Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Hi from NH, new Class A owner

Hi,

I just bought a used 2007 Sunova 35J 22,000 miles, for some family road trips. The big plan is to explore the National Parks over the next few years while the kids are young. Ages 5,11,13. I知 looking forward to being part of the Winnieowner community. I am fairly handy with repairs, so most likely I will need to rely on group feedback and past threads for information over time as things breakdown.

I am looking to select a good flat tow vehicle that will be good for 5 people, I have a gvwr of 20500. Trailer hitch is 5000lb drawbar. And GCWR is 26000. So does this mean I can tow no more than a 5000lbs vehicle?

Additionally I知 looking for a good thread on what tools and emergency items should be carried.

Regards,
JDMALIBU
Jdmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmalibu View Post
Hi,

I just bought a used 2007 Sunova 35J 22,000 miles, for some family road trips. The big plan is to explore the National Parks over the next few years while the kids are young. Ages 5,11,13. I知 looking forward to being part of the Winnieowner community. I am fairly handy with repairs, so most likely I will need to rely on group feedback and past threads for information over time as things breakdown.

I am looking to select a good flat tow vehicle that will be good for 5 people, I have a gvwr of 20500. Trailer hitch is 5000lb drawbar. And GCWR is 26000. So does this mean I can tow no more than a 5000lbs vehicle?

Additionally I知 looking for a good thread on what tools and emergency items should be carried.

Regards,
JDMALIBU

The kids won't get the chance to see The Old Man. So sad. I remember as a kid feeding the bears peanuts at The Trading Post.

You chose well for the size of your rig. I hope you don't mind the noise when climbing some of those mountain roads. Gassers are know to be a bit sluggish too in these conditions.

Read forum threads concerning your coach. There is a lot of help out there for you. In any case, please make certain that your tires are in good condition and not more than 7 years old. Lots of threads on tires.

Tools: Combination screwdriver, vise grips, channel locks (I like the open jaw over the flat one), duct tape, hammer, bottle jack, wonder bar, wire cutters, a few blocks of wood... You'll figure it out in time.

Look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Happy trails.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmalibu View Post
So does this mean I can tow no more than a 5000lbs vehicle?
OOPS EDIT - You said tow "no more than" and I read "more than". Sorry. Ignore me.

NOOOOOOO! It means your hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs or less. It doesn't matter if you weigh next to nothing. Your HITCH can tow 5,000 lbs and less. Period.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

To determine what you can tow, you need to first, weigh your motorhome loaded, ready to travel with full fuel, LPG and fresh water and with empty waste tanks. Driver and passengers also need to be included (you can add your family's weight if they aren't with you. There's no substitute for the actual weight.

While you're at it, you might as well get your four corner weights (or at a minimum, front and rear axle weights). You can use this to determine your proper tire pressures. Search Winnieowners.com for how to do this.

Once you have this weight, go to the following link and calculate your towing capacity:

https://www.lichtsinn.com/blog/how-m...motorhome-tow/

Be prepared to see a towable weight less than you hoped to see.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Basically your towing limit will be the smaller of
  1. The 5000# limit of the hitch
  2. Your GCWR (26,000#) minus the actual weight of your coach

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Welcome! Always great to see another “Bunker” out there! I bought mine about 2 years ago with similar mileage. We’ve had some great trips, just got back from 2 weeks at Disney. (Put more miles on that trip then we have in the 2 years we’ve owned it!)

If you go to the sibling site IV2 and search, there is a thread there of what people carry in their toolkit’s. Off the top of my head in mine:
One of those “all in one” 200 piece sets with sockets, screw drivers, wrenches etc.
Zip ties of assorted sizes.
Gorilla Tape.
Gorilla glue. (Both gel and “crazy glue” formulas)
Assorted adjustable pliers and wrenches
Screw on valve extensions (checking the pressure on the inside dual tires is “fun” without em.)
Tire pressure gauge
Engine and Generator oil.
Hammer.
Double sided foam tape.

In a nutshell you want the basics to fix a car and a house, but usually are just looking to fix enough to service you to get home and properly fix. (Although I’ve done several perm fixes in campgrounds!)

I’ve had a few surprises with mine that made for fun lessons but overall we’ve been happy with ours. Welcome and enjoy!

Tags
class a