Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
2000 Adventurer 35U

Just purchased 2000 adventurer 35U. Hoping to really have many great experiences with it. We have only owned travel trailers in the past, this has been a real eye opener to all of the systems Winnebago has built into a coach.
mbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've owned a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U since last November. You've made a great choice but be prepared to deal with some age-related issues. I think the floor plan is one of the best Winnebago has ever produced. Having owned travel trailers, you're familiar with most of the potential "house" issues but here are some things to check out or keep in mind.

The biggest issue I had to deal with were leaking hydraulic hoses on the front slide out. This is a common problem with HWH slide-outs of this vintage. Look for any signs of leakage, especially around the ferrules, which are the metal fittings that crimp onto the hoses at the ends. Each hose has a number tag and HWH can supply exact replacements. My advice is, if one is leaking, replace all the hoses for that slide out. I had mine replaced but have seen several postings where others have done it DIY.

Other than that, most of my issues were relatively minor aside from having to replace a broken skylight and repair the related water damage. Cleaning and re-caulking all your roof fittings, side joints plus front and rear caps is also a priority. Go to Winnebago's site and download the sealant "callout" sheet for your year/model. Don't, as many suggest, use Dicor lap sealant. It's made for rubber roofs (like your trailers probably had), not fiberglass roofs. Use what's specified by Winnebago. Here are a couple of links that will help you with this:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/s...t%20Sheets.pdf

I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me on the Dicor issue but what's the downside of following Winnebago's recommendations?

Another potential issue has to do with windshield leaks. You should search this forum and read everything you can find on this topic. This can be very expensive if not dealt with proactively.

Tires: Check your DOT codes and replace your tires if they're older than seven years or so. Also, read this on proper inflation:

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx

You're going to find a million opinions on tires, including those who would never buy anything but the most expensive Michelin tires. IMHO, as long as you stick with a good, name brand, there's no need to spend that much. If they haven't been already replaced, you'll probably need new ones. The same comment about expensive tires applies to shocks. Don't spend money on suspension upgrades (swaybars, etc.) until you have new, properly inflated tires and good shock absorbers. You may find that the tires and shocks have solved any handling and ride issues. Before I replaced my ten year old tires and shocks I could feel every bump and crack in the road. A tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is also a good idea.

"Truck" Maintenance/Repair: I suggest you find a good, local truck repair shop rather than taking your MH to an RV dealer. Pick one that's familiar with your brand of chassis (Ford or Workhorse). I found one near me, that's family run where two of the sons own motorhomes. I received great, personal phone advices when I had a breakdown 150 miles from home.

I sent you a PM.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags