which is a $130 premium for the 5G band and the Samsung 11 OS, but the other reason I bought it was for the 64MB camera; and it has more on-board memory vs. the A52.

A71-5G: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The next jump in cell phone performance will cost you $500-$800, but I think this A71 will last me 5+ years or more if I don't lose it or break it.

These phones can also be used as hot spots but they only work if you are able to pick up a local 4G-LTE or 5G Tower; and I bought it "UNLOCKED" so I can go with Ting.com at $10/mo plus $5/1GB of data.

I went with Ting, because I don't use much data when I'm not traveling, so I would prefer to pay as you go. However, if you are streaming monster then the unlimited, and unthrottled $60/mo plans maybe for you... while they are offering them from AT&T and others.

Also, I am finding GSM is the dominate type of cell phone from T-mobile and AT&T; so I'm moving away from CDMA tower connections typically offerred by Verizon or one of the secondary carriers.

And all these "unlocked" phones are supposed to work in international countries so that means I should be able to by a sim card in that country and pay less than the $10/day option for my (GSM/CDMA) USA phone to work in these countries.

NOTE: When I travel in my RV, I still like using my usb-Adapter, when I'm on my notebook, to pickup internet hot spots from blocks away... for free! (This is a must if you ask me because then you can dedicated it to your computer and it picks up the internet hotspot just like you would connect to your router at home.

These computer Adapters create a new internet connection option (you just select by clicking on your internet button in the lower right corner of your screen) and because these things have better antenna gain your data rates will be higher and you can connect to hotspots where you park your RV. (Hopefully.) I also use one of these $20 Adapters at home!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-1900M...dDbGljaz10cnVl

And if you want a better hotspot than the Verizon Jet-Pack or the T-mobile I travel with this Cell Phone Router for $109 and I use a Ting sim card it designed for GSM phones like T-mobile.

https://www.amazon.com/TUOSHI-Unlock...s%2C294&sr=8-3

Note: They make more powerful and slightly more expensive WiFi components than is listed above if you want more speed, but these work fine for my needs at the price I was willing to pay.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, journey