Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello, popping in with my 89 Chieftain 23' from NY

She's in need of some color therapy, but at under $3K with 33K miles it could be pink.

Now I have to figure out how to use all of the things and clean the interior 18 times. Might reupholster and get new carpet along the way so I can eventually stop thinking about however many previous owner's were in there.

Should be an interesting ride making my full-time home.

This seems like a friendly place, already helped me out today.
Becolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Becolt,
Of the various floor plans, I think the 23RC is the coolest. My favorite feature is that you have a driver's side door, as can be seen in the 1989 Chieftain Brochure. As far as the color is concerned, it looks just fine. I wonder if you could get some chrome wheel covers for it?
Eagle5
Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome. We're looking forward to hearing more as you proceed. I agree that it could use a color change but that should be a pretty low priority for now. Your number one priority should be to take care of any leaks and, weather permitting, re-seal all roof fixtures. And, check the date code on your tires. Anything over 6 or 7 years old is likely due for replacement regardless of appearance. There's a lot on Winnieowners and its sister site IRV2.com on this topic.

If you go to the User CP, you can set up a signature similar to Eagle5's and mine that identifies your model and year. That way you don't have to enter it every time you post and we'll all know what you're talking about.

Many are moving away from carpet to laminate, vinyl planking, etc. In mine we have a combination of vinyl and commercial carpet tiles. The carpet tiles are foot-friendly, with an easy to keep clean, low nap. They're easy to install with double-sided carpet tape and, if damaged, you only need to replace the damaged piece (buy extra).

Winnebago has some useful resources on its website including wiring and plumbing diagrams. They only go back to 1990 but I doubt there were too many changes between 1989 and 1990:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2019/Plumbing.htm

(for some reason the 1990 - 1999 and 2000 - 2009 plumbing links appear to be broken. Hopefully they will be fixed.

Here are some service tips (dates are publication dates, not model years):

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...ervicetips.php

And here's your user manual. In 1989 it wasn't model-specific:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...ago-Itasca.pdf
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Becolt,
Of the various floor plans, I think the 23RC is the coolest. My favorite feature is that you have a driver's side door, as can be seen in the 1989 Chieftain Brochure. As far as the color is concerned, it looks just fine. I wonder if you could get some chrome wheel covers for it?
Eagle5
I had NO idea the driver door was non-standard, but I'm definitely a fan

Oh it looks ok from a distance. Then you see it was rolled and brushed on. And covered in batman and superman stickers

and this lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	126327897_1465783506950577_5126366683289086644_n.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	175943  
Old 11-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
color change but that should be a pretty low priority for now.

Your number one priority should be to take care of any leaks and, weather permitting, re-seal all roof fixtures.

And, check the date code on your tires. Anything over 6 or 7 years old is likely due for replacement regardless of appearance. There's a lot on Winnieowners and its sister site IRV2.com on this topic...
Wow, thank you so much, that's a good knowledge-base to start from.

it's true, paint is near to last, I'm so tempted to go with flat or leaning-matte black, but I could really mess around and give it a tobacco sunburst

You hit on two of the best features there: I haven't found a single leak yet & all 6 tires are new, and so they make up 80% of what I paid for the whole thing
Old 11-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becolt View Post
Wow, thank you so much, that's a good knowledge-base to start from.

it's true, paint is near to last, I'm so tempted to go with flat or leaning-matte black, but I could really mess around and give it a tobacco sunburst

You hit on two of the best features there: I haven't found a single leak yet & all 6 tires are new, and so they make up 80% of what I paid for the whole thing
What a deal! How does it run?

And compliments on your signature, I like the tag line.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

(When I jump it, gotta get a trickle charger on it) it feels like it has serious **** n git but that it needs a tune-up. I'm betting I have some fouled plugs, along with old wires as there's a new set of those in the cab. This is my first time with a big block though so my listener may be hearing nothings. It pulls those 11K lbs right along so somethings going right I'd say.

Hah, thank you, that particular pun had a hand in the purchase decision and ...various other things.