Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi from Lakeside

Hello, everyone. I am Doug. My wife is Linda and we travel with our cat, Tommy. All three of us are retired and loving every minute of it.

I first started camping with the Boy Scouts in the 50s. My first camping vehicle was a 1960 VW bus, with huge Thompson checkerboard tires on the rear and windows painted black. I've camped in all sorts of vehicles including camping off the back of my motorcycles for over ten years visiting every state west of the Mississippi.

A few years ago, my wife decided she wanted to try RVing. We rented a few Class Cs and camped in local San Diego county parks. We ended up buying an RPod trailer thinking we'd pull it behind my wife's Kia. My wife and Tommy loved it, but the size became a factor and we traded it in for a Fleetwood Storm 28F. It was a nice rig, small enough to go "anywhere", but we decided we didn't need to go "anywhere".

So three weeks ago, we traded in the Storm for a 2019 Winnebago Forza 34T. Wow! What a difference! Diesel fuel is 50 cents a gallon more expensive than regular gas. Ouch! Other than that, we feel we made the right choice moving up to the diesel with the additional 7 feet in length.

With all of the outstanding information on this blog, I know this will be very beneficial to me. Hopefully, maybe I'll have the answer to somebody's question some day.

Safe travels,
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Congrats on the new coach!

As for the diesel comment. What's the mileage of the Forza? We've been on the road for the past 15 months with our Ford F53 V10 chassis 32K averaging 6.77 mpg. If you're getting 8-9 you're still doing better with diesel than we are with gasoline.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thom,

Brand new rig. I've put 25 miles on it since we bought it. Still a few weeks away from our first trip.
dhuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Your story sounds a lot like mine. We have owned RV's for over 20 years and just purchased our first Winnebago diesel (2012 Journey) We are also in the San Diego area and joined the local Winnebago owners camping group a few years ago, having a great time with that club as well as traveling on our own.