Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New information consumer!

Hi there,

We don't actually own an RV yet but we've narrowed the search down to a View/Navion 24J. So I've been haunting the forums for the past couple months trying to learn what I can. What a great resource!

I'd like to say I'm going to contribute to the wealth of knowledge here, but if I do it will probably be sometime in the future, possibly after cockroaches become extinct if experience is any guide. But who knows? If I ever get two separate facts to rub together about RV's I promise to share at least half of them with all of you folks. Just bear in mind that about 50% of what I tell people is unreliable and the rest is either inaccurate or downright false.

All that notwithstanding, it is my fond hope to suck up as much knowledge that I can, vampire-like, from people who actually know what they're talking about. So thanks in advance!
S.Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Mr. Whiplash,
Oh I need to ask; does the "S." stand for Snidely? It sounds like you are describing my posts! I believe you have my sense of humor as well.
Did you compare the Minnie Winnie 22M to the View 24J? I am still very happy with mine, and I do like having the superior tonnage capacity of the E-450 frame.
Have you rented or used any motorhomes yet? Sometimes trying a few of them out before purchase can really help refine what works best for you.
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 02-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Greetings Mr. Whiplash,
Oh I need to ask; does the "S." stand for Snidely? It sounds like you are describing my posts! I believe you have my sense of humor as well.
Did you compare the Minnie Winnie 22M to the View 24J? I am still very happy with mine, and I do like having the superior tonnage capacity of the E-450 frame.
Have you rented or used any motorhomes yet? Sometimes trying a few of them out before purchase can really help refine what works best for you.
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Good guess, Eagle5. Snidely. Mom also had a sense of humor.

We did look at the 22m. While it had the big U dinette we like, we want a permanent bed my wife and dogs can nap on while I corral the rig down the road. Also, I like the expansive view out the front. I'd mention gas mileage but I'm probably going to pay for that somewhere else, what with Mercedes.

We did spend two long, fitful weeks towing a rented travel trailer a year ago. We learned some valuable lessons from that. It was a 2-year old Jayco and it was literally falling apart. So no trailers (and no Jaycos). I see there are advantages but we want to be more mobile and self contained. Ultimately, you have to pick something and run with it or you end up paralyzed. Or if you're like me, just stupid.

While trailers are not for us, the other difference this time is we'll have time to figure it out slowly. Also, I've done a lot of research already, enough to know I don't know what I'm talking about right now, so you know, let that sink in. Later I'm going to grab my calculator and count the contradictions in this paragraph.

The other reason we're jumping in feet first is that we're selling the homestead and we'll either be on the street or in one of these comfy RV's. And then maybe divorced. But it'll probably take at least a few weeks to destroy our marriage. If you see a shaggy character on the interstate sitting on a pile of clothes and old comic books, take pity.

We're looking at 18'-'19 units with maintenance histories. And setting aside a healthy amount of money for repairs.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

what great memories you just brought back! The younger readers on this site may not get it...
We ended up with a 24v with the split bed in the back just for the reason you mentioned, the dogs and DW love it. There is a lot to be said for both. Guess it boils down to what fits best.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

AND --just to cause more confusion, let me mention that we have never yet found the exact right combo of thing sot love in an RV and that lasts for long!
We find life changes the answers too often to really get the exact right one on all points!
We started with a travel trailer way back when the kids were too small, went to a popup tent camper to get more floor space as we got more and larger kids. Went to a beater Brave for the solid walls but sold it as too much trouble when we could see the shower stall pushing out on the side on corners.
Finally with the kids in college and away, we went for the larger 37 foot and loved the travel and "luxury it gave two people.
We sold it when we got to a point we found we did not care enough to get out and look but only read the signs from the car! After all it was way too expensive to travel when gas got to 1.54 a gallon!
The point is that we should not expect things to totally fit. On this trip we made the big mistake of thinking new would be great but only kept it about 18 months and found we wanted to go back to Winnebago, so we sold the new Thor and went with a really nice 2015 which is a whole lot nicer than the new one would have ever been!

Funny point we now find is that the dinette is one of the first things we would do away with if we were to do a total remodel! Just not good for seating and takes up way too much space for just eating and a totally worthless bed for large kids, etc. so we would opt for TV tables if we could without so much time/effort!

I suggest going with one that doesn't cost you too much to trade it out if it doesn't fit!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Living The Dream

Welcome!

