Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinglett View Post
Interesting, this is the first I've ever heard this. I'm still waiting for my new andersen hitch to arrive but will need to check the manual when it arrives. I thought they said to evenly squat both front and back, but maybe I just assumed that or saw it in other videos.

Todd
Their video just says 4 turns from the point where the slack is gone, which is sort of odd because that would depend on how high you had the tongue jacked up, but maybe they address that earlier in the video. See 7 minute mark.

https://help.andersenhitches.com/ins...ribution-hitch
Old 08-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

See the 9:40 mark on this video.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Finally Read the manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Their video just says 4 turns from the point where the slack is gone, which is sort of odd because that would depend on how high you had the tongue jacked up, but maybe they address that earlier in the video. See 7 minute mark.

https://help.andersenhitches.com/ins...ribution-hitch
Ok - I finally looked up the 32 page manual for my Fastway e2 round bar hitch ( the dealer never gave me one ) and it clearly says to first load the tow vehicle as it would be taking that particular trip, then measure the front wheel well height at the axle. Then put the loaded trailer on the hitch and measure again. Then using the WD bring the measurement back to between at least halfway to or all the way to the original reading. Never mentions the need to measure the rear wheel well or compare it in anyway to the front. I think there is an old saying - when all else fails, read the instructions 😀. I learn more everyday....
Tbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
Never mentions the need to measure the rear wheel well or compare it in anyway to the front. I think there is an old saying - when all else fails, read the instructions 😀. I learn more everyday....
Some trucks will squat a lot in the back, so it would probably be impossible to level those. I would also wonder how much force you'd be putting on the frame and hitch receiver even on vehicles that didn't squat a lot.

As to your comment, there's another saying too--four initials. This forum is pretty laid back, or maybe pretty up tight, either way I'm not sure I could post them here. But you can watch the first episode of "The IT Crowd" on Netflix and see it within the first three minutes. That T-Shirt had a secondary meaning that I totally missed the first time(s) watching the show.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Awesome Winnebago Dealer

The last day of our trip from Florida to MA in our new Micro Minnie, the refrigerator decided to stop working on propane. It worked fine on AC and kept cool enough from being on AC all night that we didn’t lose any food.

I would literally be passing by ‘ The Largest Winnebago dealer in the Northeast ‘ located in West Boylston MA so I figured I would call them and explain I was on a 1300 mile trip and ask if they could take a quick look at the Fridge to help us out.

Their answer was they could look at it in 2 months. No empathy, no suggestions on what I could look at, could care less about our situation to the point of almost being rude on the phone.

I then called Outdoor Sports Center in Concord, NH. It is perhaps the smallest Winnebago dealer in the Northeast, family owned, whose website says they primarily only service what they sell. The owner ( Lev ) asked if we could stop by ( the same day I called ) and he would take a look. This was late on a Friday afternoon. He wasn’t able to pinpoint the problem immediately but by Monday I had a phone call that it was ready to go. A huge thanks to Lev and his business. I could tell the short time I was there that these folks know all their customers by name and offer service and support you just don’t find anymore. And although i wasn’t his customer, he understood my plight and made an exception to his service policy.

Thank you Outdoor Sports Center - I encourage anyone in the New England area to strongly consider them if you are in the market for an RV.

Tbear
Old 08-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
The last day of our trip from Florida to MA in our new Micro Minnie, the refrigerator decided to stop working on propane....but by Monday I had a phone call that it was ready to go.
And???? The problem they fixed was?
Old 08-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Fridge Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
And???? The problem they fixed was?
The fridge wouldn’t stay on in propane mode.

The igniter rod/wire that sparks to ignite the flame also serves as the thermal sensor that ‘ tells ‘ the gas valve relay to stay open because ignition has occurred.

Although the rod sparked to ignite the flame, after about 45 seconds the gas valve would close thinking there was no flame. Lev first replaced the control board thinking it might be an electronics failure but that didn’t solve the problem. He then put the original board back and replaced the igniter rod/wire and the gas valve appropriately stayed on resulting in the fridge operating normally.

Tbear
Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Speaking of the Micro Mini Series and concerning the Anderson hitches can anyone measure the vertical frame tongue width for me? Anderson has brackets for a standard 4.375 width (height") and a somewhat universal bracket for 3", 4", 5", 6" frame width/height. And another for 7", 8" widths.

Thanks!
Frankf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankf View Post
Speaking of the Micro Mini Series and concerning the Anderson hitches can anyone measure the vertical frame tongue width for me? Anderson has brackets for a standard 4.375 width (height") and a somewhat universal bracket for 3", 4", 5", 6" frame width/height. And another for 7", 8" widths.

Thanks!
Sorry, my trailer is in storage, but I think you also need to measure the height from your receiver to the hitch, so I suspect you'll need to go to your trailer.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Sorry, my trailer is in storage, but I think you also need to measure the height from your receiver to the hitch, so I suspect you'll need to go to your trailer.
Thanks. Yes, I'm just going to have to locate a 2108DS at a dealer or find some one who has one. That's probably the only way to be 100 sure of what I need to know.

