Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

"New" 2002 Itasca Horizon

Hello,
Just got a "new" to me 2002 Itasca Horizon. It is a 32' (which proved to be very difficult to find in that length) and I needed that for my storage. It is a beautiful coach both in and out. It has many features that I never dreamed I would ever have in an RV.
Pros:
1.It is a diesel pusher (quiet). My last RV was a diesel class C (loud).
2. Cummins 5.9 with 300 hp, and an Allison 6 speed Tranny.
3. Two slides.
4. Nice upgraded cherry cabinets.
5. TVs are new.
6. Big Onan 7.5 generator (quiet).
7. A true queen size bed (not the RV smaller/shorter one).
8. Levelers
9. My wife loves it.
10. Power awnings.

Cons I haven't figured out yet.
1. The rear driver side leveler was super slow to retract. I wasn't sure it was going to make it.
2. Generator doesn't power the outlets or microwave and I don't know why. If anyone has suggestions on this, I would appreciate it. Microwave worked on shore power and so do the outlets, so?????

Sure is nice and a good ride.
dawgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

1. Levels are lowered by hydraulics but raised by the springs. Could be something as simple as needing new springs. Could be more advanced, like the solenoid valve might need replacing. Try spraying some silicon lube on the extended jack, will sometimes fix it.

2. First thing I'd check is the gen itself - there are a couple circuit breakers on the panel, make sure they are turned "on." If that's the case, next thing to check is the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) in your power bay. Could be it's not switching over to gen.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

Congratulations!

How many miles on your new rig?

Here's a reply to your questions:

1. The rear driver side leveler was super slow to retract. I wasn't sure it was going to make it.

==> Spring tension pulls up the leveler, but maybe you just need to spray WD40 on the shinny cylinder.

==> Maybe your fluid it low in your HWH jack system? (Check with your slides in the correct position? ...Which position is that? IDK. You need to find out for your coach model based on the number of slides you have. Then fill the tank if needed with Dexron III (No high mileage type). ...Better still get a 12V scavenge pump and replace the HWH fluid all together. It's cheap enough and it's been a long time... My HWH reservoir took 7 quarts with ONLY my passenger slideout extended.

==> Maybe you HWH motor has a weak ground. A lot do and then one day "nada work". So this summer I cleaned the 2 screws that hold the motor to the HWH system block (and which provide the ground) and then I added a separate ground wire.

Go to this thread for more information on how to fix. It's not hard if you have these tips. See Post #9 for pictures and more tips:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...em-358674.html

2. Generator doesn't power the outlets or microwave?

==> Check for generator fault codes. Do you have any?

==> See the attached pdf I created. It has Onan notes that may apply to your generator if you have a Quiet Diesel 7500. Do you? Of course some of these tips and fixes are for future reference.

==> Check your transfer switch (my Horizon has uses an ATS-5070 transfer switch) connections and look for any burned or arching indications.

Note: Your Genset will put put-out L1=120V and L2=120... just like your shore power 50A service. You do have 50A service right?

...And the transfer switch is supposed to give priority to your Genset over shore power.

...Does everything work on shore power, but not when the generator is running? if so, unplug the shore power cord and use a hammer to give the transfer switch a few wacks! ...If this gets your genset to provide power to your coach then you are good-to-go for a while, but at some point you will need to probably replace your transfer switch. Also, banging the transfer switch may or may not work. Some say it will.

...You also should verify how much voltage you see at the transfer switch, since you have the box open anyway.

However, if you are not familiar with electricity, don't cut your teeth on probing for power. Ask for help from someone who can show you how to use a volt meter. It's not hard, and maybe you can watch a YouTube video.

Just remember, when you work on anything electrical, make sure you are not connected to shore power and you don't forget to turn off your inverter off.
Better still you should disconnect the positive inverter cable from the battery bank too!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS-5070 transfer switch.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	175094  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 HOW TO CHECK HWH HYDRAULIC FLUID LEVEL (Keep).pdf (545.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Automatic Transfer Switch Schematic (ATS-5070).pdf (120.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf 1 ONAN GENERATOR FAULT CODES & REPAIR (PDF).pdf (132.1 KB, 26 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the welcome and replies. I will try the things mentioned here.
Our Horizon has 112,000 on the odometer. Seems to be strong yet. I am not too concerned as the MH has been very well cared for and the Cummins/Allison combo tend to offer lots of miles with regular maintenance. It doesn't seem like this engine is taxed at all with the shorter, lighter 32'.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:42 AM   #5

The best benefit of an air ride/Diesel chassis is that it will feel the same at 300,000 miles as it did at 10,000 miles.

And your engine is just now broken-in... but there are going to be some additional repairs due to the approx. 100K and 15+ year "cycle" you are now in, but once you do these Preventative Maintenance (PM) steps your coach will perform very reliably.

I might suggest you change your Transmission Fluid, which is often overlooked and is real important; and check the date code on your tires.

