Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Full timers 2002 Adventurer

Hello from us too, Ken and Debbie Heneise. We’re full timers, six years and counting. Just bought our first motor home, 2002 Adventurer 35U and loving it.

Question: we’re trying to understand the return air flow for the gas furnace and the basement heat pump. Do they share the filter under the bed?

Thanks!
kenheneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Howdy and welcome. I don't know the answer to your air flow question but hopefully someone will show up who does.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have the sister to your's, a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U. As near as I can recall, the gas furnace returns are under the bedroom vanity and in the wall next to the bathroom door. The basement air system is the only thing that uses the return under the bed.

Despite the issues I've had to deal with on mine, I think the 35U is one of the best motorhomes that Winnebago has produced. The floor plan is great.

Feel free to PM me if you want to communicate directly. I've pretty much been through everything. A quick search for postings under "BobC" will show you what I've had to deal with. When searching, the Google search box at the top of the forum pages is the best way to search.

One thing you'll definitely want to check out is the condition of the fittings on all your slide hydraulic hoses for leakage where they're swaged onto the hoses. HWH, the maker of the slides had a problem with their hoses in the early 2000s. If you find any signs, it's best to just replace all the hoses to the unit in question, it will be cheaper in the long run. You can order replacements from HWH by the number on the hose labels. Length is critical. Hopefully your labels look nice and new meaning you hoses have also been replaced.

In addition, read up on Winnebago windshield leaks, another potential trouble spot that you should deal with asap if you have any drips.

You can create a signature that lists your year and model like mine below, so it shows on all your posts.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Hello Bob, your reply was really helpful! We love this 35U floor plan and the basement heat pump A/C, and the quiet furnace. I am having a problem with the furnace damper door screeching at startup and shutdown. I just installed a new furnace but the door continues to be noisy.
kenheneise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I didn't know that I had a damper door! I guess there's always something to learn.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Furnace and hoses

Furnace has no filter.
I have found HWH to have a ridiculously long call back time. Their parts are not cheap either. Take the hose to a Napa store. They will build a new hose to the exact length for a fraction of the price.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvw613 View Post
Furnace has no filter.
I have found HWH to have a ridiculously long call back time. Their parts are not cheap either. Take the hose to a Napa store. They will build a new hose to the exact length for a fraction of the price.
I've never had a problem with HWH. I've had to contact them and place orders three times in the past year. In fact I called them about three weeks ago and the hose was here within a week. By ordering from HWH, I'm confident that I'm getting the right hose.

Here's a Youtube video that shows what's involved and it also makes mention of why the type of hose is important at about 4:02 into the video:

Among other things, the video explains why some hoses appear to be longer than necessary. This is important to equalize the amount of fluid flowing in two paired lines. This is why the hoses are gathered into loops. I've read postings where an owner was thinking of making things neater by replacing longer lines with shorter ones, which would result in all sorts of problems.