Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New and fried my MH already need lots of help

HI and thanks for the add. I inherited a 2000 Winnebago adventurer. Been a tent camper forever, and know nothing about this MH. We had an electrician install a pedestal with 50 am 240v outlet for a friend who is coming to visit in his mh and also did a 30 amp outlet for my winnebago but since he is a residential electrician wired the 30 amp with 240v as well and rookie move plugged in without surge protector, heard a pop near the stove and nothing works. Starting with replacing the converter not sure what we fried, but I am a green as they come and will probably end up being a rv electrician when i am done. took me finding this page to find where the converter was. Looking for any advice as I learn the systems and how to be a mh home owner.
kimbouressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Wow. I’m sorry for your troubles. I’m not sure what would fry first, since we don’t know your rig. The automatic transfer switch if you have one? The converter-charger? I’d start looking at everything.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

How did you plug in a 30A/120V RV plug into a 30A/240/120 outlet since the plugs don't match?

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

So you electrician couldn't read? RV outlets say "125V" right on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NEMA TT-30R.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	179286  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We can shoot ourselves in the foot and just when we feel good about what we're doing!
No big thing, just have to back up a bit and try again!

So step one might be to tell us exactly which year make and model you have as a way to narrow down the chase. No use talking about parts if you don't have those parts!!!

This is a link to the wiring where you can choose exactly which RV and then go to drawings that fit for you:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

In this case when you have likely put 110 AC on the ground/neutral of the RV, I would start by looking at the 110AC drawings to see how it all lays out. I might expect your RV to come in on the power cord or generator to the transfer switch as it decides which has power and does the decision of which feed to use.

From the transfer switch it likely goes to a power center (fuse or breaker box?).

My first look might be to locate the power center, turn off all the breakers as a way cut the chase until we know more. Opening all the breakers removes any faults that are farther down the line!

Then try the generator or power cord and see what you get. If things are really bad, this may trip the new breaker on the power or trip one which is hidden on the generator itself, so if it looks like it tries to come on but only for a few seconds, check whether one of the has tripped. I say the one on the generator is hidden as it is often overlooked but I think of it as being real close to the output switch right near the front of the genset.
Just be aware that we might expect it???

But you may find it works okay up to that point and then I would try turning each main breaker on and slowly flipping more breakers to see if there is anything that doesn't want to work.

As a clue, is the load center near the stove and you heard the main breaker there as it tripped?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
How did you plug in a 30A/120V RV plug into a 30A/240/120 outlet since the plugs don't match?

David
I think what he’s saying is the electrician wired the RV pedestal receptacle with 220. So instead of a hot, ground and neutral, he has two hots and a ground. Hope his friend doesn’t come over and plug in too…