Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Nervously-Excited Class A Newb!

Hello everyone! My wife & I are proud new owners of a 2017 Forza 38W Class A Diesel Pusher Motorhome! This is both the first RV we've owned, and the first Class A motorhome we've experienced. We both come from families who love to RV, and have experienced RV'ing with family & friends in camper trailers, 5th wheels, & Class B & C gasoline motorhomes throughout our individual lives and together over our 14+ years of marriage. While we're not total newbies to RV'ing, I think it's fair to say we're both excitedly intimidated by what we're about to get into - both in terms of RV Ownership & RV Class use & operation. We are a family of 6, with our 4 kids (GBGG) ranging from 4 - 13 years old, and cannot wait for the awesome adventures and memorable experiences we will all create together in our new-to-us Winnie!

My wife & I plan to fly one way to SLC, UT where our motorhome is currently being stored by the previous owner, and then drive it back home to the KCMO Metro area. As this will be our maiden voyage in this type of RV, we're wondering if ya'll have any tips for things we should be aware of with operating Class A Diesel Pushers, and perhaps even this specific model - the Forza 38W? This isn't my only source of knowledge & information, as I've been attending the "YouTube Academy" in pursuit of a Masters in DIY Class A Diesel RV'ing; however, I know that it pays to get as much information from others' direct experiences as possible. Which is why I'm here! I'm interested in suggestions for creating pre-trip safety checklists, insider tips & tricks, proper mirror adjustment, size awareness on the road, driver cockpit setup & use, in-a-pinch overnight options while traveling, campground memberships, insurance, roadside service, motorhome-friendly travel stops, must-have accessories, tools (including actual tools and technology "tools" & apps), etc.

We won't have our kids with us to distract us during our bring-it-home trip. We wanted to take the opportunity, and a 4-day kid-free weekend, to familiarize ourselves with the RV and get it home safely. Then, follow that "orientation trip" with a Season-full of RV-life experiences with the whole family onboard! I want to thank you all in advance for your input and constructive feedback. We realize we're in over our heads by diving straight into the proverbial deep-end of RV'ing, and we are so-very-appreciative of your assistance in helping us make this experience (and many more!) a memorable & safe one for us & our family.
DrgnRebrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations on your new motorhome! I think the three most important items for you would be your Chiefs, Royals, and Sporting KC stickers for your new coach since your headed for KCMO.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2003 View Post
Congratulations on your new motorhome! I think the three most important items for you would be your Chiefs, Royals, and Sporting KC stickers for your new coach since your headed for KCMO.
Haha! YES Bones2003! Those happen to be the first 3 items on my pre-possession checklist!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
Site Team

Congrats, as well!

Many times when buying from a private seller they will include a lot of the stuff you'll need from day one. Do you know if this is the case with your purchase? Because, as you've no doubt learned from YouTube you will need a lot of "stuff."

Stuff... such as water specific hose and a backup/extension, non-drinking water hose for the Black Tank Flush, Sewer hose and extension, hose elbow, gloves for dumping, 50 amp power cord extension, 30/15 amp power adapters and of course, folding chairs, maybe an outdoor rug and such.

Plus you'll want to drive the RV first to a Grocery Store to stock the fridge and panty. Don't forget about pots, pans, plates, glasses and cups, coffee maker and the list goes on and on and on.

I'm going to assume you've got the mechanicals checked out and covered. Make sure to spend 4 to 6 or more hours with the seller to go over the operation of EVERYTHING. Don't miss or skip a thing. And you're doing two things during this. One learning how to work everything and two making sure that everything works.

It's impossible to point out all the possible pain points you will encounter but what we see here are folks that are baffled by how to work the TVs, how the Hot Water Heater works, how the thermostat works and how to level and work the slides.

Most of us Class A owners have started out small with a small RV or travel trailer and moved up to a full-sized motor home. So, we had to learn our motorhome but not all the little camping/rv tasks that are all part of the journey. So, good luck to you.

PS. Take your travel days slow. Don't try to make good time with speed or long hours behind the wheel. Plan your fuel stops in advance each day and try to find the fuel stations that are the easiest to get in and out of - not the one necessarily with the lowest price fuel. Many motorhome drivers find large truck stops the most accommodating with wide lanes huge parking lots and main highway access. We look for Loves, Flying J and Pilot truck stops.

PPS. Watch out for "Tail Swing"! The tail of your RV is way back there a long way behind your back wheels. So, when your RV turns it pivots on those wheels and the tail end swings way out past your turning point. Due to tail swing parking lots and fuel stations are where you really need to watch. Go extra slow and remember GOAL... Get Out And Look. don't worry if you are holding up other cars. Just do what you need to do to be safe.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Wow creativepart, thank you so much! That is a great list of "start here" points!

I am not sure on included gear, though I am assuming those must-have accessory items are with the coach already. Our situation is somewhat unique... We are very good friends with the current owners. In fact, they've gifted us this coach as a "thank you" for our role in helping them get their now-successful business up & running. They bought it last year, used it for the Summer, and have since moved to Hawaii and have had the RV in full-service long-term storage since. We actually haven't seen the coach! This is also the reason why we're jumping "head-first" right into Class A ownership, for our first RV. As our friends will not be there when we physically take possession (we already have the title), to provide us a detailed walk-through and use orientation, I am trying to source the type of information you noted as important, from current or former owners of the Forza-series diesel pushers. Or from any Class A or other RV, as well as any general RV-use advise too!
Old 04-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Site Team

Wow. jump ahead I say! Before you go, contact the Storage place and see if someone there can do a PDI for a fee. Or contact a NRVIA inspector and find one that you can pay to do the PDI for you.

It may cost you $300 or more dollars but will be a $3000 in the short and long run.

Here are two NRVIA Inspectors in Utah:

https://nrvia.org/member-information/?uid=2911

https://nrvia.org/member-information/?uid=2897

These are certified RV Inspectors and know RV's inside and out. They'll not only be able to tell you how everything works they'll be able to tell you what doesn't work and what needs work ASAP.

The PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) is vitally important for any new RV owner.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Wow. jump ahead I say! Before you go, contact the Storage place and see if someone there can do a PDI for a fee. Or contact a NRVIA inspector and find one that you can pay to do the PDI for you.

It may cost you $300 or more dollars but will be a $3000 in the short and long run.

Here are two NRVIA Inspectors in Utah:

https://nrvia.org/member-information/?uid=2911

https://nrvia.org/member-information/?uid=2897

These are certified RV Inspectors and know RV's inside and out. They'll not only be able to tell you how everything works they'll be able to tell you what doesn't work and what needs work ASAP.

The PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) is vitally important for any new RV owner.
Wow! I cannot begin to tell you how very much appreciative & thankful I am for that information. Thank you so much!!! I will most definitely do all of the things you've suggested, starting with the storage facility. They market themselves as a full service RV storage business, so I'm certain they'll be able to accommodate my needs in this, whether it's through them or having someone else do the PDI.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

A coach that has been sitting in storage in SLC has probably been winterized unless it was indoors and heated so that will need to be addressed. It could also have dead batteries amongst a list of other "startup after storage" issues. I suggest you find a full hookup drive through spot in an RV park very close to SLC to spend a couple of nights going through all the systems plus take a couple of short drives. If you have problems, you might be able to get them taken care of there. Between SLC and KCMO there are a whole lot of areas that are out in the middle of nowhere and cold, snow, and ice in the mountains is not a good place to be broken down.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a