For more helpful suggestion you can also subscribe to www.IRV2.com for more technical thread/discussions.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #6

Dagwout: Your acceleration (g-force) is a based HP vs. weight.

...What does your a 32' RV weigh?

My 40' RV is 350HP/32,000lbs = 0.011

...And at this ratio I considered my acceleration to be "a dog!" So I installed an Ag-Diesel Power Module and now I have 420HP. This changes the HP/Weight ratio to 0.013. So if your HP/Weight ratio is in this region, stock, it's no wonder you are happy with your acceleration!!

Plus, if you have 22.5" rims your coach will ride really nice on the road. Do you have an Independent Front Suspension (IFS) too?

Here a link to information on changing HWH fluid:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...el-357942.html

...And if you go to Post #20 you will find a video on how to change your transmission fluid and filters. This is easy. Of course, the first time you do anything it may seem a little daunting.

Tip: Don't drain the main Allison fluid until you first drop and change one Allison filter at a time. ...And you should scratch an identifying mark on those Allison filter plates before you drop them, so you figure out the right screw orientation when you put the new filter back inside the tranny. ...And definitely use a Def-Funnel when you refill your transmission fluid (use only TES295 approved Dexron (by Allison Transend or I use Amsoil-Torque Drive) or you will spill a lot of fluid in your engine bay and that will make a mess. (See picture of funnel.)

Since you have an "Horizon" your interior must look great too! Happy trails!

PS Check out Rocky Point, Mexico for a great destination.

I call staying at The Reef RV Park an "RV Day Spa" because you can get your RV worked on while you vacation. And you can even get an outside massage while you camp right next to the beach. ...I visited The Reef twice this summer and it was the highlight of my 3 month RV trip!

Check it out: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ew-358003.html

or

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ce-358625.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEF Funnel Is The Best.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	175102  
Old 09-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

IMNPRSD
Thanks for the tranny fluid advice.
ROCKY POINT.....been there once 30 years ago when it was still a sleepy, wonderful beach town. Sounds like I need to make a return trip....I am a beach bum at heart.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Oh Yeah! Almost forgot, Rocky Point 30 years ago was in our first pop up camper....a beautiful hard sided Apache. Family had loads of fun and great trips with that. Memories!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Point to keep in mind on cross border travel:
https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/

By agreement, we are no longer considered "desirable" and it has been being extended kind of on a monthly basis until we get our virus numbers down.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 PM   #10

Morich: Sounds like you are a rainmaker and you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to travel into Mexico.

For everyone who might consider going there this is what I experienced in June-2020 during the height of the Covid border closures; and again in Sept-2020.

To be sure, the border is closed to Non-US-Citizens... not Americans.

In fact, the US boarder agents have to accept you back into the country. As a US-Citizen they are required to do so.

When entering Mexico it's up to their Customs and Immigration to let you into their country. And they will search your RV inside very thoroughly. (You can expect to spend 20-30 minutes at least, but I found the Mexican officials to be very professional. And both times I passed over the border they never inspected my cargo underneath. They just don't want you bringing guns or ammo into the country.)

The zone between Lukeville, AZ and Puerto Penasco is a designated a "Free Zone" which basically means the Mexican government encourages tourism and it's safe for travel. Just travel at the speed limit. And the whole town of Puerto Penasco is very save and full of Americans.

When you return to the USA, the officials basically wave you through. ...And that's about it! They really don't care.

The Reef RV Park in Rocky Point / Puerto Penasco is very uncrowded due to so many people who think the US-boarder is closed. ...But as I said, the US-Mexican border is NOT closed to US-Citizens!

As for Covid safety, I traveled through TX, AZ, NM, Utah, ID, and Montana this summer and I can tell you the safest place I felt during these covid times was in Rocky Point. The Mexicans have stricter rules for business to open and all the employees have to attend Covid classes on how to receive and address customers. ...I.e., it's the Americans who are operating footloose and fancyfree!

Plus all the US based RV parks are mostly full. So this is another reason why I returned to The Reef in Sept-2020 as I was 1 of only 10 RVs in the park and they have over 200 spaces.

So pay no attention to rainmakers, and take advantage of these Covid Times by visiting The Reef RV Park in Rocky Point.

More good news: The Canadian-Snowbirds may not be able to flock to Rocky Point this year so maybe this will allow The Reef to only fill-up to 50% capacity. TBD. ...Their peek season is Nov-April so we shall see.

Where in American can you find an "RV SPA?" ...And by this I mean a place you can vacation while you get a 50% or more discount off RV services... all in one place!

For example: You can work with Oscar at $200/day and he change your fluids and help you learn how to work on your engine and fix your RV systems, AC, etc, if need these services; and all the while you can stay in your RV and enjoy your vacation too!

I do recommend you bring the parts you need to fix and in my case this included OAT coolant, roof sealant, and filters.

What I really liked about the weather in Rocky Point is that the humidity is different than Texas beaches, because there is no salty air smell. I think that's because RP is mostly a desert the borders an ocean.

Great food too!

Morich: Where did you vacation this summer?

Tags
itasca