Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leaking fresh water tank

Hi all. New to this group. We have an ‘07 Outlook 329B, which we purchased 3 years ago, with 28k miles, and in good condition. Since then, we have been on two lengthy trips, 2-3 months and 6-8k miles each, plus many shorter trips. With a few minor repairs and needed maintenance, all has gone well. While on a recent week long trip, I noticed a wet spot on the ground under the propane tank. Checking further, I found water dripping from above the tank. Water tanks are above that point, one sitting on the floor, under a dinette bench, with another under the floor that the top one spills into. There is no evidence of leakage from the top tank, i.e., no wet floor. Leak must be from bottom tank, which must be sitting on metal frame. Has anyone had this kind of leak, and how is it fixed? Any kind of slushing compound that can be used inside a potable water tank, or does the tank have to be removed for repair or replacement? If replacement, does that mean cutting into the flooring?

Any help will be appreciated.
Duanem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

The obvious first question is how full was the tank? There is a top overflow and if you set off on a drive with a full tank some water is going to come out of the top overflow and drip off the tank onto the ground.

If the tank is less than 1/2 full then maybe you do have a leak - somewhere. Tank leaks are a bit rare.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Every spring at fill up mine leaks in that exact spot, between the water heater/LP tank and the side entry. It stops after several days or so. I think its the seal on the low point drain/pin.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Tank was less than half full, in fact registering at low point. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Itasca Ellpse 42 QD 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duanem1 View Post
Hi all. New to this group. We have an ‘07 Outlook 329B, which we purchased 3 years ago, with 28k miles, and in good condition. Since then, we have been on two lengthy trips, 2-3 months and 6-8k miles each, plus many shorter trips. With a few minor repairs and needed maintenance, all has gone well. While on a recent week long trip, I noticed a wet spot on the ground under the propane tank. Checking further, I found water dripping from above the tank. Water tanks are above that point, one sitting on the floor, under a dinette bench, with another under the floor that the top one spills into. There is no evidence of leakage from the top tank, i.e., no wet floor. Leak must be from bottom tank, which must be sitting on metal frame. Has anyone had this kind of leak, and how is it fixed? Any kind of slushing compound that can be used inside a potable water tank, or does the tank have to be removed for repair or replacement? If replacement, does that mean cutting into the flooring?

Any help will be appreciated.
I have an Ellipse and recently had a similar experience. My coach is in the shop now for a fix but we think that it is the small diverter valve in the service bay which diverts water from the potable water source at the campground into the coach and allows you to select whether it goes to the fresh water tank or into the coach water system. In order to find out I reduced the water in the tank to 2/3rds and watched the fill gage. What I think is happening is that the valve somehow has failed and is allowing the tank to continuously fill even with the diverter valve closed. This can be seen actually now by the gage slowly filling the tank. It takes quite a while. A neighbor at a campground with an Entegra told me that he had a similar situation which he solved by replacing that valve. We shall see what the dealer comes up with as a fix. I am hoping that the Entegra guy has put his finger on the right button. This may help you.
Capt mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The ‘07 Outlook does not have diverted valve to switch from city water to fill rank mode. Wish it did. But you have gotten me thinking about all the connections between tanksand drain valves. I will need to check all of those before I move to leaking tanks. Thanks.

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water