Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hello From England

Hello
Just joined today
Have been driving a European style motorhome for a number of years but have decided to explore the possibilities of an RV to gain space.
Considering buying a Winnebago so popped by to find out what’s going on

Thanks
Robert

Laters Gators 🐊
RobertClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome!
Old 07-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran & RV Owner

It’s all about the “W” Robert! Welcome to the group.....
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome from across the pond!

A simple rule of thumb I use is to NEVER buy new. The quality control of the RV industry in general is very poor. Some manufactures are worse than others. Winnebago is marginal at best.

We love our 2011 Itasca. It came with some QC problems that the original owner never addressed properly but, with that issue aside, we love our coach.
I don't know what type of RV adventures you like or how much room you are looking for. You know the limitations of RVing in Europe so, of course, you need to chose length first. Next is the list of things you want in the "house". Then comes the basement. I suggest avoiding rigs with the basement mounted on the slides. We had many issues with a Winnebago that was designed in that manner.
Here is a hard to find resource to keep handy. Winnebago has redesigned there website and things that were once very easy to find are now hidden. The old model brochures is now in an archive. https://winnebago.com/brochure-archive. This is a good place to start looking for a used coach with the features you might be considering. I know many more questions will be coming our way as you begin to learn about Winnebago products.
Happy hunting and happy trails to come.
Rick
Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Welcome from across the pond!

A simple rule of thumb I use is to NEVER buy new. The quality control of the RV industry in general is very poor. Some manufactures are worse than others. Winnebago is marginal at best.

We love our 2011 Itasca. It came with some QC problems that the original owner never addressed properly but, with that issue aside, we love our coach.
I don't know what type of RV adventures you like or how much room you are looking for. You know the limitations of RVing in Europe so, of course, you need to chose length first. Next is the list of things you want in the "house". Then comes the basement. I suggest avoiding rigs with the basement mounted on the slides. We had many issues with a Winnebago that was designed in that manner.
Here is a hard to find resource to keep handy. Winnebago has redesigned there website and things that were once very easy to find are now hidden. The old model brochures is now in an archive. https://winnebago.com/brochure-archive. This is a good place to start looking for a used coach with the features you might be considering. I know many more questions will be coming our way as you begin to learn about Winnebago products.
Happy hunting and happy trails to come.
Rick
Curious, what is a “basement mounted on the slides”. All I’ve seen is under the slides? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some RV's have compartments that come in and out with the slide - no pass through and the depth is not that great. I think that is what he is referring to.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Curious, what is a “basement mounted on the slides”. All I’ve seen is under the slides? Thanks!
Look at a '05 Vectra as an example. The industry tried this out for a few years. Bad idea. If you look closely at the brochure (https://winnebago.com/brochure-archi...5&model=Vectra) you can see how shallow the basement is. The hanger bolts had the nasty habit of breaking and if you put too much weight in the basement you could damage the slide rails. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ha Ha..welcome Robert ..I have numerous relatives living in the Devises and Southampton area in UK and you reminded me about the time my Nephew visited us in Iowa and we took a trip to our local RV dealer checking out the "A" Class motorhomes and he was just blown away by the build of the sumptuous RVs..A few years have passed since then and now we in the USA are getting quite a few of the smaller efficient european style campers ..We purchased our 29VE new from Harrison RV in central Iowa and have zero issues. We winter in northern Florida. Good luck with your camping experience...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Welcome! we checked out numerous european motorhomes, and quite frankly they are overpriced and not fit for purpose if you plan on spending any length of time in one, for many reasons that I wont go into...

We checked out a few American RV's and what a difference, we have slides, hydraulic jacks, large water, grey and black tanks and a RV that we have happily lived in full time in the UK and europe for 4 years now. credit where its due our American cousins sure know how to make an apartment on wheels
Boldero is offline   Reply With Quote