Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Greetings from L.A (Lower Alabama, Vectra 40KD

Hello...and thanks for having me here!

I am 65 years old and purchased my first Winnebago motorhome the summer I turned 19. I paid $300 dollars for it (owner said is wouldn't go into drive and the motor was shot). Turned out all it needed was all new ignition parts (old school stuff) and the tranny linkage reconnected. I used it for 8 or 9 years before selling it and buying another. Since then I have always owned more than one camping unit. Last year we sold our 40' Allegro Bus (22 years and 180k miles) and a small travel trailer, bought a Cougar fifth wheel and enjoy it, but truly missed the Class A so we could easily drag/tow our toys behind us.

I retired 9 years ago from the nursing/medical field and my wife retires in 18 months from a career in the IT field (computer geek). Even though we have traveled/camped over 250k miles in the past 33 years, we will be ready for semi-fulltime fun without having to rush back home for the sake of work. At 65/60 we still enjoying backpacking/hiking, hammock and tent camping, boating/fishing, sailing (and yes...boat camping), mountain biking and snow skiing and boarding. We still push and play hard like we did 33 years ago....just takes longer (a lot longer) to recover!

After months of searching, we have found a coach that hopefully will take care of us for many years to come. This weekend we are buying a 2004 Vectra 40KD with the 350 Cummins. It has everything we want with the exception of no washer/drying installed. The extra living room slide makes things much roomier than our old Allegro. Overall the exterior is a 9, interior is a 9.5. The Captain's chairs, sofa and J lounge were just recovered and look like the original faux-leather stuff. Very comfortable. They had a little dog that loved to scratch on them...so they were in pretty bad shape. Thankfully the little dog had no interest in scratching or chewing on anything else. The unit is clean and odor free. Mechanically things are in good shape with a new basement a/c unit (needs the plenum taped properly at the base elbow) and the dash air is being repaired currently. All in all a great find for us.

I am blessed that I can do 95 percent of all maintenance and upkeep the coach will need, starting with all new fluids and filters (everything...if its an oil or liquid of any type), belts, hoses, reseating all wiring connectors with dielectric compound, brake inspection, air dryers/filters, etc...again, everything. It has 51k miles and somewhere around 55-60K I will reset the engine valve spacing (also do the generator as well). Oh...and somewhere in the near future I will be installing a washer/dryer...just need to find some info/templates on where to cut the exhaust vent!

Thanks again for taking time to read this far through my intro. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with the group. Hope you have a blessed day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vectra Sales Pictures0115.png
Views:	58
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	181449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vectra Sales Pictures0110.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	181450  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vectra Sales Pictures0103.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	181451  
FlyboyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi FlyboyTR,
Wow; that motorhome looks brand new! Excellent find, and I'm sure you are really going to enjoy it. You have a great history of motorhome use, so I am sure many here will benefit from your experience.
You might find some of these on-line resources useful:
parts
more parts
brochures
Resources
manuals
Blessings to you and yours too.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Eagle5,
Thanks for the welcome and the links...appreciated. Outside of a little clearcoat peeling on the roof edge and the top of the front cap, the exterior is in amazing condition. I feel we were blessed to find this unit. The seller owns a RV repair shop. His friend bought the coach new and the shop has done all the coach maintenance. He lost interest and sold it to the owner of the shop. He was excited...but his wife hated it and told us it was just too big for them. So they bought a new Jayco Class C that she loves and he hates. They're having major electrical problem that neither Ford or Jayco wants to take responsibility for. Sort of a sad situation.

Anyway...thanks again and I'm glad to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi FlyboyTR,
Wow; that motorhome looks brand new! Excellent find, and I'm sure you are really going to enjoy it. You have a great history of motorhome use, so I am sure many here will benefit from your experience.
You might find some of these on-line resources useful:
parts
more parts
brochures
Resources
manuals
Blessings to you and yours too.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #4
Site Team

You know, I totally get the debate on the large motorhome versus small motorhome. Certainly, I'm on the small side of the argument with a the Minnie Winnie 22M, and I love it! The versatility of something only 3' longer than my truck keeps that size very useful. My only problem is the dog; she keeps hogging-up the passenger seat, so my wife has to sit in the dinette. Oh well.
In this picture, my dog Grace is just 12 weeks old. Ninety pounds and two years later, she now weighs 110 pounds. I think I've lost control here!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Kudos to you and your wife on the active lifestyle. My wife and I enjoy many of the same activities as you and are ready to get out in our RV. I don't want to wish my life away, but I'm looking forward to retirement. I also wish I could handle as many of the maintenance tasks as you. We purchased a 2004 Journey almost a year ago. We love it so far. Blessings, and if you ever get through Indiana, give us a shout.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi again Jim,
If I ever get out that way, it would be great to say "Hi." Let me know if you ever are doing the coastal highway (US101) let me know. We are still taking care of my wife's mother every day, so we are a little restricted to our travels for now, but maybe later? Who knows.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 12-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
Thanks for the kind words and if we find ourselves roaming around Indiana, I'll try to hit you up. Glad to hear y'all are on the "active" side of life!
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR314 View Post
Kudos to you and your wife on the active lifestyle. My wife and I enjoy many of the same activities as you and are ready to get out in our RV. I don't want to wish my life away, but I'm looking forward to retirement. I also wish I could handle as many of the maintenance tasks as you. We purchased a 2004 Journey almost a year ago. We love it so far. Blessings, and if you ever get through Indiana, give us a shout.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Eagle 5

I've been watching some YouTube videos of RVrs exploring the coastal highway. That trip is definitely on my short list as soon as we are able. Such amazing views! I'll definitely reach out for some advice when we get ready for that trip. I also understand taking care of parents. My dad has Parkinsons, and it has developed beyond my mom's ability to care for him at home, even with our help. It's difficult to watch.

2004 Winnebago Journey 32T
JR314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
Site Team

Hi Jim,
That Parkinsons is horrible. I had a neighbor down at Long Beach (Washington) who had to sell her cabin, as her husband became too much for her without additional help.
My big advice for touring US 101 is to do it southbound. It is a curvy two-lane highway, and all the turn-outs would then be on your right, with reentering the highway also a right-hand turn. In most scenic turn-outs, it is not legal to enter them northbound as the centerline is double-yellow. The Oregon coast is very beautiful, and there are many wonderful RV places to stay; some with great ocean views.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 12-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

This thread title took me back to my first day of basic training at Ft Knox, KY in October 1975. We finished in-processing, marched to our barracks and formed up outside to meet our new drill sergeant. There was one Black kid who was about 6' 6" or so, thin as a bean pole and I think was wearing canoes on his feet. The drill sergeant asked where he was from, it went something like this:

DS: Private so-and-so, where are you from?
Private: LA, Drill Sergeant
DS: Los Angeles?
Private: No Drill Sergeant, Lower Alabama

And then we all did 20 pushups for laughing. The first 20 of many hundreds of pushups.