Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

New 2021 Travato 59GL owner

Hi all, just got a my new 2021 Travato 59GL earlier this month and have been traveling in it ever since. Other than the blind spot and crosswind assistance features being completely disabled for some odd reason (have contacted Winnebago support about it, they're confused about it, not sure how to fix it, etc.) and some fit-and-finish issues, it's a great little van RV.
iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Travato 59K

Are the blind spot and crosswind assistance new on the 2021 Promaster?
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Yes, they're both new features on the 2021 Promaster chassis used in the new 2021 Travatos and advertised as such on Winnebago's website.

They're enabled/disabled via settings in the factory uConnect system and what I think happened is that upon delivery to Winnebago, one of the factory builders disabled them using the factory radio but then didn't re-enable them before the factory radio was pulled and replaced with the new Pioneer DMH-1500NEX radio and Maestro system. All my research on it indicates that not only is the Pioneer radio itself not compatible with those new features but the entire Maestro system isn't compatible with the 2021 Promaster chassis itself even though it is working as far as the sensors go (TPM, gauges, etc). If you go to the Maestro website you cannot even select the new 2021 Promaster chassis when searching for any of their products. And I can't even find any firmware updates for it either as it's not reporting back any firmware version that exists on their website.
Maybe that's a special thing between Winnebago and Maestro, but I doubt it.
If you go on Crutchfield's website and plug in 2021 Promaster as the vehicle they even tell you it's not advisable to change the factory radio. Something tells me that Winnebago itself didn't perform proper testing and due diligence before opting to change out the factory radio in these things. They just figured that "well, its always worked in the 2020 Promaster and below chassis so why wouldn't it work in the 2021?" without actually researching it first.

That's OK, I'm a fairly easygoing guy - they'll either fix it and get those features working or they'll take it back and give me all my money back and reimburse me extra for my trouble. These are features they advertise on their website as "Blind Spot Assist" and "Crosswind Assist".

Something tells me that since they're actually enabled and disabled via the uConnect system in the factory radio that they probably can't re-enable them without installing the factory uConnect radio and if the new uConnect radios are locked to actual serial numbers in the chassis components then they might have a real problem on their hands with this one. Not sure if they can be activated via a Dodge OBD-II computer with the Promaster system loaded into it via the chassis ODB-II port or not. Winnebago's own engineers don't know, which is very troubling as it seems that they don't know how the systems work on the chassis they're building RVs on.

This also leaves me to believe there are no real QA/QC checklist procedures being performed on these models before they leave the factory either because every time you turn the key it pops up "BLIND SPOT ASSIST DISABLED" on the dash display itself.

Also the new digital rear view mirror itself is awesome and should be standard on every RV going forward, that's how effective and useful it is.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the heads up I was looking to update the factory radio on my 2020 After reading your post I will deal with the initial radio
johnff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnff View Post
Thanks for the heads up I was looking to update the factory radio on my 2020 After reading your post I will deal with the initial radio
Well, the 2020 Promaster should be OK to upgrade the radio system in provided you get a matching Maestro unit to go along with it. It's only the brand-new 2021 Promaster chassis with the blind spot and crosswind assistance features in it that seem to have issues with swapping out the factory uConnect with.
Basically go to the Crutchfield website and enter in your chassis year and make and then do the same on the iDatalink Maestro website and they should tell you if it's compatible or advisable to upgrade.