Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help! 2003 Journey DL 36GD Batteries

Hi. I’m Jodi and my husband is Marlin. I teach students with disabilities and my husband is a realtor and Gulf War veteran. We have zero experience with RV’s, campers, etc. That being said, we just bought a repossessed 2003 Journey DL 36GD. It does not have any batteries and we have no idea what kind or how many we need to buy. It looks like there may have been 4 or 6 batteries in the compartment once upon a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Jodi,
In your
Owner's Manual,
you will find this description of the House Batteries on page 6-11:
  • Deep-cycle
  • 130 Amp Hr.
  • 225 minutes reserve capacity
  • 665 CCA (cold cranking amps)
According to this thread:
Journey house battery replacement advice needed
the Journey came with three 12 VDC batteries.
I would also recommend that you get the tires checked-out by a tire shop. If they are twenty years old, they very well could be needing replacement on the basis of age, regardless of the remaining tread.
You may also find the
brochure for your Journey
to be of interest.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 11-27-2022, 07:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A couple other points may help restore it as well. This is the drawing for the 12Volt chassis batteries and how the coach and chassis fit on the racks and get wired/cabled:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_141854.pdf

One of the first issues may be to sort out which options were ordered when new as it involves how many batteries were there! So looking at the small info "bubbles" below the drawing can help sort the question of what to expect.
Top right of first page has a detail AA which has a bubble 22W. To find what that option is, go to the list at lower near right side and find 22W gives you two batteries! So match what you find on cables, etc. to the correct drawing for that? Look really close for the positive (+) and negative battery markings on the drawing as they are dim but there!
Don't try to sort how to wire for two if it only came with one, right?
A second point which may help, if the ID tape has not fallen off is the way Winnebago labeled them when new with tape near the cable ends to match this list:
Click image for larger version

Name:	f battery cable code.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	184700

Total wiring section here:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Good luck on the project!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi and welcome!

In general your Journey would come from the factory with two separate battery banks - one “House” bank to power 12v lights and systems and another “Chassis” bank to start the diesel engine, but also serve other specific needs such as motorized steps, generator starting and slide motors, etc.

Without checking your owners manual (see the link in post No 2.) I’ve been told the Journey usually had 2-Chassis batteries in that bank and 3-House deep cycle batteries in that bank.

However, keep in mind that your motorhome is 20-years old and previous owners could have changed the House bank to any number of batteries 3 (stock), 4, 6 or more.

Tags
batteries, journey