Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Greetings from a new member with 2002 Journey DL

Greetings. My wife and I travel to MT from NC every summer, but this year we decided to sell the 5th wheel and just drive the pickup and stay in motels. At some point we decided we missed the RV life. So we sold the truck and purchased a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL in Billings and a jeep to tow behind it.
We spent three months traveling around MT, ID and WA before heading back to NC. It's 20 years old but we love traveling in the motorhome. We're still getting used to it and look forward to advice from this forum.
Doodle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Doodle16,
The 2002 Journey DL was ahead of its time, and it looks like a great coach. Is everything still working well on it?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

One of the first things to watch when swapping into a motorhome is the batteries and trying to get up to speed on what and how each of the systems work.
One of the bigger seems to be learning how to avoid killing the first set of batterues when storing as draining them really shortens their life and it is not always obvious what needs to be done as there are "sneaky" things left draing the battery slowly----even when we THINK we have it all disconnected with batttery cutoff switches.

Be aware there are safety items n the coach and things like ignition and radio preset, etc on the chassis battery that can sneak to cost you if you don't prep to keep them charged while stored!

Lots of small points that are not well addressed in the manuals, so we have to dig and study at times.
Winnebago does do a pretty good job of putting info online but thet may need some clearing on things? That's where the forum can get down and sort some of those really confusing things you might find.

For starters, have you found the Winebago site?
https://www.winnebago.com/
Kind of the opening for the portal of lots of stuff from sales to other detailed stuff to keep it running.

Hit "owner" near top right.
Go to "owner resources" at top left and get a whole list of helpful stuff.
If you have specific questions, it is always helpful to speed things up by posting exactly WHICH RV as there are lots and lots of Winnebasgo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dl.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	184777

The big ones have things not found on smaller!

Welcome to the group. Always good to have new folks !
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to Richard and Eagle5 for info and advice. Model is a WKP39QD. Initial issues were to add supplemental braking AF1, replace starter batteries and to figure out wht the dash heater isn't putting out hot air.
Doodle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Seems to always be something we might need to check. One of the small helps can be just taking a look at what parts go where. Sometimes the names are a clue for what they do if it is not something we have dealt with before, so this might give some clues:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...O/2wkp39qd.pdf

Down about page187 starts the heat and AC for your RV. If it is blowing okay but just not getting the warm air, I might start with looking at some of the controls that let hot water pass through the heating coil. There is sometimes a valve which should open and close that line and it can stick.
Long time ago for looking at one of those so I better back off and let you look.

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, journey