Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hello! - Spirit Owner

Good evening!

I became a reluctant Spirit owner in 2012, when my late husband bought an (imported into Germany, where we then lived, by another American with the military) 1993 Itasca Spirit RB.

We re-imported it when my husband retired in 2013, and since then it has mostly sat outside in storage, apart from two trips that we made, the last of which was 6(!) years ago.

So...it's obviously been sitting for a looooong time. It used to run, and until maybe 2 years ago I used to go and start it up occasionally and run the generator. Last time I tried to start it, no dice. Oh, it's also got a dreadful case of rust on the hood; I think that is going to need to be replaced.

The roof has leaked in the past (we had to have the cabover pretty rebuilt as soon as we bought it), and there was no AC unit (we had one installed). As a result of the leaks, there is some staining on the upholstery, and that I have not been able to remove.

It isn't in too terrible a condition inside, for all of that. Of course, entropy may have caused more damage than I anticipate....

Long story short, my husband passed in 2019. I've since met a wonderful fellow who is a pretty fair mechanic, and he is very keen indeed to renovate and repair the van!

So, here I am, in the hopes of picking up whatever ideas, encouragement, advice etc you lovely people might have to share!

Thanks, and I look forward to learning from you all!
MCPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe I see a very similar model on my walks with my dog Grace. It too just sits in the driveway. It would be great to get yours all restored. Just in case you haven't seen it, here is the original brochure for the 1993 Itasca Spirit RB.
It is a noble effort to get the 28 year old motorhome back in action. Keep us posted as to how it is goes, OK?
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5