Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Major Downsizing to 2017 Winnebago ERA 70A

Hello to all and thanks for allowing me to join your site.

I love RV'ing and are not new to the RV life style. I have had many rigs including a Allegro Bus, Class C Four Winds, Forest River Travel trailer and my latest a Cougar 5th Wheel.

Getting older and looking to make life simpler, I have downsized to a 2017 Winnebago ERA 70a which is so easy to drive (even if it is space challenged,)

As I am sure many will tell me its going to be a major difference. In the long haul it will be so much easier to maintain and when you consider the inflation costs in the last 2 years I am looking for some savings there as well (if I can stay out of the Mercedes Benz dealership lol).

Like life in general, it will be another new learning experience that awaits me!
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm with you on this. We're getting to the point that we're seriously considering selling our class A and are considering our options. I'm just physically not up to dealing with everything that goes along with a class A, hooking and unhooking a toad etc. anymore.

I've always done my own non-chassis maintenance but climbing on the roof isn't in the cards anymore and I don't feel like paying someone to do a less quality job than I would have done. Besides that, our MH has had both of it's CAT converters stolen from the storage yard. I want something I can park at home

In many ways it's starting to seem like more of a burden than an asset. I want something that's simpler to maintain and doesn't require a toad. Plus, having started out with a DIY van conversion in 1972, followed by two VW Westfalia pop-tops, it might make us feel young again.

My wife is in a wheelchair which is an added complication but we have an Econoline E350 van with a lift. I'm planning on doing a minimal conversion with not much more than a bed, 12V fridge and a porta potty to see how things go before doing anything more extensive. It already has solar and I'll install shore power so we'll can have a small microwave, etc. Winnebago's accessible Roam is interesting but I'm not up for that level of investment right off the bat.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Bob, the Winnebago Roam seems like its right up your alley. I have a friend who is mobility challenged and has one. His wife does most of the driving (which in the past with their Class A she would get nowhere near the Captains chair).

Much like myself it's been a learning experience for him going from an Allegro Breeze to a Roam. He too purchased his B used and saved a great deal of money on it.

Cheers and all the best enjoy the road!
Old 06-07-2023, 05:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmaster View Post
Bob, the Winnebago Roam seems like it's right up your alley. I have a friend who is mobility challenged and has one. His wife does most of the driving (which in the past with their Class A she would get nowhere near the Captains chair).
Just to close the loop, we've determined the Roam isn't for us. We've been looking at reviews and they're not for everyone in a wheelchair. The bed is too high and some reviewers find it impossible to transfer themselves from their wheelchair to the bed and the driver/passenger seats. Many of these "accessible" rigs are only truly accessible to agile, young individuals, not 70-somethings.

Also, at this point in our lives, we're not going to be using an RV enough to justify an expensive rig.
Old 07-06-2023, 06:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear Bob, no doubt the challenges and costs outweigh the benefits.

Perhaps you can take advantage of the many campgrounds that have cabins that you can occupy. This way you can still experience the sites and experience of traveling the US without the super high cost of a custom rig. Best wishes to you both!
Old 07-06-2023, 06:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks, but campground cabin accessibility is also a challenge. For now, my priority is to get my E350 van fitted out for overnights and see how it works. If it does, we may get a Sprinter van and convert it to our needs.

Tags
winnebago