1. Distance from ground to bottom of coupler.
2. Length of the side of the frame (place where brackets go).
3. Distance from top of tongue frame, to ground.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I'm just going to have to locate a 2108DS at a dealer or find some one who has one.
Or maybe find someone with your same tow vehicle. But don't the 2108s come in two different heights?
Old 08-20-2020, 07:06 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Or maybe find someone with your same tow vehicle. But don't the 2108s come in two different heights?
Yes, from what my research has determined there is an off-road package that raises the height of the trailer? How much, I don't know. Then I saw a video from a dealer that stated that there were three separate height levels that could be selected. Of course this could not be done on the fly, but doable using jacks.

So then this begs the question, does the frame, including the A-frame remain the same height regardless of whether your have the off road package or not? I would think the frame height never changes. My guess would be larger diameter tires (and maybe that's a part of the off road package) would be the only way to raise the frame.

At this point we're thinking about just going ahead and have a dealer order us one. For me, the off road package would not be necessary. I just ordered a carport/shelter to put on a concrete pad I had poured, and I went with an 11' gable opening. I hope I'm good. Specs say 10.5 including AC unit is the max height.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So then this begs the question, does the frame, including the A-frame remain the same height regardless of whether your have the off road package or not? I would think the frame height never changes. My guess would be larger diameter tires (and maybe that's a part of the off road package) would be the only way to raise the frame.
The entire frame would change height, and the tires could change it further. The only thing that wouldn't change from a height adjustment would be the axle ground clearance--but it could change with a change of tires.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The entire frame would change height, and the tires could change it further. The only thing that wouldn't change from a height adjustment would be the axle ground clearance--but it could change with a change of tires.
That makes sense. Not sure what I was thinking. Axle height remains the same, frame itself could vary.

I wonder if that positioning is what the off road package is mostly about? Hopefully the dealer may know the specifics. I'll poke around on the web and see if I can find anything else. You've been very helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

I think it's typically at the top or bottom setting. Someone might want a middle setting if they had the smaller tires but wanted a bit more ground clearance on the sewer drain, etc., but didn't want the appearance to be too odd.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
...I wonder if that positioning is what the off road package is mostly about?

You're correct. The off-road package is primarily the axles being set on the lowest holes in their brackets and the addition of 15" tires/wheels. I think it also includes a double entry step to accommodate the additional height. I bought a 1706 FB in March without the offroad package but had the dealer set the axles lower and added the double entry steps. I passed on the ultra-expensive 15" wheels and tires as I can do much better through Tire Rack and an onlne trailer wheel dealer if I choose.

Here's something to consider, however. I'm already finding that extra three inches of height is giving me additional protection from dragging the sewer drain pipe in very hilly situations, even though I've not had the trailer on any Forest Service roads yet. If Winnebago had located those drains a bit closer to the wheels than they did, it would have helped the break-over angle some.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout One View Post
... I passed on the ultra-expensive 15" wheels and tires as I can do much better through Tire Rack and an onlne trailer wheel dealer if I choose...
But is there just one wheel option? The nice aluminum ones. I would have guessed the Explorer/Off Road option just used a more aggressive tread tire,
same diameter, maybe a higher profile to gain some height.

If I have to loose the aluminum wheels by deleting the off road package, I will get the package. Those wheels make the rig look better, to me.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
But is there just one wheel option? The nice aluminum ones. I would have guessed the Explorer/Off Road option just used a more aggressive tread tire, same diameter, maybe a higher profile to gain some height.

If I have to loose the aluminum wheels by deleting the off road package, I will get the package. Those wheels make the rig look better, to me.

I agree. But remember, I was putting the off-road package on a trailer that did not come equipped with it. The dealer wanted $1200 for the 15" tires and wheels to replace the 14" combo I kept. I can buy five of these: https://www.trailer-wheels.com/15x6-...ad_p_1199.html and five of these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes for $1102.75 with free shipping. The dealer wanted $1200 for four factory 15" wheels and tires.

Now if I ever do upsize to a 15" wheel/tire combo with off-road tires, I'd look into a tire with a much better load rating, but you get the picture. I suspect buying a Winnebago off the lot with the off-road package gets you the five wheels and tires less expensively than what my dealer quoted me to get them after the fact.

Edit to add: The first thing I noticed also was that the trailer still looked good to my eyes with the 14s, even after it being raised those three inches. The second thing I'm realizing is that I'm not going to need LT off-road tires to drag it up a forest service road. A trail, yes, but a graded road, probably not. 14" Goodyear Endurance rubber will be just fine for where I want to go. If I really need to put by-God off-road tires on a trailer, I'd get a stouter trailer first. Something like this: https://www.patriotcampers.com.au/x3/
Old 08-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #39
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I’d ask Tireman, he seem to be the quintessential authority on tires— I would encourage you to also read his blog.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...an9-44688.html
Old 08-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Ok, so I've got my hands on 2021 brochure and it appears that for these models ( Micro Minnie & Minnie) the Comfort Tech & Explorer Pkg is pre equipped. I'm not sure they can be deleted and really don't know why anyone would unless you have a specific need.

Looks like the 15k BTU A/C is the only option you can opt for as best I can tell.

This is a good thing as it makes ordering one a simple process.

From the brochure:

Comfort Tech Package
-------------------------
• Laminated, block foam sidewalls
• Extreme Weather Radiant Foil wrapping
• Roof-mountA/C systems
• Insulatedheating ducts
• Heated tanks
• Enclosed underbelly

Explorer Package
-------------------
• Roof-mount solar prep