Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New Member - Prospective Owner

Howdy! My wife and I have owned travel trailers for years and love camping/boondocking, fishing, hiking and exploring the country. Our friends own a View and we are investigating moving up from our Lance TT to a View or similar Class C MH. A significant advantage would be that my wife wouldn't be afraid to drive the Class C (she won't even consider driving with the trailer). I like being able to unhitch our truck for local exploring/excursions when camping with the TT. Seems like the View or similar 24 ft Class C would be okay for such touring with some apparent limitations.

We're hoping to learn some pros and cons from current users that we can consider as make our decision. Thanks in advance for your input.
swat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you enjoy the rustic aspects of camping, particularly in SP, NP, USFS, COE campsites then you will probably like the Class C even more than your TT. It is larger, has more storage, a dry bath, etc., but it is just as maneuverable as a TV and a TT.

The downside is transportation when you are all set up. That isn't really a problem for us in a public campground, but if you like to head off and sight see it may be a problem. One way is to tow a Toad but those have to be small and towable 4 down for a Class C, which means it will probably not be the family car.

We get around it with a couple of E bikes which have a 30-40 mile range which will get us into nearby towns to pick up groceries or have a nice breakfast or lunch out.

If the Winnie folks will excuse me for saying this, consider the Thor Axis/Vegas which is Class C size but built like a Class A which results in more room and a great driving position. Winnie used to make the similar Via/Reyo up until about 2016.

David
Old 01-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
If the Winnie folks will excuse me for saying this, consider the Thor Axis/Vegas which is Class C size but built like a Class A which results in more room and a great driving position. Winnie used to make the similar Via/Reyo up until about 2016.

David
So don't buy new, look for a previously owned Via/Reyo.

David is correct, make sure whatever you buy can tow a reasonably sized toad, preferably a vehicle you own already.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the responses David and Bob. We are encouraged by both! David, what eBikes do you recommend?
swat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by swat2 View Post
Thanks for the responses David and Bob. We are encouraged by both! David, what eBikes do you recommend?
I have the Lectric Bike. Another good brand is the Rad Bikes which is bigger and heavier and most models don't fold.

Ours is foldable and it just fits in the basement storage hatch on our Axis 24.1. So far we have used them to go somewhere for breakfast or lunch, a 5 mile each way ride.

This is a fat tire bike, which means it is a little less efficient due to the big tires but those tires make for a nice ride in rutted trails. Ours doesn't have a suspension, but I think the newest model has a spring loaded front fork which should make the ride nicer.

On average I use the pedals for 50% of the oomph and the electric motor for 50%. You could go all of the way to 100% electric with the flick of a switch, but that would compromise range.

I get about 30 miles total range with 50/50 pedaling/electric. The bike has a nice storage rack on the back and we got the panniers to store stuff on the sides.

So far, so good.

David
Old 01-12-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
So don't buy new, look for a previously owned Via/Reyo.

David is correct, make sure whatever you buy can tow a reasonably sized toad, preferably a vehicle you own already.
Be careful as although the GCVWR of the Reyo and Via is 15,000 and it can tow 5,000 the GVW is 11,030 which reduces your towing capability down to just under 4K. That said, I own a Via and I would be reluctant to pull a toad with it, that little 3.0 works very hard just keeping the rig alone moving.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Team

Hi Swat2,
I purchased my Minnie Winnie 22M three years ago, and I believe it is still the best of the best. Order it as I did, on an E-450 platform, and that will give you plenty of towing and cargo-carrying capability (over two tons.) I carry my Suzuki on the back, but certainly you could also carry a couple of electrical bikes instead.
The overall reliability of the Ford platform, and the 350 horsepower from the Godzilla motor, will mean that you can tow pretty much anything you want. Also, don't forget the very generous fresh/grey/black tank capacities of 40/45/40 gallons, respectively.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 01-12-2022, 10:05 PM   #8
Site Team

Of course, here is another option, but I don't know if this is considered a Class C.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Of course, here is another option, but I don't know if this is considered a Class C.
Wonder if they have had their catalytic convertor stolen?

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #10
Site Team

Oh that is too funny!

Tags