Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New guy looking to buy RV

Retired AF but now working as a Contractor doing Linux/Unix security. I grew up traveling with the family in a Ford F250 with a self-contained slide on camper and really enjoyed it. My wife is disabled and can't sit in a car for any length of time so believe the RV route is for us.
md_rick_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

A lot depends on your wife's disability, including how it might change over the coming years. If her problem is limited to sitting, that's one issue, but if she has mobility issues as well, that opens up a whole new set of concerns, floor plans being one of them.

I've dealt with many of these issues so, if you'd like to have a more private discussion, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, give us some more details and I'll try to address them here. I'm former AF myself and grew up as an "AF Brat".
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Fibromyalgia mostly and anxiety. She has issues with her back especially, so sitting still for any length of time is the biggest issue. Really no problem with steps so getting in and out doesn't look like a problem.

Yeah Navy Brat here.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Most motorhome passenger seats are recliners and might be more comfortable than the typical car seat although they won't have a footrest like a residential recliner. This should be easy to check out, especially if she has the opportunity to sit, or preferably ride, in one for a while. Lying in bed while on the road can be problematical, both with regard to safety and possibly a violation of state laws, which vary. In any case a motorhome makes it easy if you need to stop for a rest.

I don't know how riding in a motorhome would affect her anxiety. It does take some adjustment.

If the passenger seat isn't comfortable, and the MH doesn't have a suitable seat elsewhere, I think it would be possible to install a residential-style recliner, either in the passenger seat's place or in another location with a properly anchored seat belt.

You may find that a Class A will be more flexible with respect to the above than a Class C or B. Renting one for a day might help you focus on your needs.

You might want to find a MH owner in your area who would take you and your wife for a ride.

Whatever you decide, I suggest buying used so, in case it doesn't work out, you don't take a big depreciation hit like you would if you had to sell a new rig after a few months.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Lord, if she can't lay down while we are traveling that blows the whole idea of an RV for us (well not the whole idea, but a major reason.) I check and Marylandistan doesn't specify all passengers needing to be belted, but SC does.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

She can always lay on the couch with one of the seatbelts on.