Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Howdy y'all : 2003 Minnie 31'

My wife and I just purchased a 31' Minnie here in central Texas.

We are very new to this and honestly have no idea what we are doing. I apologize for all the stupid questions that I will have, I promise to do searches on topics first, but no promises on not asking questions.

Dave
Mashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome and safe travels. There is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know you should be able to find help here. Happy searching.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks
Old 07-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Hello Fellow Texan!

We're 50 miles south of you in Spring Branch just north of San Antonio. Congrats on the new RV. We're smack dab in the middle of the camping "off-season" right now. It's too hot to go anywhere but the Colorado Rockies and it takes too many Hot days and nights to get from Central Texas to the other side of the state.

We usually stay home from mid-june to mid-sept because of the heat. But some people love going out in this weather - it's been 105 at our hose for the past 5 days.

Enjoy the new RV and stay healthy - Texas is hot with more than temperatures right now.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hello Fellow Texan!

We're 50 miles south of you in Spring Branch just north of San Antonio. Congrats on the new RV. We're smack dab in the middle of the camping "off-season" right now. It's too hot to go anywhere but the Colorado Rockies and it takes too many Hot days and nights to get from Central Texas to the other side of the state.

We usually stay home from mid-june to mid-sept because of the heat. But some people love going out in this weather - it's been 105 at our hose for the past 5 days.

Enjoy the new RV and stay healthy - Texas is hot with more than temperatures right now.
Agreed on the heat. We will be venturing out very soon with for a one nighter on the lake. So at least we can cool off there.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashmaster View Post
Agreed on the heat. We will be venturing out very soon with for a one nighter on the lake. So at least we can cool off there.
We do usually go on one summer texas trip and leave on the 27th for a 4-day trip to Goliad State Park. We like that park and it's one of the few TxSPs with full hookups and 50-amp service.

We go outside in the mornings and late evenings and spend the rest of the time indoors with our good friend the A/C. It's nice to get away a little.

We still have reservations for mid-Sept in the National Forest above Durango. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We do usually go on one summer texas trip and leave on the 27th for a 4-day trip to Goliad State Park. We like that park and it's one of the few TxSPs with full hookups and 50-amp service.

We go outside in the mornings and late evenings and spend the rest of the time indoors with our good friend the A/C. It's nice to get away a little.

We still have reservations for mid-Sept in the National Forest above Durango. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the tip!

We are going to Granger Lake in August....but a stone throw from the water. Then we are going to Lost Maples in mid-October.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We are also close by and want to say welcome and ask the questions. What would a forum be if there were no questions to start discussions? I am pretty well locked down as we are both in the "hit zone" for the virus plus have a daughter starting 20 weeks of chemo, so we do terribly appreciate anybody who will wear a mask!
I went to the Pflugerville Home Depot yesterday and they seem to have a store policy now of totally getting out of the mask discussion but just posted a sign and ignore the
the dummies!
But that lockdown does leave me with lots of time to be on forums as way to entertain myself.
So for new folks who want to venture out, have you considered going even closer at Lake Georgetown? We find the COE parks are a great value if sewer is not required, so we go there for our less than a week trips. Depending on what we each like, we find Georgetown to be a bit less muddy water and there tends to be more shade than Grainger. Jim Hogg park on the North shore for view of the water but when done looking at the lake, we like tucking back into the trees on the South at Cedar Breaks park.
A way to stay close to home but not home as it does take two days to get out of Texas when you are not in a hurry!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We are also close by and want to say welcome and ask the questions. What would a forum be if there were no questions to start discussions? I am pretty well locked down as we are both in the "hit zone" for the virus plus have a daughter starting 20 weeks of chemo, so we do terribly appreciate anybody who will wear a mask!
I went to the Pflugerville Home Depot yesterday and they seem to have a store policy now of totally getting out of the mask discussion but just posted a sign and ignore the
the dummies!
But that lockdown does leave me with lots of time to be on forums as way to entertain myself.
So for new folks who want to venture out, have you considered going even closer at Lake Georgetown? We find the COE parks are a great value if sewer is not required, so we go there for our less than a week trips. Depending on what we each like, we find Georgetown to be a bit less muddy water and there tends to be more shade than Grainger. Jim Hogg park on the North shore for view of the water but when done looking at the lake, we like tucking back into the trees on the South at Cedar Breaks park.
A way to stay close to home but not home as it does take two days to get out of Texas when you are not in a hurry!
I am very familiar with Lake Georgetown, we are sailing on it quite often. Jim Hogg is apparently closed for camping in August, so we decided to go to Granger which is a better sailing lake. It is also a COE park.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

YUP! Those personal choices come in big. One reason we tended to Georgetown over Grainger was we did not want the wind as we had a powerboat. Part of the new scene with all the changes required is that there will be far more people in RV and far fewer sites available. Summer months were getting kind of tight before and now with fewer people to work the sites, things are certain to get very tight. When we were out to Cedar Breaks, the parking was full and folks had to walk in, if not camping.
One of the stairsteps in the whole question is that many of the volunteer or contract folks are the older retired group who are also the most inclined to stay home over being out and exposed more. Even if one can stay distanced while camping, it does require far more exposure to take care of groceries, gas, flat tires, etc .
Being away from home turns simple things into a potential killer if you make a mistake.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote