Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Geric

How to ask questions in forums

Can you please explain how to ask questions in a fotum
geric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Look in the forum index and choose the forum category that best describes the question you want to ask. Click on that forum and you’ll be taken to the index of threads in just that forum. To ask a new question click on the New Thread button on the top left of the thread index.

That’s all there is to it.

Welcome.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well, maybe a little more to it than above. If your question is about something not working or wanting to know how it works, then it is always helpful to indicate exactly what doesn't work and how as well as identifying the model and year of your coach.

As much info about your question as possible always makes the answers more specific.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geric View Post
Can you please explain how to ask questions in a fotum
I think you just did. Great job, except you forgot a question mark!
Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Well, maybe a little more to it than above. If your question is about something not working or wanting to know how it works, then it is always helpful to indicate exactly what doesn't work and how as well as identifying the model and year of your coach.

As much info about your question as possible always makes the answers more specific.

David
This is a big issue to me as so many do forget that we have no idea of which one of hundreds of RV the poster has, so asking a question without giving enough info to know is just wasting time, when it can actually be very important to that poster for them to get the info as quickly as possible.
Creative has posted and asked for folks to add the needed info to their posts but I'm sure it never reaches the new folks!
When asking questions, I recommend looking at the question from the other side before we post.
RV are often really complex things and there have been thousands of different ways to build a machine with all the different options, so before asking something like," how do I turn on this light?", it does make it much quicker/easier to know all the info we can. Try to describe the issue as if you had never seen your RV, as many who would like to help will not have any idea. If you say something like, down by the refrigerator, does the person reading your post, have any idea where the frig is?
No big deal and nobody should get too upset, but the best answers come quicker if you give the best info on the first post!
Enjoy and welcome to the forum!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I think you just did. Great job, except you forgot a question mark!
What isn’t obvious is that this post was originally attached to someone else's thread. I moved it here so I could answer his question without hijacking that other thread.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When asking a question, be as succinct and descriptive as you can in the title, such as "House battery not charging" rather than a generic title like "Need Help". It may be click-bait but won't necessarily attract those with answers.

Try to avoid or be very careful with acronyms. One poster posted they were having an "HWH" problem. To most of us, HWH is the manufacturer of hydraulic slides and jacks. As it turned out, the poster had a hot water heater problem. Who knows how many Winnieowners with hot water heater knowledge he missed? Another common misuse is "AC" for air conditioner. AC usually refers to alternating current, A/C usually refers to air conditioner.

Also, clearly identify the model and year of your rig in your post. Better yet, include that info in your signature.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What isn’t obvious is that this post was originally attached to someone else's thread. I moved it here so I could answer his question without hijacking that other thread.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different forum, but I've typically seen that done with an explanation that it was done, sometimes when just moving a post to a different sub-forum.

But that does explain the post. I did think it a bit odd.