Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2023, 11:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking for our first trailer

Hello all,

We are try to find our first trailer. We are fairly set on a 2108fbs flx with the couch in the slide and NOT the dinette. They seem pretty scarce. Also planning on using the Anderson hitch behind our 21 colorado. From the information I find it looks like the height of the hitch on the trailer is 28 inches which seems really tall? Can anyone confirm that with any similar micro mini? Thanks for the large resource of info!

Jim and Jennifer.
RVJimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I can’t remember exactly what it measured but I do know it was close enough to what was advertised I figured it could be just a difference in where we measured, within an inch maybe two. We have a 2108DS flx we pull with a ‘21 Canyon and an Andersen hitch. I believe one of the other members here has a similar setup and they recommended the 8” drop which I use as a rise in the second hole down. So definitely do not go with the 4” drop if you haven’t made your purchase yet. I think the member who advised on this had purchased the 4” drop and had to purchase the 8” later. Welcome to the forum. Good luck hunting down the trailer you are after. We’ve enjoyed ours the little bit we were able to use it. Just waiting for warmer weather now.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Wayne, thanks for the info. I think I did find the thread you referenced and it does seem like we will need the 8 inch in the rise configuration.

Jim
Old 02-23-2023, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Micro Minnie

We have a new 2022 2108 TB with the couch. We did not go with the flex. Seemed too expensive. Without an absorption cycle fridge the battery life boondocking is not that great with the flex. We installed a 100ah Lifepo battery from Amazon that works great. We installed a small inverter behind the television to power the tv and my laptop.
The couch can move out while driving on bumpy roads. We stuff two large pillows between the couch and cabinets while driving.
I think there is a lot of rv inventory so negotiate aggressively on anything you buy. We paid 8k less than the dealer asking price.
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2023 2108 fbs flx

We have found our first trailer!

We decided to get a 2023 Micro MIni 2108 fbs flx. Don't even have it yet

We expect to go get it in the next few weeks and our plan is to follow the normal routine of pdi, walk thru inspection and education of the systems. Then an overnight somewhere close to the dealership to uncover any immediate problems and create a list of questions we might have after a short initial use period.

With no unusual problems we plan to bring it home which should be about one easy day's drive.

So, what sort of must have things do we need to take with us or plan to purchase once we get to the dealership?

Special thanks to
Gatekeeper for all his time answering all my early questions up to this point!
Old 03-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Jim,

Make it a point in the PDI to have the FLX unplugged from the building to make sure the inverter is setup correctly in order to use the AC and 110v side. When I did my PDI I did not do this and freaked out once I was home 1,200 miles later with no working AC. But with all of the information here on the forums I got it figured out and let my dealer (maybe yours) know the correct setting for the inverter.

Enjoy the FLX!

Karl
Gtekeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

New RV

Seems like every new RV has problems. They often have water leaks and wiring issues. Remove the screws and floor panel and check all of the fittings under the sink with full water pressure from the pump. Pull the screws and remove the panel over the water heater in the bathroom and look for leaks. Both of these get removed when you weatherize. One valve gets rotated under the sink and two at the water heater.
Bring lots of tools on your maiden voyage. Take pics of all issues. Torque wheel nuts. Try not to swear too often. -)
Scott
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Congrats on the trailer. I’ll give you a quick run down on my first hand experience. Our dealer knew less than I did regarding the trailer and the Flx systems so the PDI was a waste of time. I actually educated him a little, thanks in a large part to this forum.

As for the condition of the unit when we took delivery everything seemed to work fine and no cosmetic issues. I did have to go through the inverter settings after I noticed some things that didn’t look right like the battery type once we got it home. There’s a good thread here on what the settings should be. You’ve probably seen that.

We took it out the first weekend for a shake down and did encounter one problem and we really did put it through its paces That problem was a leaky water fitting under the sink. I had to remove the panel to access. The fitting has thumb wings on it for hand tightening which I did and took care of the problem, very simple.

Our second weekend trip we went to a rustic campsite with no hookups and a lot of shade. It was October so not the longest days and we were in the woods. We played it conservatively on the first night, just running the furnace, a CPAP, and the fridge. When we woke up in the morning we still had 70% battery left. After that we weren’t nearly as conservative with our electrical usage. The only thing we didn’t use was the AC Andy the connection function on the microwave.

After the second day we still had 40%. So my opinion is that the fridge does okay with power consumption. We did have a second leak when we flushed our black tank on the second trip. The vacuum breaking check valve didn’t seat properly so some water sprayed under the bathroom sink from the black tank flush. I removed it to see if it was repairable and it’s isn’t however after testing the reinstall it functioned properly again.

