Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Greetings from the rain forest

I just purchased a 1988 Itasca Sunflyer 22EC. This not my 1st RV but is my first Winnebago. Since we live on the Olympic Peninsula, I have yet to actually see this little beauty in the sun. It was pouring rain the day we first looked at it and hasn't stopped since.

Not much wrong with it considering the age, but the drive home was a bit unnerving because the windshield wipers don't work. The only other issue we have found so far is the water heater. It will fire up and then a few seconds later red light.

I look forward to sharing my adventures and reading about yours.

Naomi
Frostnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

As a quick reply to help you with your water heater:

* Remove and bypass the fuse link or thermal fuse. This is that 90-degree looking WIRE thing inline to one of the thermostats (It think.) Then see if the flame stays lit?

* If no joy, then bypass each of your WH thermostats one at a time and see if your flame stays lit?

* If not, then post the type of water heater you have so those "in the know" can help you diagnose your problem. ...Usually it's the thermostat, thermal fuse, or circuit board (in that order).

Regarding your windshield wipers:

* Fuse?

* Loose articulating arms? ...This will be obvious if your motor is working but your arms are not. ...And be careful not to put your hands in that area when another person turns the wipers on/off!!!

* Is your wiper switch part of your steering wheel assembly? I.e., you need to rule out a switch problem after you verify your fuse is good.

Note: Wiper fuses often fail in cars due to over loading, but the other reason a wiper motor does not turn "on" is because the motor is NOT getting a good ground. ==> To fix this you can just add a ground wire from one of the wiper motor nuts... and connect it to a good ground. ...And 50% of the time this will fix your motor problem.

I don't know your type of RV but hopefully you will examine your problems closer and then someone who knows what you drive can offer some better suggestions.

For now, I'm guessing your first priority is to get the hot water heater working. Good luck.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Imnprsd, thank you so much for the help. Well, the water heater seems to stay on until the bin door is shut. LOL! DH is investigating further.

He has not checked into the ww issue yet. Will check fuses first. The ww control is on a lever to the right side of the steering wheel, along with the cruise control.
Frostnd is offline   Reply With Quote