Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Generator cuts out

We have a 2003 Adventurer with a 5500 Onan/Cummins generator.
We have had some carb issues I am sure from not exercising it like I should have.
Currently, after pushing carb cleaner over a period of weeks with fresh gas, it seems to start, idle, and handle the AC load just fine.
However, when turning off the AC it stalls.
Does anyone have experience as to the cause of our problem?
Thanks so much! Rick
RVRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Genie issue

I had same problem with my onan 4000. It was in rv shop for 3 months for warranty work and the carb was performing the same after sitting. Tried carb cleaner no go. Removed carb and took apart carb bowl and solenoid. Both were coated with a sticky resin/varnish from the gas. Used sea foam and carb cleaner to clean both, reassembled and added some sea foam to gas tank also. Also replaced the fuel filter and air filter and spark plug while I had it apart. Runs like a champ 2 yrs later. Run it under load for an hr every 6 weeks and add stabilizer to tank prior to storage to prevent reoccurrence.

Tags
generator