Looks as though due diligence has found you on a path to some great fun. Good luck, can’t wait until we hear you are zipping along in your rig.

“If you choose it, it is good!” That’s a quote from a famous psychologist ... don’t recall which one (too many moons since I first heard it from a professor).

“Do what rings your bell!” That one I think I made up
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You make good points. We figured the best we could do is make a choice on what we think we know now. If we go too deep down the rabbit hole we'll never make a decision, or worse, it will be made for us at closing (the sidewalk).

For awhile the 24V was the top contender, and maybe we'll regret not choosing it. Part of the problem is that my wife and I don't have perfect agreement in all things. What can I say? She just doesn't see things as clearly as moi. But that little character flaw aside, we're together on the big stuff and both of us have childhood memories of traveling the country in less than ideal RV contraptions. I hope this will seem like luxury in comparison!
Old 02-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Welcome!

Looks as though due diligence has found you on a path to some great fun. Good luck, can’t wait until we hear you are zipping along in your rig.

“If you choose it, it is good!” That’s a quote from a famous psychologist ... don’t recall which one (too many moons since I first heard it from a professor).

“Do what rings your bell!” That one I think I made up
Heh, heh!

One of my favorite quotes may be relevant here, from that great sage Mike Tyson:

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"
Old 02-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Team

As others have said, your first RV is usually not your last. The best way to know what you don’t already know is to stop researching and just take the leap.

What I’m saying is it seems like such a major decision, your first RV. But in the end it turns out to not be so, since for most it’s never the last.

Usually finding a suitable used one is harder than deciding which model you think you’ll want to own.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
Site Team

Hi again Snidely (hopefully, we are on a first-name basis now),
When looking at the View 24J, I can see how that is a very nice floor plan, with superior floor space with the dinette slide-out deployed. The only thing I would add for your consideration is when we take my mother-in-law with us for a day-trip, she sleeps sideways on the aft slide-out Queen of my Minnie Winnie 22M, with her feet toward the front of the vehicle. We take the top-half of the cushion off and place it on the floor, and then she has a 60"x37½" day bed area.
If you were to look for a 22M, I would recommend that you look for one on an E-450 chassis, unless it is the new 2021 model where the E-350 chassis tonnage was increased by 1,000 pounds.
I do see the attraction with the 24J, and it is a very cool floor plan.
Many of us have named our motorhomes. Will you name yours "The Thunderbolt Grease-Slapper?"
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I was looking for the mother-in-law ejector option but I guess we don't live in that world anymore. Kidding, I like my mother in law. She's great. Really. Really.

I did consider for awhile if the folded mattress would work but I think this layout is better for us. It's just the two of us and two 30lb whippets. We did look closely at the OCCC, the particular one we're looking at comes in just under 1400lbs, enough for us if I skip an occasional lunch. More importanltly, my wife would possibly kill me or at least harshly criticize me if I start throwing more options on the list, but I appreciate your input.

I'm afraid you've caught me out on the Thunderbolt Grease-slapper. I had to look it up and, while I remember George of the Jungle- especially the theme song- I can't for the life of me dredge up the Tom Slick character. I must have misspent my youth even more than I thought.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
Site Team

Dear Mr. Whiplash,
You better hope your mother-in-law does not find out the name of your avatar. Good cover there. Really. Really.
Perhaps our sense of humor comes from some of the wonderfully demented cartoons we had as kids. Perhaps the best of all of those cartoons was
Super Chicken. Just remember, if something goes wrong out on the road, "you knew the job was dangerous when you took it."
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

My mother in law probably won't make the connection. She's French and has a bit of an elitist view of American culture (in all seriousness I get along with her very well). I'm the opposite; I think there's great art in much of what was done, even then. Looney Tunes, Warner Bros., even a lot of the Hannah Barberra stuff had real humor in it although they really made an art of cutting corners. But the old Saturday morning cartoons had clever animation and lyrics, great music, inside jokes. I still laugh at Too-Lousy Lautrec, a classic Bugs Bunny play on words.

Getting into mid '70's and beyond it just got unwatchable and I don't know even how kids could enjoy it. There're some exceptions, like the Mighty Mouse remake by Ralph Bakshi and John Kricfalusi in the '80s.

Anyway, end of an era.

BTW, you're welcome to call me Snidely, but I have to admit, Mr. Whiplash has a nice ring to it.