Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need awning help

Just recently bought a 2018 Winnebago Intent 31p.
We have been traveling in it for a few weeks.
Supposed to be leaving Northern Minnesota in the morning heading back toward home (FL).
Just had a bad rain storm. It bent one of the arms of my awning and detached it from the reel.
What is the best way to remove it or secure it so I can drive to a repair shop or further? I am assuming parts will not be on hand and I dont want to have to cancel the rest of our travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220728_210130.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	183652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220728_210117.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	499.5 KB
ID:	183653  

Name:	20220728_210136.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	183654   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220728_210154.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	183655  

Name:	20220728_210238.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	183656  
Mattlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Matt,
I tried to find some specific instructions for your awning, but struck-out. If it were me, I would just start unbolting the thing and save the good parts. We do have many Intent owners on this forum, so hopefully some of those folks can help-out.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 07-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

So sorry to see that.
I can't offer advice on removal but I do have some input on awnings in general

I was extending ojr patio awning one day and about 3 or so feet out the opposite end of the motor end just fell off the holder. It slightly bent the motor.

A screw, and there is only one, holding the end cap was missing and it was just a matter of time before the end fell off. We were very fortunate that it was while parked and extending.

Pop rivet the cap back on and eventually replaced the wobbly motor.

I'm post this because after fixing the awning I got the ladder out and checkd the other end caps. On each one there is only one retaing screw holding the cap on. I was able to turn and tighten each screw 3/4 to 1 full turn.

I now make it a check list item to check them every few months.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My thouhgts (without having done it) are that the awning is pretty well beyond recovery and to drive it has to all be removed from the RV.
Iwould look at how the vertical metal strips are attached to the body and see if they can be removed to travel.

Possible need to fill the holes with something easy to remove like blobs of silicone caulk to keep rain out until replacing the awning?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks everyone for your input.
After further inspection it appears a branch fell on one of the arms during the rain and bent it.
Wayne M you are right there is only 1 screw attaching the reel to the arm.
It seems the only damage is the 1 arm and the cover that attaches to the arm. It is a Carefree of Colorado travel'r adjustable pitch awning. I am trying to locate the parts now.
If I take it off the Motor home I am not sure how I will bring it with me.
Dont think it will easily fit inside with the slide closed.
By the way, does RV/motor home insurance cover the damages?
Mattlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My go to place for partrs is Litchsin RV in Forest City, IA. It is about 1 mile from the Winnebago Service Center

(641) 585-3213
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlogan View Post
Thanks everyone for your input.
After further inspection it appears a branch fell on one of the arms during the rain and bent it.
Wayne M you are right there is only 1 screw attaching the reel to the arm.
It seems the only damage is the 1 arm and the cover that attaches to the arm. It is a Carefree of Colorado travel'r adjustable pitch awning. I am trying to locate the parts now.
If I take it off the Motor home I am not sure how I will bring it with me.
Dont think it will easily fit inside with the slide closed.
By the way, does RV/motor home insurance cover the damages?

Yes, I can certainly see the problems with getting it inside to haulbut then looking atoptions, what choices do you have?
I assume it will notrollup in the damaged condition? The arms are not likely to fold in their current state?
So it seems it will have to be removed to make sure it can't blow in the wind while traveling. It is an awkward situation but then, it may be worth considering what value is left in the current condition if at least one end cap and one arm are pretty well beyond use.

One might try buying a hundred or so feet of cord or rope of some type to see if it is possible to tie the whole thing on the side or top of the RV for travel but that is hard to see working well with the variety of things on top and not wanting to block the access door.

If no time and likely no parts to get it repaired local, I might lean toward biting the bullet to junk this one and replace with new as parts often tend tobe more expensive than the whole on RV.

On the insurance question, it will take a good look at what your specific insurance says. Possible time to make a few calls to your agent for advise?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning