Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New member, new owner

Hi everyone!! Just joined the forum and we're in the process of buying our first motor home. It's a gently used 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Special Edition. The RV only has 4400 miles on it. I posted a picture of it in the registry. We got what we believe is a really good deal on the RV and are looking forward to many enjoyable years of RV'ing in it.

Thanks and we'll be here lurking around the site....

Bill
Martinsburg, WV
2006 29R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome, and good luck with your RV. You will most likely find that issues will come up even if it is lightly used. The mileage indicates that it most likely sat for long periods of time. The tires are almost guaranteed to be out dated and need to be replaced before you do anything.

I hope you get a reliable inspector to go over the entire rig to give you an idea of what you need to do. All things can be repaired or fixed but only you can decide the value of the entire package.

Good Luck and happy camping!
Old 07-30-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

NYBobbo - Thanks and 10-4 on the tires. The ones on the RV were the original 2005 vintage Goodyears. We told the dealer that that was most likely a deal breaker. They worked up a quote on 6 new tires and split the cost with us. So we'll have new shoes all around. We also paid the dealership $600 to go over all of the systems on the RV and fix anything that needs fixing. We'll see how that goes.

We still feel like we got a good deal since we're getting a 30' motor home for "car money".

Looking forward to ownership and RV'ing.

Bill
2006 29R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Even with new RVs they have problems so expect some to pop up. My concern is that they look things over and they work as of "now" but after using for a few weeks the age may show some problems.

I'd consider using an independent RV mechanic and a truck/engine mechanic look it over. If your getting such a good deal perhaps another few hundred will save you some since as you know you can negotiate with the dealer on anything found. I'm in the process of purchasing a new house and my inspector cost me $250 and found thousands of dollars worth of "things" needed to be changed or fixed in some way. Unless the dealer will give you a bumper to bumper 6 month then run the heck out of it and see what happens.

Also, check the NADA estimate of price.

Just my opinion.

Tags