So in a nut shell if your experience is as good as or better than mine you should be happy. Not to say the previous posts are inaccurate but no real significant issues needing attention and pleased with the battery life and the fridge’s impact in it. Good luck!!
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Jim, first congrats on the new FLX. These look like a great choice!

As others have mentioned multiple times here many dealers are really lacking in knowledge of how the FLX is setup and operates. Winnebago has supposedly “trained” the dealers, but they only trained one person who only works on full moons that fall on the 8th of the month. So, it’s a crap shoot on learning the system.

There are some essential threads here on the setup and operation of the batteries and the inverter. Be sure to seek those out and read up on this in advance.

Your plan sounds great for accepting the new TT. Be sure to tell the dealer what you expect from him and what you will need him to expect from you. Many dealers rush you through this process and they are woefully unprepared for something you’d think they’d have lots of practice with. But many don’t see the CDI as important.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Congrats Jim. Great purchase decision.

Don’t rush the PDI. If it takes less than an hour, you’re rushing it. You want to ensure all the important stuff is working before you leave the dealer. And, even some of the small stuff becomes annoying after you’ve left the dealer and found something that doesn’t work, that you may not be able to fix. Overnighting close to dealer is a great idea.

Climb up and inspect the roof during PDI. Big time problems can be intercepted here if you see anything amiss. Get under the trailer and check to see if the coroplast is not buckled and is covering properly. Inspect the tank brace retaining bolts. Look at the brake lines. Inspect the tires for any crazing or bubbles. Check air pressure with the digital tire gauge in your pocket. Make sure that when you hook up, your trailer is level and tv rear squat is less than an inch. It will increase a bit after trailer is loaded.

If you’re good with tools, you should be able to fix most things without having to return to the dealer for warranty service, which can take months. Hunker down, make a list of stuff you can fix and stuff you can’t. Things will fall apart and you’ll find them on the floor. Use blue painters tape and tape the parts to the wall over the kitchen sink. Then when you get home, you can investigate where the part goes, and you won’t lose it by putting it in a drawer.

Your initial tow may not feel great because your trailer will not be loaded with gear and fresh water. So, your tongue weight will probably be too light on the way home. After you get home and have begun to load your camper with gear and fresh water, camp in your driveway for a night to make sure everything is working as expected, including A/C and furnace. Then take your loaded Micro Minnie to a CAT scale and get your weights. First weigh the tow vehicle by itself. Then weigh tv and trailer with no WDH engaged. The difference between tv rear axle weight alone and rear axle weight with trailer hooked up (no WDH bars engaged) will be your trailer tongue weight. After you have these numbers, it becomes very easy to balance your tv loads and trailer loads to get the best tow combination.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We may actually be going to pickup our new trailer this week, hopefully!

Can anyone using an Anderson wdh please verify that the four bolts that hold the trailer brackets are long enough? The bolts that came with my hitch are 4" and the brackets are each 1/2". So if the trailer frame at the tongue is is any wider than about 2.5" the bolts won't be long enough.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hello Jim! Congratulations on the decision! We finally jumped in with both feet and picked up our 2108 TB last month and are anxious to get out. Took us about a year of looking at them to make sure. When I picked up ours I went with the Andersen WDH. I took some pictures to share so you can see it attached. Hopefully it will. Our dealership owner we purchased from said that was all he sold for his towables and that he trusted them more than anything else. He told me that he has 3 rvs within their immediate family and each one is connected with an Andersen. I had them install so I honestly am not sure what was in the package. I can say this, our dealer is about 4 hours away from our home and I could barely tell it was there when I wasn’t in a windy area. That said, it was one of those crazy spring windy days that we’ve abnormally had lately and when a cross wind would hit I would feel it a little. It wasn’t bad though thankfully. I am pulling with a 3/4 ton pickup so that probably help a bit too. By the way, it was super easy to disconnect. Once I figure out how to attach the picture to this thread I will. ��.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 04:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

For some reason I’m not able to attach my photos. I measured the bolt that is on the mounts. Counting the end of the thread to the outside edge of the bolt head it appears to be around 4-3/8 inch. If anyone can advise on picture attachment please do so. Doesn’t appear to be accessing my photo library.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Figured it out! Have to do advanced reply for the option!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC51BFE3-7C15-4A39-B1C8-2F98E22C7854.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	186019   Click image for larger version

Name:	46175BC1-B8EA-4BB8-978A-C30839DF9D85.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	186020  

Old 05-16-2023, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Grizz,

Thanks a bunch for the measurement and the photos! That really helps put me at ease. It is going to be a 10hr drive from home to the dealer so I am really trying to anticipate the hitch assembly. Your information gives me confidence that I have everything I need to mount the hitch to the trailer.