Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Winnebago but have been RVing since 2005. I am still pretty new but having loads of fun! This is my first post on this forum but I have been on many other RV forums like rv.net etc for years. My wife and I are in our 30's. We have two children (girls); the oldest is 3 1/2 and the youngest is 13 months. We just ordered (build to order) our 2008 Outlook 31c on December 14th. We are very excited.

We are somewhat casual campers. We mostly like dry camping type camp grounds and boondocking. Our current RV is a 29' travel trailer (Trail-Bay). It's a really nice TT but the hassle of hookup, leveling, length, etc has finally pushed us to upgrade. We originally wanted to buy a Class A or C back in 2005 (when we bought our TT), but since we were new to RV's we wanted to get our feet wet (at a lower cost) before going big.

We visited many RV dealers and checked out so many models in the different classes. When we finally settled on a make on model we had the hardest time finding what we wanted at a good price. After searching for many weeks we finally decided to get quoted on a build-to-order. This was the best move. We ended up getting exactly what we wanted and at the best price. My brother, who was in the market for a Class C loved the price we got so much he ordered one as well. My dealer must of been pretty happy to get two orders at once.

Anyway, now comes the waiting part. I definitely underestimated how agonizing that would be. The dealer said it would take 8-12 weeks and didn't know if there would be delays because of the holiday. I figure by the end of March I should have it.

Reading through threads on this forum a lot of people mention getting the "build date" and VIN number so that you can call Winnebago for status. Of course this sounds like a great idea. When I think of that though, I don't want to "bug" my dealer and the people at Winnebago. I work in a customer service industry myself, and I always appreciate clients who are respectful of how often they poll for status. Keeping that in mind, when would you recommend me calling my dealer for the VIN number / Build date? When should I call Winnebago? Then, when would be a reasonable interval to follow-up with each?

Thank you for your advice and very nice to meet everyone!
ClrCrkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Winnebago but have been RVing since 2005. I am still pretty new but having loads of fun! This is my first post on this forum but I have been on many other RV forums like rv.net etc for years. My wife and I are in our 30's. We have two children (girls); the oldest is 3 1/2 and the youngest is 13 months. We just ordered (build to order) our 2008 Outlook 31c on December 14th. We are very excited.

We are somewhat casual campers. We mostly like dry camping type camp grounds and boondocking. Our current RV is a 29' travel trailer (Trail-Bay). It's a really nice TT but the hassle of hookup, leveling, length, etc has finally pushed us to upgrade. We originally wanted to buy a Class A or C back in 2005 (when we bought our TT), but since we were new to RV's we wanted to get our feet wet (at a lower cost) before going big.

We visited many RV dealers and checked out so many models in the different classes. When we finally settled on a make on model we had the hardest time finding what we wanted at a good price. After searching for many weeks we finally decided to get quoted on a build-to-order. This was the best move. We ended up getting exactly what we wanted and at the best price. My brother, who was in the market for a Class C loved the price we got so much he ordered one as well. My dealer must of been pretty happy to get two orders at once.

Anyway, now comes the waiting part. I definitely underestimated how agonizing that would be. The dealer said it would take 8-12 weeks and didn't know if there would be delays because of the holiday. I figure by the end of March I should have it.

Reading through threads on this forum a lot of people mention getting the "build date" and VIN number so that you can call Winnebago for status. Of course this sounds like a great idea. When I think of that though, I don't want to "bug" my dealer and the people at Winnebago. I work in a customer service industry myself, and I always appreciate clients who are respectful of how often they poll for status. Keeping that in mind, when would you recommend me calling my dealer for the VIN number / Build date? When should I call Winnebago? Then, when would be a reasonable interval to follow-up with each?

Thank you for your advice and very nice to meet everyone!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome ClrCrkRider to irv2 and Winnebago forum.
You should have a sticker on wall behind your drivers seat with the chassis, build date, axel weights and tire inflations and Vin#. Some MFG's may have a sticker on outside wall of coach drivers side with info also.
I'm sure your dealer would check with factory for the info your seeking delivery date to calm your wait.
Good luck and congratulations on your new MH enjoy and many safe miles ahead for you.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Well howdy and welcome

We know how painful the waiting game is since we also ordered our coach Feb ?? 2005 and it was at our dealer early May. I think our serial number was available a couple of weeks after the order was placed. Once you have the serial number, it is pretty easy to have a firm idea of the schedule. Our coach only took about two days to actually build. If your completion date is say March 1, your coach is probably on the assembly line the day or two before. If your timing is right, you can even plan a trip to Forest City and try to find it on the assembly line.

After build, they test it and if everything is working okay, the transporter might pick it up in a day or two. If there are some problems, it might spend an extra day or two at the factory.

I suggest giving the dealer about three weeks (considering the holidays) and then give them a call and ask for your VIN/serial number and build date.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Because our 27C was driven to the CA dealer from the factory with only 1/2 axle fluid, and NOT checked by the dealer, prior to the sale..........I would keep a close watch on this. There was no damage done.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

ClrCrkRider, welcome to the forum.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Congratulations on your new order. I am sure you will enjoy this website and forum while you are waiting to recieve your new coach. Keep us informed as things develop and have fun!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Congrats and welcome to the site. Your kids are going to have some great memories.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Good for you. Your family will grow up in a great lifestyle and be the envy of their peers. What great stories they will tell as they grow up as campers. Welcome and enjoy this great site.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum /. Good to have you here. There are some wonderful folks here always willing to help and share their RV experiences.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone. It is very nice to meet everyone and thank you for the welcoming.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We also have a weekly Winnebago Owner's live chat room every Tuesday evening, 9 EST. Stop by and join us if you can.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Hi and welcome to the forum.
If interested, come visit us in the iRV2 Chatters chat room. We're there just about every evening from about 8:30pm eastern until about 10:00pm. It's a great bunch of folks!

Skip- Kerrville, TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Welcome ClkCrkRider to the iRV2 website, glad to have you with us, don't worry your coach will be there sooner than you think, think Spring and start getting the items you will need for your moterhome now. Ed.S
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

So it's been a little over 1 month since I put in my order. I emailed the dealer and they still don't have my VIN or Build date. Is this normal?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Doesn't sound right to me. I'm pretty sure I remember getting a serial number and build date about two weeks after the order was placed.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I agree with John. If I recall correctly, it took about 2 weeks to get some info when we ordered ours. However that was a few years ago and it wasn't during the Christmas / New Year holidys.

You did pick a nice unit. My son's inlaws have the 29' Outlook and love it.

Let me also add a big welcome to the forum.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Hang in there ClrCrkRider.I ordered a Voyage 32H on 13 Nov '07,and I'm waiting on my number too.I think that the plant shut down for two weeks over the holidays.I have called my salesman about every two or three weeks to bug him,I made some additions to the option list,and still no number as of today.
I feel your PAIN! Lets just hope that we are not in a "A Great Depression' when we get our coaches.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

They shut things down heavily in mid-December, not sure when they get back to production. Dealer should be able press for information.

Welcome to the forum and to Winnebago ownership!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Took 3 months for my factory order and that is what my dealer told me. Oct. 25th order to Jan 25th pickup. I had full body paint and that adds ~ a week.

I called the factory early in Jan. and they told me where my coach was in the build process and gave me a ship date.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I hope it doesn't take 3 months..... that would be so painful.