Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Inverter install on a Itasca 2006 sunrise 38j

Good morning all, we have recently purchased a a 2006 sunrise 38j. It has a 330w solar panel,40a mppt controller and 4 6v house batteries.
I want to install a 3000w inverter just to have via wiring a 50amp receptacle plug that would be directly hard wired to inverter,so my question is do I need to run some sort of power transfer switch to shut down my charger while plugged into the inverter. I just can't wrap my head around how being plugged into the inverter or running the generator would be any different unless there is a transfer switch already in the coach on the downside off the existing coach plug
Thanks
Jay
freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the idea is forming and you need more definite ideas of what you already have? Are you aware of these drawings of the electrical systems which were original?

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_153312.pdf

This is the full set of the 12VDC as nd the other parts if needed:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

One point that you may need to watch for is that it sounds like some has been added to your RV, so don't trust the diagrams without checking??

Can we start with a couple questions? I see there are options for have smallish inverters on your year, make, model, so is it that you are wanting to add a larger or to serve different areas/uses?

This link will get you more directly to the correct schematic drawings for the AC portion, but your RV has a number of options that you might need to sort through to get the right one if you have a specific question about some option like a drier, etc:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_154822.pdf
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

It has the stock 600w inverter in the cupboard above the passenger seat which I am planning on leaving but I want to add the 3000 in case there are times when we are not allowed to run generator and need coffee lol
Old 02-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Good morning all, we have recently purchased a a 2006 sunrise 38j. It has a 330w solar panel,40a mppt controller and 4 6v house batteries.
I want to install a 3000w inverter just to have via wiring a 50amp receptacle plug that would be directly hard wired to inverter,so my question is do I need to run some sort of power transfer switch to shut down my charger while plugged into the inverter. I just can't wrap my head around how being plugged into the inverter or running the generator would be any different unless there is a transfer switch already in the coach on the downside off the existing coach plug
Thanks
Jay
If you successfully install the 3000Watt inverter and have the Battery to support it and you have wired it to a fifty amp receptacle, I would think you could simply plug your shore power cable into the new receptacle. Leave the auto transfer switch original, you would just be feeding the coach from the inverter instead of shore power. if you start the genset it will transfer over, and charge the house batteries. When you shut the genset off it will transfer back to your inverter source or shore power if you plug into shore power. You will need heavy gauge wire on the DC side with fusing and disconnects then exercise energy management but that would work.
Bob35A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
It has the stock 600w inverter in the cupboard above the passenger seat which I am planning on leaving but I want to add the 3000 in case there are times when we are not allowed to run generator and need coffee lol
I will be adding two 255AH 6V golf cart batteries in series, wired to a 3000 watt inverter using 250 amp DC breaker disconnect and an addition on/off switch near the inverter, wired with THHN 4/0 wire. The 120 volt AC side will be completely separate from the coach. I just use the receptacles on the inverter with extension cords, it is very important to make coffee no matter where you are!!
Bob35A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Okay, with the coffee being the driver, is it possible to look at simple ways to do the coffee that involve very little change otherwise? I big on not adding complexity to my Rv life if I can avoid it and we have recently found a new way to do our coffee without electricity!

We each like different coffee, so that already means two brews but when we were without power during the recent ice storm in Texas, we found we wanted coffee but the electric brewing was out----but we did have gas stove. But neither of use like boiled coffee like her parents always did it.

But if you think of what a coffee percolator actually does, it can make life easy. All it does is heat the water to the point it requires to pass up to the top and drop down through the coffee in the filter, so we found we could heat the water on the gas stove and when at the preferred temp, we then pour it down through the coffee and filter in the percolator! Some trail and error helped to get the temp right and we do use a thermometer but the rest requires no extra effort or equipment!

No foul if you don't favor the idea but it does mean our coffee brew is much simpler----for the next time Texas screws up the power! They've done it three times since we've been here and I'm sure it coming again at some point.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If all you want to do is to make coffee, I would replace the existing 600 watt inverter with at least a 1500 watt one. You will have to upgrade the DC wiring to at least #2 gauge. Then run a new circuit from the new inverter to the kitchen and install an outlet dedicated to the inverter.

There are all sorts of ways to install inverters including adding one with an automatic transfer switch that will let you power the whole coach form an inverter. But installation will be more expensive and complicated.

Upgrading the existing inverter is probably the simplest solution in accordance with Morich's KISS principle.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

converter/inverter

so now the more research i do the more confused, so now a buddy has offered me a new xantrex freedom 458 inverter/charger unit (new) for free model 81-2010-12 with built in transfer switch, what im not sure is that is my converter also the charger? would i simply replace it with the 458? and does anyone know where the converter is located on my 2006 itasca sunrise 38j? i just bought it then we got hit by snowstorm so havnt had time to poke around it yet hopefully tuesday. thanks
Old 02-20-2021, 05:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

That is a very nice inverter/charger. You can leave your existing converter hooked up and add this one. Both will work together.

Do you have 50A or 30A power? If 30A its fairly easy to hook up this new inverter to take all of the shore power through its transfer switch. When shore power is available it passes it through, when it is not available the inverter produces it.

A 50A supply will be more difficult because you need to split off all of the high power loads and only pass through the low power loads that you want to powr from the inverter.

And finally you will need very big wire, probably 2/0 to connect the batteries to the inverter. Oh and if you rig it for 30A never try to run the A/C. Your batteries will quickly die if you do.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Some info on location of converter can be found here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_154820.pdf
On sheet three, I find the location as marked on the first snip with info to refer to detail EB for details as shown on second snip from page five.
Click these pictures to get a bigger/better view but the general info seems to show the converter being below the entertainment center, likely behind a panel and plugged into a dedicated outlet.

For future needs as you will likely need far more info, this is the trail to get to the drawings/info you will need:
1. https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams
go to wiring
2.choose year, make, model, etc to get here
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

3. Decide which area the info might be in. I now know that your question was likely to be in the body 110 AC so to get the schematic drawing choose the first 110 option but to get the location, rather than the wire details, go to the part they call installation! Which leads to this:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_154820.pdf

Then it is a matter of searching for the item you want like the converter on page three.
Wading into a deep swamp but the info is often there like a needle in a haystack!! Good luck with the project.

On charger, converter, inverter, there is often some confusion just due to the way we may speak of things.
You may find this as you go along. You may find reference to converter and that turns AC to DC and can charge the batteries, or you may find it call a charger! Almost the same but we call them different. If it's putting out voltage higher than the battery, the battery charges.
Then you may find something called an inverter which uses AC to make DC . But there are also times when you find the "inverter" they refer to also has a charger section. Can be two items or one combined under one cover!
So if you are told you have an inverter but there is something charging the battery, suspect it may actually be more correct to call it an inverter charger?
We get sloppy at times!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 conv.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	177406   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 conver2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	177407