Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Hi from Central California

Hi from the part of California that has not burned down. At least not yet.

I am a soon to be retired state employee. My wife has broached the idea of getting an RV. She tells me I want a motorhome. We don't want to be full-timers, but maybe we would take extended trips of two or three weeks at a time.

We have checked out Winnies and Itascas. Our budget is $50,000, so we are probably looking at vehicles made in 2000-2004.

Anything in particular to look for? I have looked at a few review sites. The reviews for the Itasca Horizon (we are going to look at one of those soon) have generally been positive to enthusiastic. One reviewer, though, excoriated the vehicle, Itasca, Winnebago, and the horse the dealership rode in on. Whatever hints you all can give would be much appreciated.
Cordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and wishing you the best in your RV search. It’s a sellers market for now, but good RV’s are still out there.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordo View Post
Hi from the part of California that has not burned down. At least not yet.

I am a soon to be retired state employee. My wife has broached the idea of getting an RV. She tells me I want a motorhome. We don't want to be full-timers, but maybe we would take extended trips of two or three weeks at a time.

We have checked out Winnies and Itascas. Our budget is $50,000, so we are probably looking at vehicles made in 2000-2004.

Anything in particular to look for? I have looked at a few review sites. The reviews for the Itasca Horizon (we are going to look at one of those soon) have generally been positive to enthusiastic. One reviewer, though, excoriated the vehicle, Itasca, Winnebago, and the horse the dealership rode in on. Whatever hints you all can give would be much appreciated.
If there are any RV rental companies in your area, check and see if they sell any motorhomes that they retire from their rental fleet. Three years ago we bought one from such a rental company here in Anchorage. They buy new rigs designed for the rental market and use them for three seasons, then they spruce them up and sell them for roughly 60% of what they paid for them.

Maybe we were lucky, but in 2018 we got a 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q for about $48,000 and it was in exceptionally great condition. We ended up spending about $52k to add some things there rentals came without, like roof ladder, awning, rear camera, and convection microwave.

The rig had 38,000 on the odometer and we've since added 20k more, mostly in 2 trips to the Lower-48 and back. Still runs like a top!!!
Old 07-21-2021, 04:32 AM   #4
Adventures with Beagles

Welcome from a couple of Winnie newbies! We don't take delivery of our new-to-us 31R until next week. We live in PA but love the Paso Robles area. Just about moved there a few years ago. My wife misses her Elephant Seals! Enjoy the memories in whatever rig you end up with!
BeaglesRUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi,

We bought our 2004 30' Class C Winnie last summet for $23k. The Ford E450 chassis has only 13,000 original miles. I did spend $5000 to get all new tires and suspension upgrades to make it more drivable.

I have been VERY impressed with the build quality of our '04, considering what i read about new units being built today.

Tip: We initially were looking for a 25 footer. We thought this 30 was over kill, but bought it because of the low miles. Now that we have used it for several trips, it doesn't at all seem too big. I thought 30 feet would be cumbersome to maneuver. Not true. It's very nimble.

Good luck!
DesertRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Take a look at the Winnie Via, a very short- 25' Class A MH built on the Mercedes Sprinter diesel chassis. Winnie built them from about 2010 to about 2018. A year or so ago you could buy a 2012 within your budget. Don't know about today.

It is short enough to be maneuverable. I can get ours into many short and winding entry state park campgrounds. But being a Class A it has lots of room inside.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
If there are any RV rental companies in your area, check and see if they sell any motorhomes that they retire from their rental fleet. Three years ago we bought one from such a rental company here in Anchorage. They buy new rigs designed for the rental market and use them for three seasons, then they spruce them up and sell them for roughly 60% of what they paid for them.

Maybe we were lucky, but in 2018 we got a 2016 Minnie Winnie 27Q for about $48,000 and it was in exceptionally great condition. We ended up spending about $52k to add some things there rentals came without, like roof ladder, awning, rear camera, and convection microwave.

The rig had 38,000 on the odometer and we've since added 20k more, mostly in 2 trips to the Lower-48 and back. Still runs like a top!!!
Thanks, akeagle. That's a great idea. We do have a rental place about half an hour away. We also have a consignment place here in town which gives us an opportunity to look at various models (they even get Class B's) and whose prices seem in line with NADA values.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

In case you weren't aware of it, Winnebagos and Itascas are essentially identical, except for the model name and, in some years, finish and standard equipment details. For the most part, it doesn't matter which "brand" you choose. The original brochures are usually available online for comparison. Here are links to the 2004 Horizon and Vectra brochures:

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/04Horizonbro.pdf
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/04Vectrabro.pdf

Here's a link to a comparison from 2015 but it's missing some of the earlier models. For example, the Winnebago equivalent of the Itasca Horizon is the Vectra and neither is on the list:
https://www.colonialrv.com/itasca-wi...l-equivalents/

All Winnebago and Itasca models have model numbers which will cross-reference to each other when there is an equivalent. For example the Winnebago Adventurer 35U shares the model number M-35U with the Itasca Suncruiser 35U.

Further, for gas motorhomes, depending on the model, both may be available with a choice of chassis. The Adventurer/Suncruiser M-35U, comes with either a Workhorse or a Ford chassis. The choice of chassis is one of those personal preference things but, from what I've read, the Workhorse seems to handle a bit better and some prefer its Allison transmission (I have a Workhorse). On the other hand many prefer the Ford F-53.
Google "Ford vs. Workhorse chassis" and you'll be inundated with discussions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=work...4dUDCA4&uact=5

You can easily see the Winnebago vs. Itasca model equivalents in NADA's site.
Here are the links for 2004:

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2004/Winnebago
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2004/Itasca

And here's a link to some of many Winnieowners discussions on the general Winnebago vs. Itasca topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=winn...4dUDCA4&uact=5

Note that, when searching Winnieowners.com and its sister site IRV2.com, it's best to use the Google search block near the top of the page instead of the Search function in the toolbar, which doesn't seem to do as good a job.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Smile Winnebagos and Itascas

Thanks BobC. I did know Itascas were made by Winnebago but didn't know they were essentially the same vehicle. Like the old Isuzu Rodeos and Honda Passports. The info and links are very helpful.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordo View Post
Thanks BobC. I did know Itascas were made by Winnebago but didn't know they were essentially the same vehicle. Like the old Isuzu Rodeos and Honda Passports. The info and links are very helpful.
I'm glad to be of help, I know The Winnebago/Itasca issue confused me a bit after I got started. Although you mention the Horizon, are you focused on Diesels or are you open to gas MHs as well? And what size range?

It may be a myth, but I've read many times that RVs in general decreased in quality after the "Great Recession" of 2008.

https://archive.curbed.com/2019/9/18...s-poor-quality

Personally, I prefer buying used from an owner/seller rather than a dealer. The best owner/seller to buy from is someone who is clearly knowledgeable, loved their MH, took good care of it, points out all its good points and maybe things like that broken skylight they fixed a few years ago, etc. You'll be able to pick up on this pride of ownership right away and, the more educated you are the better.

And, forget the idea of buying from a dealer because of future maintenance and support. In most cases they're the last place you want to go for maintenance and almost never provide much support. Alternatively, a good, independent shop or mobile RV repair guy and a reputable, independent truck shop is the way to go.

Good luck.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california