Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. Water line disinfecting question.

Many folks add chlorine to the water tank then pump it through all the lines leaving it for 4 - 12 hours. Then you need to drain the tank and flush the system with fresh water. With a 70 gallon tank I hesitate to do this due to the amount of water waste. The other option is to add a small amount of chlorine to each fill. Has anyone had success with this method? We fill before leaving home (short 1-2 week trips) and have chlorinated city water. Maybe that is enough to keep the lines clean? Any input is appreciated!
Bruce Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My way may not be the correct way, but its worked for me for many years. I tried once to disinfect the fresh water holding tank. I found that to be a large waste of time and water. One would have to put water in the tank add bleach and drive around to have the bleach water mix splash up on the sides and top of the tank. Once done with that one would have to empty the tank, fill again to drive around to wash the sides and top of tank. This may not be the way folks do the tank but thats how I would do it.

I do not disinfect the fresh water tank. I do disinfect the water lines. I use a 1/4 bleach in a gal. water. I use the winterizing hose to suck the mixture into the lines. Let site, rise and way we go.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the info! That sounds like the sane way to approach it. Do you do that once a year as part of the winter prep.
Bruce Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't have to drive around. Pour liquid Clorox in the hose (disinfects the hose at the same time), connect hose and fill the tank. When the overflow starts leaking I shut the water off and wait 4 hours. The overflow of water means that every part of the inside of the tank has a solution on it. Same for when rinsing. I have never had a problem with drinking water.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water