Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello! Looking at 2023 Vista/Sunstar 29V

Long time Outlook class C owners looking at 2023 Vista/Sunstar 29v. Would love to hear from others who own Vista or Sunstars.
Bachs Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Bachs Mom,
There are many posts on this forum regarding the 29V. Are they in-stock at your dealership?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 03-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the greeting! I have no experience in Forums but I'm trying to learn . Yes, there are some available around us. Are you looking at that size?
We really like the layout and all the storage. Just concerned about it's carrying ability and want to make sure we can pull our Jeep Cherokee without the sway issues we've had with our Class C. I will peruse the posts and see what info I can find. I just replied to one thread, but not sure if I did it correctly.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Bach's Mom,
Yes, you are posting just fine.
I believe if you order it with the optional SumoSprings® suspension enhancement, it should be just fine, assuming that your Jeep Cherokee weighs less than 5,000 pounds. When you look at the 29V's specifications, you will see these two numbers:
GCWR (lbs.) 23,000 (GCWR = Gross Combined Weight Rating)
GVWR (lbs.) 18,000 (GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)
So, if you don't overload the 29V motorhome, you should have an extra 5,000 pounds of capacity with which you can tow.
You should also have the Jeep Cherokee equipped with an auxiliary braking system, so you can quickly and safely stop.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-21-2023, 12:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you so much for your quick reply! We do have the brake system installed in our Jeep. I've been trying to research this, but can't seem to find clear cut answers. Does the GVWR include an average load for the motorhome? For example the actual curb weight plus an allowance for fuel, water, driver and one passenger, etc? Or is it the actual curb weight? If it is actual weight, then we would have to allow for any fuel, water, etc as well as any add ons that we or the dealer installs (like 2nd air conditioner), along with food, cloths, etc. Our Cherokee weighs about 4100Lbs.
BTW...the NP version of the Sunstar/Vista comes with the Sumo springs!
Old 03-21-2023, 01:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ahhh, finally found an article that clarifies things! https://www.rvtravel.com/cargo-capacity-nightmare-1077/
So, now to ask the dealer what the actually CCC says on the unit!
Old 03-21-2023, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Good Morning Bach's Mom,
You are more of a night owl than I am!
That Cargo Carrying Capacity is an important thing to know, to be sure. That is the reason I ordered my small 22M on the upgraded E-450 frame; sadly not an option for most builds (see my CCC label below.) Please let us know what you find out from your dealer.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 03-21-2023, 10:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good morning Eagle5,
Yep, I started digging and kept me up late ��. Dreamed about motorhomes all night ��. We realized this morn that hubby had a pic of one of the coaches we looked at and the CCC is listed at 1,610 lbs. So we'd have to be mindful of what we put in it. That # does not include water. Kind of worrisome for those who don't dig into stuff like this, with all the space to carry, but not the actual weight capacity! Wow, you have an excellent CCC! You obviously did your homework before your purchase. I sure hope to hear from others who own the more recent Vista or Sunstar 29 units to see how they faire with cargo, towing etc. Do I just start a separate thread or would they find this one? I really appreciate your time sharing your knowledge!!! So thankful.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Good morning Bachs Mom - I have a 2017 29ve and when loaded for an extended trip last summer we were right at our capacity (100 lbs shy of max) and towing a Jeep Wrangler at 5000 lbs putting us at max. We carry too much "stuff" so I'll continue to look at what we bring that doesn't get put to use to keep our weight below the max.

It's now just the two of us traveling and the rig's layout is perfect for a couple AND with all the storage it serves extended (2 weeks +) about right.

I think you'll enjoy and don't be in a rush as you leave our county, almost every way out involved a steep grade and you'll find you have the power to take all the climbs, just won't be screaming up any hills.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hello JLUSoCal!
Thanks so much for your input. It seems like a great coach. I hear you...we always pack too much "stuff"! I'm just worried that I'll do even more with all the great storage the 29 has. We don't mind the slow going up the hills as long as we don't have the wobbles and rolls when pulling our car. It seems that the addition of sumo springs might really help to stabilize any steering issues. Do you have those? Have you had any problem in wind etc with your toad behind you?
Old 03-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Towing does create more "tail wagging the dog" so yes I added sumo front and rear to help stabilize the whole coach a bit. I also "tightened" up the front sway bar using something called CHF but that might be needed on the new chassis since Ford I believe made the front sway bar heavier(?) so it has less give.

I used to tow with a 29' Class C on the E450 chassis and this Class A is much better. I think it's because it's much heavier duty and built more on a truck chassis. This is partially why I put on the Sumos - to get rid of some of the jarring. That and upgraded to Koni FSD shocks.

You can always add on to help but give it a chance first before adding components. Your mileage might vary a bit as I'm towing an extra 1000 lbs that's lifted and bigger tires, likely adding to the feeling of what's "back there" .

This model is not for everyone BUT it hit all my wants for now (and my budget being I bought used right at the start of COVID and what a steal that was). I do enjoy the outside kitchen too - that's a bonus since we like to be outside much of the time for cooking. The only downside that they addressed now is the TV for me is almost at 90 degrees from our couch (upgraded to recliner sofa last year but bummed the TV is not comfortable to watch from there - BUT the windows straight across are great since I shouldn't be watching TV anyhow...)
Old 03-21-2023, 08:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much JLUSoCal!
We so appreciate all your tips and your real life use and experience. I think we're sold! I'll post if end up buying.
Happy Travels!