Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Introduction - Non owner just yet

Hello all.
Mike here.

Following forum guidelines by making an introduction.

As the title suggests, we (wife and I) do not have a TT... but have been thinking on getting one for years now.
Been doing a lot of searching/researching and came across this website often, so, decided to register.

Years ago we did a lot of self sustained tent camping... out of a Jeep Cherokee.
My wife grew tired of wildlife roaming around the tent at night, then one of our dogs got attacked by a coyote (exiting the tent first thing in the morning, minor injuries, but quite an ordeal just the same) and that was the end of boon docking. We then tried the campground scene and realized that was not for us, and, camping has been on the back shelf for several years now. (last trip was 2006).

Friends have gotten into the TT life, and, we've got a renewed interest.
We have 2 potential tow vehicles, neither are short of power, both are limited on payload. ('19 Jeep SRT 475hp-1050lbs and '19 F150 Limited 450hp-1264lbs).
Looking pretty hard at the micro minnie line... specifically the 2225rl. Going to look at one this coming weekend.
trouble is, sales people keep showing my wife large units and saying the F150 will be just fine... so, convincing her a small(r) trailer is what we are limited to is difficult.

Never had a TT before, so, I'm off to do a bunch more searching, and will likely have a lot of basic newbie questions along the way.

If I've done it right, I've attached a photo of a camp setup from years ago. Not sure the relevance, so, I guess it's just for fun.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6-16-05 002.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	178022  
Mike H.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Mike,
The rain tarp over your camping area looks like you are ready for the elements. It has been years since my Scouting days, and it brings back fond memories.
What an interesting story with your dog getting attacked by a coyote! My dog Grace is an M'lute, who are the progenitors of the Timber Wolf. I have never regretted having her with me. They are the ancient tribal dog of the Inuit, and as such, are naturally protective against other hostile animals.
Just as a suggestion, perhaps you might rent a couple of times to refine your preferences. A few years ago when I suggested to go camping with my wife, she suggested renting a motorhome, which we did. Before we purchased, we first rented all four sizes that Cruise America offers, and then decided on the Winnebago 22M. What I like best about a motorhome is the moment you drive off, it feels like your vacation has begun. Of course, the travel trailers offer other benefits, but they are harder to find rental models to "test the waters."
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 03-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H.3 View Post
trouble is, sales people keep showing my wife large units and saying the F150 will be just fine...
Important thing to realize... a TT salesman will say anything up to 43' will work with an F150. So, pay no attention to the man in the loud pants and sweaty palms.

Most F150 owners look at TTs around 25' - 26' and a total MAX LOADED weight under ~7000 lbs. When I pulled Travel Trailers I looked for dry weight below 5,900 lbs as my guide.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Eagle5
Thanks so much for the reply.
I grew up (first 32yrs of my life) in Maritime Canada, and am very familiar with the M'lute breed. Beautiful dogs. Had a few on my paper route as a kid... thank goodness for strong chains at just the right length. They never conceded I was no threat.
We have always had Shetland Sheepdogs, and, while protective and alert they certainly lack the backup. Thankfully a few well delivered strikes with firewood solved the issue that day.
Considered renting, will have to look into that some more.
Motorhome... I just figured that would be cost prohibitive... maybe I should dig deeper into that angle.
Again, much appreciate your reply, insight and experiences.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Most F150 owners look at TTs around 25' - 26' and a total MAX LOADED weight under ~7000 lbs. When I pulled Travel Trailers I looked for dry weight below 5,900 lbs as my guide.
Thank you.
I'm trying to stay very close to 5000lbs dry, preferably under, and 7000GVW... prefer under 6500lbs.

I find it frustrating the manufactures seem to under-rate dry weight and seems especially tongue weights.
I see many F150's out on the roads that must be over the "limits" doing just fine... but, I want the tow experience to be pleasurable.
As a youngster, my parents/family traveled all over eastern/middle Canada with a pop-up... they moved to a travel trailer, and we never went more than 45 minutes away after that. Simply too much stress/strain towing.
Once, my Dad and I took his 3/4 tonne work truck (a '76 5/4t chev 400cu.in) and my Mum and siblings followed in the car... we never did that again. Eventually, Dad would tow the rig with his work truck the day before, then go up the day after to retrieve, and we'd all head out together in the family wagon... I want to avoid the "hate the tow" experience.

Thank you for affirming I'm on the right track regarding TV capability.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum Mike,
I’ve had motorhomes, truck camper, and travel trailer. All have trade offs. I was in the RV industry for a few years, selling luxury diesel pushers. In considering the build quality of the product you’ll buy, IMHO, only two other brands have a higher build quality than WBGO in towable. And only one other in the Class C category.

We chose a Micro Mini because the cost of ownership (purchase cost, depreciation, maintenance, operating cost, and insurance) is very low compared to motorized rvs, and since we don’t full time, our RV can sit without being used and not tie up our money. Further, if you shop carefully and patiently negotiate the right deal, your Micro Mini will hold its resale value better than practically any other RV.

Hitching up a MM to your tow vehicle is no more complicated or time consuming than hitching up a towed vehicle to a motorized RV. When we had motorhomes, we really didn’t like going anywhere without our “toady”.

So if you’re not sure if you want to keep an RV more than a couple of years, you won’t lose your shirt if you get into, then out of a Micro Mini, whether you buy new or used. Additionally, any Micro Mini can be towed with. A 1/2 ton pickup. We tow with a midsize pickup and that works fine because our midsize makes a better daily driver for our needs.

Take your time in deciding what RV will work best for 90% of your needs, and will fit your pocketbook. Happy trails.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Welcome to the forum Mike
Thank you.
Appreciate all of that.
My F150 is a daily, and I appreciate the capabilities of 250's/350's but don't need the size near often enough.
Also quite enjoying the comfortable ride my current, decently optioned F150 provides.
My previous F150 had max payload HDPP whitch was a beast with over 3000lbs payload, but would beat you up daily driving... and was a bit of a handful on highway curves when unloaded... and my wife refused to drive it.
Interestingly, that HDPP F150 rode more snug, or, rougher, or whatever the description of "worse" could be, than a couple friends F250's.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

AS previously mentioned, don't listen to the sales people on this subject.

A tow vehicle's advertised tow capacity is based on a number of assumptions and may not reflect reality. There are a number of factors, including the payload (including the driver passengers, dogs, etc.) you're carrying in the truck is part of the equation. The advertised rating assumes a 150 lb driver, fuel, standard equipment and nothing else.

Here's one of many online calculators that you can use in exploring your options (don't skip on the safety factor):

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote