Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New 2018 MINNIE 2401RG Owner Water Question

We purchased our 2018 2401RG Minnie from a private party last year. We went on our first road trip and was gone 16 days. We learned something new each day but the one thing we can’t figure out is how to get the fresh gray water tank to turn on. I know the previous owners winterized it, the pumps running but no water even when we turn the 4 valves under the sink panel the opposite way they were turned. There is also one hose that seems to be hooked to nothing and wonder if that is part of the problem. I am looking for a map of the system so we can trace what we need to do. Thank you, in advance for any help you can provide.
Cafowlkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #2
Ted & Lynne

Gray water is water that goes down drain. there should be two valves where you dump blackwater witch is sewer water from toilet. grey water is sewer water without the tiolet paper and poo. nothing to turn on, just drain
Old 05-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafowlkes View Post
we can’t figure out is how to get the fresh gray water tank to turn on. I know the previous owners winterized it, the pumps running but no water even when we turn the 4 valves under the sink panel the opposite way they were turned.
I think we’re all pretty confused about what you mean.

Gray water is waste water from sinks and shower… Fresh water is the clean unused water for your faucets and shower. Two totally separate things.

It sounds like you are not getting any fresh water from your faucets. Is that it?

Turning “all the valves the opposite way” isn’t the way to dewinterize, not every valve needs to be turned. But I’m not able to tell you how to correct this on your Minnie. Sorry.

As to the hose that’s not connected to anything, that’s supposed to be that way. You use it when you winterize the RV. It is to put in the RV antifreeze bottle to draw antifreeze into your system.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team

So, another Minnie TT owner will have to chime in on setting those water valve correctly but, this video “may” help until that happens.

NOTE: this video is an overview. It’s not your Minnie’s setup. In fact, the location of the valves, lines and pump are totally different than yours. You likely don’t have that big filter so don’t think it’s missing. I post this only to give you some basic understanding of the water system and what those valves under your sink control.

Old 05-28-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you, yes it’s related to fresh water going to the faucets, toilet and shower while on the road. The tank is full but nothing moves to the faucets��. I guess I will have to hire someone to come out and help us figure all this out. We have also had issues where we are hooked up to 50 amp service and f we use the microwave, have the HVAC working and TV on it pops the breaker and prevents all the GFCI outlets from working. We are learning..

Cheryl Fowlkes
Old 05-28-2023, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you!

Cheryl Fowlkes
Old 05-28-2023, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

It is the freshwater I’m having issues with, sorry for the confusion learning all of this as I go. We did not get a owners instructions manual and can’t seem to find one online either from our unit.

Cheryl Fowlkes
Old 05-28-2023, 10:44 AM   #8
Site Team

You may want to hire a tech to sort out your water system valving... and show you how lots of things work.

I don't know, but I guess you have a 30-amp TT. So, even if you are plugged into 50-amp power pedestals you don't have 50-amp electrical service. So, yes, the microwave uses a lot of amps and so does the air conditioner. Running both appliances together on a 30-amp TT (even plugged into a 50-amp pedestal) will pop a circuit breaker because combined they use more than 30-amps. If you had a 50-amp TT and were plugged into 50-amp service then, no, you wouldn't have that issue.

Your travel trailer comes from the factory with 30-amp electrical service. Lots of motorhomes and 5th Wheels and larger TT with 2-A/C units come from the factory with 50-amp service.

If you get that independent tech to visit your travel trailer, tell them you want to know how everything works and to explain each system and teach you how to do things.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafowlkes View Post
It is the freshwater I’m having issues with, sorry for the confusion learning all of this as I go. We did not get a owners instructions manual and can’t seem to find one online either from our unit.
Most Travel Trailers (all of them???) do not come with manuals. Motorhomes usually come with very detailed operator's manuals.

When you buy a RV at a dealership they usually take a couple of hours with new owners to explain everything. When buying from an individual that can be missing. Though nice sellers will illustrate all the systems for you anyway.

I've owned two travel trailers and when I sold them the buyers were always in a hurry to get going and didn't want detailed instructions. I assume they already knew how to do everything.

YouTube is your friend. Virtually every RV system is illustrated and shown there. The video may not have YOUR exact TT but many systems are common on all travel trailer brands.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We have no online help when it comes to the trailer group so it will take a bit of looking to understand what is happening.
The reason the pump cannot draw water from the fresh water tank is likely a valve letting air in!
The air being so much easier to move than water goes through the pump instead of there being a vacuum created to make water move from the tank.

Looking at the pump it likely has a small round filter that is on the intake side of the pumpas a clue to which direction the water will flow through the pump. Nearby is likely to be the suction hose which has a cap and n connection. This hose with cap removed is meant to stick in a jug of antifreeze and as the pump pulls a suction, it draws antifreeze into the lines.
There should also be a valove to shut off flow from this suction line to the pump!
If this suction line valve is open (normally the handle inline with the tube?) and the cap is left off, air is pumped instead of doing the harder swork of moving water.
Verify cap on and vales set to close the line!
Understand that this pump is self-priming and will run finewithout damage when pumping air, but when pumping air you do not get water!

So if that valve and cap are okay, look further toward the fresh water tank for a valve fo draing is left open.
This drain line will show up as a tube, mostly simply going straight down through the trailer bottom to drain outside. It will likely look like a valve with three tubes going in three directions. Careful when looking as the one going straight down may be missed if snuggled down to the floor!
If this valve is left in drain position, air come up and to the pump, change it!

I made this drawing as a way to see what can happen. The valves "normally" need the
handles set to indicate which way the valve inside is set, but DO NOT trust that too far as some differ!
This is not likely to meet what you really see but look for something similiar. Find the tank if you can and look along the line from the tank to the pump for any valve that would drain to the outside, and close that. As well look further to spot the suction hose diverter valve which will change the way air from outside or water from the tank can move. Close off flow from the suction hose!
Click image for larger version

Name:	air.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	186149
You want a solid closed line of tubing from tank to pump with no way to get into things!
It is sometimes as simple as the small fragile filter housing is cracked or broken if they did not get all the water out in freezing temps, so look at it for being screwed on and not broken!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water